hsv7ltr

New Players Be Warned

This game is unfinished at best.

I say this because after the first few hours you will realise the sheer amount of bugs and poorly implemented (or not at all) features begin to make the game less playable and enjoyable.

Development is slow at best.

Although only just released on console the game itself has been in development for what must be 10 years by now. Most of the game is from Arma 2 and one of its expansions so we're talking 10 years of modding which has resulted in a unique yet terrible game.

Your on console, you will never have what most of the you tubers have as they are all on PC.

This is a big one as all console players are hopeful they will get all of the PC features and the quality. You Won't, ever.

These are just a few disclaimers of many I would like to list. In an effort to educate some new comers as to what they are spending their money on.

I would describe this best as being an opportunity to become a game tester, but you pay to test and report on what is broken.

On a positive note this game (mainly on PC) has provided some of the most unique and fulfilling experiences I have had on a game to date. Console has had its moments but the local chat and some of the general controls will always limit what you can do. For example, you cannot be in a party, talking to your friends and also be able to approach someone in game and talk to them, it's either one or the other. Which is ridiculous.

So be aware what your hard earned money will be going towards. 

4 minutes ago, hsv7ltr said:

Although only just released on console the game itself has been in development for what must be 10 years by now. Most of the game is from Arma 2 and one of its expansions so we're talking 10 years of modding which has resulted in a unique yet terrible game.

You know, you can read the full (true) story right here, in this board. Why do you think its a good idea to spout out misinformation?

Edited by MaVerick_GDZ
  • Like 1

22 minutes ago, MaVerick_GDZ said:

You know, you can read the full (true) story right here, in this board. Why do you think its a good idea to spout out misinformation?

Such as?

edit.

A quick Google Search has shown 10 years is inaccurate. My apologies.

Edited by hsv7ltr

Patches have been coming on a decent and steady pace during 2019. Sure development used to be slower, but without any context that always seems bad while there are enough reasons to justify it to a certain extent 

20 minutes ago, hsv7ltr said:

Such as?

This is where it pretty much started. Searchword "Enfusion". Get your facts right and take a long and good read. Somewhere along the line comes another turning point, the reason for the not so content rich 1.0, apart from the hasty release for unknown reasons.

Its not like everything went smooth as butter, but, as i said, please stop giving out false information.

Not forgetting that two of the issues you list are the fault of the console. Limited buttons on controllers, and single audio for either party chat, or game chat.

This iteration of DayZ only came out in 2018 (Enfusion). Console will always suffer worse performance than a decent PC, but you’re wrong when you say it won’t have the same features. It’s exactly the same game, barring the inventory.

Also, the backwards compatibility of next-gen machines, may be the best way for console players to enjoy the game. 

1 hour ago, ThePugman said:

Not forgetting that two of the issues you list are the fault of the console. Limited buttons on controllers, and single audio for either party chat, or game chat.

Not being able to turn on cars lights has NOTHING to do with console controller limitation, same for toggling on NVG from a tactical helmet.

Lot of games on console allow to use party AND in game chat audio, so same here, not console fault.

Almost all this game limitations are just devs imagination limitation, for exemple :

So, just let people who know how console and its controller work talk about it.

Edited by S.Kaneda

Ok I was wrong about the time frame but you guys are plain cherry picking info here.

I mean "infusion" is not where this all began and if that's where they are counting from then that's a cop out to everyone who listened to the crap Dean and BI sprouted before the "infusion". And spent money, so no that's not the start of it.

Fault of the console. Well that's true but never the less it takes away from what will add to, and ultimately be, the building blocks of the Dayz experiences all veterans have had. It won't compare.

I'm just trying to give some of these people some insight into what the road ahead will be like. I could care less about where you want to lay blame or justify the progress.

I've played since the early days of the mod, before Dayz commander or any of the more streamlined launchers. I know exactly what has happened over the years. Regardless of the validity of the excuse, or the reason for the snail like development progress, it is still slow. The game and what it was meant to be, has changed drastically and seems will continue to do so as BI learn the limits of what they are capable of.

