supernick

one shot death

i play since 20th september, yesterday i lost my 4th character (luck i learn to bury some equip)

i had full assault helmet with visor , was running through a nameless village then bang.....sprint but of course too late, i'm dead.

so it was a sniper-super-expert or head one shot is too easy? 

how to avoid if full helmet fail to save you? and what is purpose of helmet at this point?

Too easy?  .....no, not at all. Quite the opposite.

DayZ is a product of ARMA (a milsim game).  Its about as hardcore as anything you'll find on console with essentially none of the arcade elements of other games.

With that in mind, you do know that these helmets in real life are not entirely bullet proof, right? I've seen AK rounds go right through modern military helmets.  These things were intended to help provide added protection from shrapnel, stray bullets, flying/falling debris, etc. 

As for what they do in regard to an added bonus to armor for your head, etc., I really don't know.  ....but IRL, protection against a headshot really depends on the round being fired, distance, energy, etc. 

The fact is, there is no auto aim in this game. Survival is really a matter of situational awareness, tactics, skill and a little luck.  Sounds like you simply wandered into someone's crosshairs and paid the price.

• Like 1

don't misunderstanding i love the reality put in some aspect of the game, i don't know how sniping works, sadly, found tons of scopes but no rifle to use them.

i was moving (not sprinting just running) , i wore full assault helmet, i was in a nameless village.......is a difficult shot for a sniper? 

it wasn't a rant just curiosity and a little disappointed by the assault helmet of course :)

• Like 1

Maybe you were running straight towards or away from the sniper, therefore being an easy shot ? Maybe he hit you in the face, head or heart ?

Essentially if it's a large enough round at close enough range, you'll be lucky to survive one hit. Me and a friend used to snipe a well known spot, full ghillie suits, M70 Tundra, less than 200m range. It doesn't matter where we hit, usually at that range with a .308 round is enough to kill anything.

Btw, I find M70 Tundra spawn the most often at castle, usually on the rooftop. 12x scopes usually at hunting lodges, combine the two and you've got a nasty gun that will kill at almost any range.

1 hour ago, supernick said:

don't misunderstanding i love the reality put in some aspect of the game, i don't know how sniping works, sadly, found tons of scopes but no rifle to use them.

i was moving (not sprinting just running) , i wore full assault helmet, i was in a nameless village.......is a difficult shot for a sniper? 

it wasn't a rant just curiosity and a little disappointed by the assault helmet of course 🙂

Some people are really good at sniping. They can lead a moving target, hit with accuracy from long distances, etc. You could have also just happened to wander into someone's line of sight or kill zone.  There are players who will wait for moments like these just to steal your gear or just to grief other people by taking sniping positions.

They could have also been stalking you for a while without you knowing, took a position and made the shot. ....or seen you enter the town they were in, got into a position and again, took the shot.  The thing is, you'll never know exactly how or why they did.

When I play on public servers, I'm always acutely aware that I may be spotted so I adjust my behavior.  I never run along roads if I can help it. I'll use the tree line, ditches along the road or elevation variances in the terrain.

When looting in towns, I use front doors, back doors, jump fences, etc. just so as not to have a pattern a potential assailant can follow.

When crossing open fields, I'll try to make my way to outcrops of trees if available and sometimes run a zig zag pattern. When I hit a tee line, I'll stop and watch what's around and behind me.  I do that anyway from time to time.  .....stop, watch and listen.  Sometimes it's better just to bite the bullet and go around using available cover to conceal your path. 

As far as the scopes, they usually tell you what platforms they can be used on in their descriptions. The ATOG (ACOG) is one you can use on weapons like the M4 and SG.  There are others that are described as working on KA (AK) rifle variants (e.g. KAM, KA74, erc.). The hunting scope can be used on hunting rifles and so on. In time you'll learn exactly which scope works for what and which you prefer. Just hang on to them until you find a weapon you can try to mount them on. 

Personally, my suggestion would be to get on a private server if you can with friendly or few people where you can really just learn to survive, find good loot, build a car, etc.  It wasn't until I did, that I finally had the chance to get my hands on things that simply weren't possible on public servers due to duping, hoarding, etc. I eventually ended up renting my own and locked it so only my friends and I could play.  ....tons of fun.

