WOLVERlNES

Base Walls + Zeds

What’s the point in building base walls, when Infected just hop over them like nothing!?

Zombies shouldn’t be able to climb over base walls, or at least base walls with barbed wire attached.

Would also like to stack wire mesh barriers, and have gate close option from frame rather than outer edge that way players don’t have to run backwards as we close a fence gate.

@ImpulZ please share this feedback with devs.

Edited by RussianReavers
  • Beans 2

1 hour ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

Can infected climb the base fences? 

They most certainly can.  Found THAT out the hard way.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, RussianReavers said:

Would also like to stack wire mesh barriers, and have gate close option from frame rather than outer edge that way players don’t have to run backwards as we close a fence gate.

I am 100% on board with that.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Stagman70 said:

They most certainly can.  Found THAT out the hard way.

Ah, I thought I'd read they couldn't but that must've been players. Even climb over barbed wire fence too? 

That's quite funny then, because lately they get stuck at any obstacle, whether it is a regular fence, low fence, panels on road block etc.. I had an encounter go bad, but resolved it with little issues because multiple infected got stuck on the same place and I killed them one by one. 

5 hours ago, William Sternritter said:

That's quite funny then, because lately they get stuck at any obstacle, whether it is a regular fence, low fence, panels on road block etc.. I had an encounter go bad, but resolved it with little issues because multiple infected got stuck on the same place and I killed them one by one. 

Yeah, the Zeds have a hard time going through doorways too, its easy to pick them off if you have enough lead in your clip for the oncoming wave.

Edited by EzyStriderPS4

9 hours ago, DayzDayzFanboy said:

Ah, I thought I'd read they couldn't but that must've been players. Even climb over barbed wire fence too? 

Yeah, players aren’t able to vault over base walls at all, even if it’s only a half wall and has no barbed wire.

15 hours ago, EzyStriderPS4 said:

Zeds have a hard time going through doorways too, its easy to pick them off if you have enough lead in your clip

One properly timed swing with an axe will take care of zeds.  I had 4 coming at me at once.........4 swings, 4 dead zeds, not once was I hit.

• Beans 1

6 hours ago, Stagman70 said:

One properly timed swing with an axe will take care of zeds.  I had 4 coming at me at once.........4 swings, 4 dead zeds, not once was I hit.

This image brings a skilled samurai to mind.  You are in an elite class of melee combatants!  To have the grace and maneuverability of a sword with an ax is nothing short of astounding.

8 hours ago, EzyStriderPS4 said:

This image brings a skilled samurai to mind.  You are in an elite class of melee combatants!  To have the grace and maneuverability of a sword with an ax is nothing short of astounding.

Ummmm..........okay.

14 hours ago, EzyStriderPS4 said:

Is a fact though, one shot zombies with an axe all day long of its on the head. 

How effective one is with an Axe is irrelevant to the OP, I too favor the Splitting X for One-Shots, but that doesn’t change the fact infected are able to climb our base walls.

2 hours ago, RussianReavers said:

How effective one is with an Axe is irrelevant to the OP, I too favor the Splitting X for One-Shots, but that doesn’t change the fact infected are able to climb our base walls.

Why wouldn't they be able to climb base walls? 

They are not restricted like non-infected; they have superhuman stamina and strength and don't feel pain, so jumping a wall even with barbed wire is totally plausible. 

They are easy to kill and it's sort of like a booby trap for any invaders, lol! I think it's great! 

Building a base and protecting it with walls isn't really for keeping zombies out, though, is it? It's for raiders. 

That's the point and you've missed it. 

Edited by Thunderpants_AU
Spelling error

3 hours ago, Thunderpants_AU said:

Why wouldn't they be able to climb base walls? 

They are not restricted like non-infected; they have superhuman stamina and strength and don't feel pain, so jumping a wall even with barbed wire is totally plausible. 

They are easy to kill and it's sort of like a booby trap for any invaders, lol! I think it's great! 

Building a base and protecting it with walls isn't really for keeping zombies out, though, is it? It's for raiders. 

That's the point and you've missed it. 

The point is to have a sanctuary from ALL hostiles, not just player’s raiding but also from infected.

Bases, as of now, can be raided too easily so they aren’t much of a deterrent against raiders either.

It’s not that I missed the point, it’s that you failed to appreciate the entire scope of base building — which includes defense against infected.

4 hours ago, RussianReavers said:

The point is to have a sanctuary from ALL hostiles, not just player’s raiding but also from infected.

Bases, as of now, can be raided too easily so they aren’t much of a deterrent against raiders either.

It’s not that I missed the point, it’s that you failed to appreciate the entire scope of base building — which includes defense against infected.

I appreciate what is most important which is defending from raiders who will steal your gear as opposed to infected who are merely an annoyance. 

Maybe you need to work on your base building skills if they're not much of a deterrent against raiders, lol! 

If you fail to grasp that the infected are entirely capable to enter any fortified location then you have bigger problems, my dogmatic comrade. 