It's also not going to be any different in the foreseeable future for DayZ. It's Bohemia's signature move to half finish things and then open the mod tools to all, which is great, I love it personally. But there's no way console will be getting mods, that's why I say they will miss out on features. Modding is a feature.

I'm sorry if this has come off as attacking or aggressive but I've watched so many come and go due to having the wrong idea of what they are getting into.

Every step in DayZ, every expectation, should be tempered by a healthy understanding of the inevitable dissapointment that will come further down the track. Like the game itself my opinion is harsh and unforgiving.

In saying that, I'm here to stay.

4 minutes ago, hsv7ltr said:

Ok I was wrong about the time frame but you guys are plain cherry picking info here.

I mean "infusion" is not where this all began and if that's where they are counting from then that's a cop out to everyone who listened to the crap Dean and BI sprouted before the "infusion". And spent money, so no that's not the start of it.

Fault of the console. Well that's true but never the less it takes away from what will add to, and ultimately be, the building blocks of the Dayz experiences all veterans have had. It won't compare.

I'm just trying to give some of these people some insight into what the road ahead will be like. I could care less about where you want to lay blame or justify the progress.

I've played since the early days of the mod, before Dayz commander or any of the more streamlined launchers. I know exactly what has happened over the years. Regardless of the validity of the excuse, or the reason for the snail like development progress, it is still slow. The game and what it was meant to be, has changed drastically and seems will continue to do so as BI learn the limits of what they are capable of.

It's also not going to be any different in the foreseeable future for DayZ. It's Bohemia's signature move to half finish things and then open the mod tools to all, which is great, I love it personally. But there's no way console will be getting mods, that's why I say they will miss out on features. Modding is a feature.

I'm sorry if this has come off as attacking or aggressive but I've watched so many come and go due to having the wrong idea of what they are getting into.

Every step in DayZ, every expectation, should be tempered by a healthy understanding of the inevitable dissapointment that will come further down the track. Like the game itself my opinion is harsh and unforgiving.

In saying that, I'm here to stay.

While I sort of agree with you, that the development is slow, their priorities are not right, they make/made wrong deciscions, etc., you are spreading a lot of misinformation. Yes DayZ has been in development for a long time (release of the game doesn't change that, by the way). But the slow pace and lack of updates during alpha was understandable because they were working heavily on a new engine. Since approximately april 2018, the game is on this new engine and it is a totally different game since then. Yes there is a lot of features missing from the game but the game performs and plays way better than it used to do. That's where the priorities, wrong decisions and slow development pace come into place.

But to say that this game is a heavily modified version of the DayZ Mod is an insult. To be fair, I don't believe you have been around from the mod, otherwise you would know all this stuff. Watching videos is not the same as actively following the development, neither is playing the standalone the first month it came out and coming back now.

• Like 1
  • Beans 1

23 minutes ago, IMT said:

While I sort of agree with you, that the development is slow, their priorities are not right, they make/made wrong deciscions, etc., you are spreading a lot of misinformation. Yes DayZ has been in development for a long time (release of the game doesn't change that, by the way). But the slow pace and lack of updates during alpha was understandable because they were working heavily on a new engine. Since approximately april 2018, the game is on this new engine and it is a totally different game since then. Yes there is a lot of features missing from the game but the game performs and plays way better than it used to do. That's where the priorities, wrong decisions and slow development pace come into place.

But to say that this game is a heavily modified version of the DayZ Mod is an insult. To be fair, I don't believe you have been around from the mod, otherwise you would know all this stuff. Watching videos is not the same as actively following the development, neither is playing the standalone the first month it came out and coming back now.

All you've done is justify the way it is and call me a liar. There may be valid reason's, that's not the point of this thread. My info is off memory and how I have felt so there may be some inaccuracy, I have admitted that. But it's not far off!