I do believe the helmet does provide some added protection in melee attacks and possibly even small caliber weapons as you might expect IRL. The face shield perhaps a bit more but like in reality, that is really just for eye protection in riot situations or similar.

You want the tactical helmet (I believe it's called) that you can attach a universal flashlight to.  Very handy IMO.  I'm sure what the game takes into account but the ballistic helmet(?) should provide more protection than that riot / assault helmet I would think.  .....still, I wouldn't expect it to stop a rifle bullet.

• Beans 1

If you heard the shot before fading to black he was close, close enough to one shot kill you, at 300-400m one shot wont kill you even though it should with some guns (which I think is silly), so he could of been 50-200m away to get a one shot kill. I think only the ballistic helmet stops bullet damage atm, gorka helmet is just a fancy accessory right now, thats last time I tried/heard anyhow.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, supernick said:

i play since 20th september, yesterday i lost my 4th character (luck i learn to bury some equip)

i had full assault helmet with visor , was running through a nameless village then bang.....sprint but of course too late, i'm dead. 

so it was a sniper-super-expert or head one shot is too easy? 

how to avoid if full helmet fail to save you? and what is purpose of helmet at this point?

Maybe someone even killed you with a shotgun at close range as you don't always hear the gun shot when beeing killed at close range. How do you know it was a sniper?Btw, a assault helmet can definitely save your life sometimes. Even when being hit with a .308 round in the head you might get "ultra lucky" and only be unconscious...

5 hours ago, Kean__1 said:

Personally, my suggestion would be to get on a private server if you can with friendly or few people where you can really just learn to survive, find good loot, build a car, etc.  It wasn't until I did, that I finally had the chance to get my hands on things that simply weren't possible on public servers due to duping, hoarding, etc. I eventually ended up renting my own and locked it so only my friends and I could play.  ....tons of fun.

Playing and gearing up on a locked down server with friends only sound so damn boring. You won't get any interactions with other people and imho it's all about the interactions is this game. Vanilla Dayz without the chance of being killed by hostiles doesn't sound right. Anyway the advice to find some friendly ppl and survive together is right...

11 hours ago, Kean__1 said:

With that in mind, you do know that these helmets in real life are not entirely bullet proof, right? I've seen AK rounds go right through modern military helmets. 

Not in DayZ, it's intended to provide protection against 1 full power sniper shot, at least as of May 5th 2019.

"Currently ballistic helmet (which is highest tier) saves you from 1 headshot when hit from full power cartridge (.308win or 7.62x54mmR) in trade of unconsciousness."

• Thanks 2

1 hour ago, -Gews- said:

Not in DayZ, it's intended to provide protection against 1 full power sniper shot, at least as of May 5th 2019.

"Currently ballistic helmet (which is highest tier) saves you from 1 headshot when hit from full power cartridge (.308win or 7.62x54mmR) in trade of unconsciousness."

Thanks for posting that 

2 hours ago, SillyJoe said:

Playing and gearing up on a locked down server with friends only sound so damn boring. You won't get any interactions with other people and imho it's all about the interactions is this game. Vanilla Dayz without the chance of being killed by hostiles doesn't sound right. Anyway the advice to find some friendly ppl and survive together is right...

Well, I'm not suggesting that you would find it more fun than a public server but I've been having a blast with my friends.

Public servers were great at first.  More people seemed willing to help or live and let live after a brief a encounter. Met some cool people that way.  .....then it seemed everyone took a shoot first approach or would grief / troll players.   ....so, we either will avoid people all together or engaged if we feel they are a threat. We got burned one too many times giving people the benefit of the doubt. Its still fun and I do maintain a character on those servers, but I also have a blast just playing with my friends.

Also, good loot became so scarce it was difficult to find what we really needed or wanted in public sessions.

...so I started on a locked server I was invited to and had a lot of fun and learned a ton more than I had up to that point. I eventually rented my own, locked it and made it available only to my friends. We've had a blast doing PvE, messing around, working together and using gear / equipment we simply couldn't ever find on public servers. 