Also, why in the world are you building a base near infected zones anyway!? 

Someone needs to go back to strategic positioning of bases school... 

😂

Edited by Thunderpants_AU
~

Dude, my base buildings skills are probably better than yours mate, for i’ve built several successful bases on both public and private servers. My bases typically take month’s to be breached because of where I build and how I build. As of now: even if you have a 4-digit lock, top and bottom barbed wire it only takes a matter of minutes to breach the base walls. A pair of pliers and a hatchet + a few minutes and base breached. The best base defense is placing it someplace players won’t easily notice.

I have a base built in an area that only rarely has infected, it’s more of a nuisance than life threatening.

Name a single zombie show, movie, or game outside of Day Z where the point of a base wasn’t to keep Zombies out.... there aren’t any; protection from infected and a safe zone with a cache of supplies is the primary function of a shelter. Secondary is to protect your stash from other players.

If you bothered to read OP, you’d ‘grasp’ that I’m fully aware infected can climb base walls, and that’s why I created the thread in the first place, to inform @ImpulZ so he can tell the devs our base building needs to be more robust so we can construct bases that infected can’t climb over.

Items that could facilitate this happening for construction are:

• Barbed wire should prevent zombies from scaling walls, they’re dead and relentless but only have a finite amount of health, and would have a chance of killing themselves trying to climb barbed wire walls
  • Prop stacking: we should be able to, within reason, stack props to build higher walls and stack wire mesh barriers
  • Since player intrusion has been discussed, the amount of effort required to breach base walls should be longer and damage the tools used forcing players to repair them once or twice before they can successfully break into a fortified base wall

10 hours ago, RussianReavers said:

Dude, my base buildings skills are probably better than yours mate, for i’ve built several successful bases on both public and private servers. My bases typically take month’s to be breached because of where I build and how I build. As of now: even if you have a 4-digit lock, top and bottom barbed wire it only takes a matter of minutes to breach the base walls. A pair of pliers and a hatchet + a few minutes and base breached. The best base defense is placing it someplace players won’t easily notice.

I have a base built in an area that only rarely has infected, it’s more of a nuisance than life threatening.

Name a single zombie show, movie, or game outside of Day Z where the point of a base wasn’t to keep Zombies out.... there aren’t any; protection from infected and a safe zone with a cache of supplies is the primary function of a shelter. Secondary is to protect your stash from other players.

If you bothered to read OP, you’d ‘grasp’ that I’m fully aware infected can climb base walls, and that’s why I created the thread in the first place, to inform @ImpulZ so he can tell the devs our base building needs to be more robust so we can construct bases that infected can’t climb over.

Items that could facilitate this happening for construction are:

• Barbed wire should prevent zombies from scaling walls, they’re dead and relentless but only have a finite amount of health, and would have a chance of killing themselves trying to climb barbed wire walls
  • Prop stacking: we should be able to, within reason, stack props to build higher walls and stack wire mesh barriers
  • Since player intrusion has been discussed, the amount of effort required to breach base walls should be longer and damage the tools used forcing players to repair them once or twice before they can successfully break into a fortified base wall

Sure buddy, I bet you're captain awesome base builder 🙄

And do you realize how arrogant and ridiculous you sound making such a statement? 

You don't know me, you haven't seen my bases and yet you say your "base building skills are probably better than" mine. 

I'll tell you what, since we're making such grandiose statements I'll tell you this: only one of my bases have ever been breached and that single time was because of the recent character mix up when someone else loaded up my character, which was standing in front of my base and thus, when the character mix up was fixed, that player knew where my base was, returned and breached it. As you said, the best defense is being hidden and if this character mix up hadn't happened, my base never would have been found. 

Can you top that, Mr imbetterthanyouateverything? 

LOL, in zombie movies/shows the zombies are the biggest threat. 

In DayZ, players are the biggest threat. 

If you are building your base in an appropriate place then why do you have this issue at all? 

Maybe you shouldn't have posted this thread in the public section if it was only meant to inform ImpulZ. 

As far as I'm concerned, zombies being able to jump base walls is fine. 

If you don't agree, that's fine. Just stop trying to convince me that you are right and I am wrong cause that's just pointless. 

All that being said, I do agree with your facilitation suggestions, though I'm a bit iffy on the barbed wire killing the infected as, realistically, the only way someone could die from barbed wire is if they severed an artery and bled out, whereas do the infected/zombies bleed? 

However, the fact that players can die from barbed wire in game balances that out for me. 

Prop stacking is an awesome idea, as is the damage to tools being used to demolish the base fortifications, especially if said fortifications are metal sheets.

But, I'm sorry, your OP was about keeping infected out. 

So your base is in an area that only 'rarely' has infected, eh? That's a bit strange since, in my experience, areas either have infected or they don't; there's no middle ground. 

My advice is don't build a base too close to/in a town/city if you don't want to deal with infected, it's really as simple as that. 

• Like 1