The point is there's too many people buying the game only to be disappointed. You say It's better but that is such a general statement, what can a new player take from that?

Come on guy's, give people a fair idea of what Dayz is instead of trying to justify why Dayz is.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, hsv7ltr said:

It's Bohemia's signature move to half finish things and then open the mod tools to all,

Huh? They have supported each Arma game till its successor was released. Arma 3 has been already released since 2013 and still receives patches till this very day.

• Beans 1

9 minutes ago, hsv7ltr said:

give people a fair idea of what Dayz is

You first, mate. Try the truth this time. Like I said, all facts are right here to find. All I can see right now is a rant like many others, not fully unjustified, but not even close to reality when it comes to your statements.

1 hour ago, hsv7ltr said:

All you've done is justify the way it is and call me a liar. There may be valid reason's, that's not the point of this thread. My info is off memory and how I have felt so there may be some inaccuracy, I have admitted that. But it's not far off!

The point is there's too many people buying the game only to be disappointed. You say It's better but that is such a general statement, what can a new player take from that?

Come on guy's, give people a fair idea of what Dayz is instead of trying to justify why Dayz is.

I'm not justifying anything here, I'm stating facts. You can't just spout shit without looking at the background. Imagine something horrible has happened in your life and that affects school or work, would you find it fair if they would say "your work isn't done, you're shit!"? No, you're going to give them the background as to why your work isn't done. And in this case, you're not looking at the background. If you're saying that the argument "the game is better than it used to be" is invalid for a new player, then the argument "it has been in development for 10 years" should be as well. Because why would they care if they don't care about the background?

Also, everyone who is active here or knows me somewhat, knows that I changed my stance on the development ever since they announced that they would release the game, which is fair imo. Yes, I still play the game (although modded). Do I think the current version of DayZ has flaws? Yes I do and I let these flaws know honestly and openly. However, I'm not going to bash the game and/or the developers with misinformation or lies, that I will not do.

Edited by IMT

September 2019. Had it on PC for a couple of years and rolled with it. My health now means I can not get to the PC very well so took the plune and bought it again for the PS4. Had it two weeks and it has been absolutely flawless. I need to get up to speed with my controls but i am pretty damn happy with the gameplay so far. Infact my deaths have been to my own errors and not to other players so have no complaints. I am sure when we get round to 1:05 on PS4  it will only get better. I also live in the Middle of nowhere and my internet which is at best a pain has been faultless throughout.  😎

Edited by generalmayhem

It seems you all agree it's a mess but it's that way for a reason so that's OK. Except for @generalmayhem who says it is flawless! And @IMT, your playing a mod, only helping to prove my point about console being grossly over priced and under developed.

Hopefully new comers can read these posts and have a little more understanding about what it is they are buying.

20 hours ago, S.Kaneda said:

Not being able to turn on cars lights has NOTHING to do with console controller limitation, same for toggling on NVG from a tactical helmet.

Lot of games on console allow to use party AND in game chat audio, so same here, not console fault.

Almost all this game limitations are just devs imagination limitation, for exemple :

So, just let people who know how console and its controller work talk about it.

Car lights and NVG toggle will be coming to console, though. The whole reason for the delay is the limited buttons on the controller. On PC, the ‘L’ key is used to turn on car light, head torch AND NVG, so presumably it will be one single input for console, too.

You’ll have to list the games that allow party AND game chat, because it explicitly states in the Playstation manual, that it’s not possible.... https://manuals.playstation.net/document/en/ps4/party/p_screens.html

You know, on PC, there are servers that have a voip-only rule. Yes, it’s difficult to enforce, but those servers make for some incredible experiences. I don’t understand why more private console servers aren’t trying it, given the party chat issues. 