That being said, my suggestion wasn't that the OP rent his own server or abandon public sessions. It was simply that perhaps he could find an unlocked private server or maybe be invited to one (like I had been) which is friendly, caters to new players, etc. just as a way to get used to some of the mechanics, gear, zombies, car building, etc. without as much worry of other players wanting to shoot him on sight.  Again, I'm not suggesting he abandon public servers if he doesn't want to. 

Personally, I'm glad the private servers were introduced otherwise I likely would have quit until more if the bugs were addressed or perhaps shelved the game for good.  

To each their own but I'm hardly trying to sell theidea that a locked server is more fun than a public one. That's something you have to decide.  I'm not going to criticise anyone for playing how they want to play on their own servers or otherwise.  That's a personal choice.

Edited by Kean__1
  • Beans 1

3 hours ago, -Gews- said:

Ballistic helmet is higher tier than assault helmet?

i agree with silly joe about private server, too much "friendly" for my taste :)

despite bad reviews and comments, i found my second dayz weekend with many more players: there were so much medium server and one was full on sunday........never seen in last weekend.

by the way i still looking for better weapons, you guys where find them? i mean base tents, base main building, base tower?

3 hours ago, supernick said:

i agree with silly joe about private server, too much "friendly" for my taste 🙂

despite bad reviews and comments, i found my second dayz weekend with many more players: there were so much medium server and one was full on sunday........never seen in last weekend.

by the way i still looking for better weapons, you guys where find them? i mean base tents, base main building, base tower?

Again, it was just a suggestion to help you get used to some of the mechanics and such if you wanted to.

I always hit the tents for weapons and even barracks.  I check the green towers along the perimeter of some bases for weapon acc's and ammo. Sometimes a weapon may even spawn there too.  Just have to be aware that others are doing the same thing.   

I just hadn't had much luck finding an AR or AKs in public sessions though. Usually, SKs or SMGs like the USG(?) and SG(?) I think they're called in the game.

Personally, I like hitting up the smaller bases nearby first if I can. Easier for me to recon (to see if others are nearby) and less zombies to deal with. 

Winchester rounds are pretty brutal so getting hit by one will normally kill you unless you got some kind of protection and are at top health.

• Beans 1

On 9/30/2019 at 4:08 PM, Kean__1 said:

The fact is, there is no auto aim in this game. Survival is really a matter of situational awareness, tactics, skill and a little luck.  Sounds like you simply wandered into someone's crosshairs and paid the price.

Before you say "fact", check it. There is auto-aim in Day-Z on the Console versions. Anyway, you're giving it too much credit. It's a simulation, regardless of how realistic anyone claims.

As for the helmets, what it can withstand/protection it offers depends on the NIJ level. And its not just helmets that aren't bulletproof. The same goes for body armour, and no vest is stab proof either.

- I'm here because I too got shot inside of a hospital, through the  concrete wall on the 3rd floor. All of the doors were locked and I heard nobody messing with them. On top of that, there's no way he/she knew where I was. I was prone for hours on end, listening and only ever moved my head, he was glitching 100%.

How do I know? He hit me in the face with 1 round, Through the Gorka/Assault helmet w/visor, when I went back to my body with my Girls account (she was nearby), my Balaclava was ruined but the Helmet/Visor were both prestine. I was facing down a staircase and there were no windows low enough to give someone a shot on my head, especially from underneath.

After digging around, There are ways to see through the walls and use the occlusion inside as an xray filter... This game is a broken shambles and far from being realistic. its one of the closest we have to realistic, but still far off.

Edited by -TheDogOfWar
Typos

6 hours ago, -TheDogOfWar said:

Before you say "fact", check it. There is auto-aim in Day-Z on the Console versions. Anyway, you're giving it too much credit. It's a simulation, regardless of how realistic anyone claims

Yes, there is aim assist but it only works on zombies, not other players.  .....unless something has changed since I posted those remarks you quoted from over a year ago.  The OP was talking about being shot by another player and that was what I was addressing.

Not my video but this explains it:

Edited by Kean__1