Perhaps it’s a limitation of their imagination... 😉

P.S. I own DayZ on all 3 platforms 😘

Edited by ThePugman

I agree with the OP.   Whether his information is completely accurate or not, the fact is new players to the console version, such as myself -are- extremely disappointed with the game, and as a newer player (One that didn't really play PC but now does console), I am speaking from personal experience.   I love the game, it's extremely addicting and fun, but as a heavy critic of games in general, I can say with a degree of certainty that I would never have bought the game at the time if I knew how buggy and broken it actually was and still is.  Even after the last console updates, the game is still horribly buggy and for the cost of the game (I think at the time it cost me $60?) that is very disheartening.  Especially since this game cost me just as much as I just spent on some games that I have been waiting for, -for years- at E3.   Funny thing, when those games released, they didn't have any game breaking bugs. They weren't bug free, but I was happy with them.  And any issues that occurred after were fixed -immediately- to please their players and give them the game they bought.   DayZ is a whole 'nother ball game.

This is what is so unfortunate about DayZ because as a new player that expected to buy a polished and finished game feel swindled out of their money.  In many ways I expect more from game developers - I realize the whole point is for the company to make money.   But when you're in this business - the face of your company is what your selling.  And you're selling a turd versus the golden egg it could be.

That's just my opinion.  Take it with a grain of salt.

• Like 2

As a newcomer to consule DayZ but a long user of PC Day Z I am quite suprised how I seem to be getting on with the game. My only disappointment so far has been from me not being up to speed with the dual shock controller and its not as fluent a game because of it. Otherwise it has behaved perfectly. Had a six hour stint today again and heard shots but still have not seen another player and I have done about 50 hours in nearly three weeks ( I have both legs in Plaster from an accident so have not a lot else to do.) Its only been out since the last day of May on PS4 so give it to Christmas and i will then make a learned statement with time served. I have played plenty of other console games so for me the fact that at the moment I enjoy the game and keep wanting to come back for me says It has legs because if it has troubles  I will be vocal fear not.

Well me and my big mouth ehh. Signed in this morn about half nine and have now given up. Nothing but hassle all morning. Disappearing Loot, sky and ground wrong way up, Lag of the dreadful variety. Hour running the coast and no food or drink but about forty drybags, Zombies coming throuh walls. That was the UK server I always try to stay on. Tried another UK Official Server and could not get into it though it had low Pop. Tried another for the same result. Tried a Dutch Official server and got in but my player would not go anywhere. Have I just found the Real Consule DayZ.  😤

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, generalmayhem said:

Well me and my big mouth ehh. Signed in this morn about half nine and have now given up. Nothing but hassle all morning. Disappearing Loot, sky and ground wrong way up, Lag of the dreadful variety. Hour running the coast and no food or drink but about forty drybags, Zombies coming throuh walls. That was the UK server I always try to stay on. Tried another UK Official Server and could not get into it though it had low Pop. Tried another for the same result. Tried a Dutch Official server and got in but my player would not go anywhere. Have I just found the Real Consule DayZ.  😤

What loot are you missing and also did you have it stored somewhere or on you?

Edited by Guest

1 hour ago, Crazy 8 said:

What loot are you missing and also did you have it stored somewhere or on you?

On me. I would get to a point where I opened a door and pressed the Square button on the controller. The door would not open but I jumped back to the previous house where I had picked up some loot and be minus the loot and it would not be there to pick up again. It was Official Server EU - UK 8627 I also spawned in on the coast and did the usual coastal walk for food and drink. Found none with a drybag at every boat. Does that sometimes happen. I died of thirst after finding no drink or food in any houses I passed. Normally I have found plenty.

This game is a lump of coal, It has potential and a lot of it but If you don't own it Already. I couldn't suggest you buy it in good faith, I have some videos of this game and its bug , Trials and tribulations.  Its astounding to me how there are just so many simple bugs  , in a survival game where you need your stuff to function to , I dont know survive. On occasion , I'd find guns that didn't shoot. Sometimes you would have an item out that you didnt have out on your side (example : you have out a combat knife but you actually have out a mp5 and you are shooting it while trying to melee zombies but on your side you are swinging the knife ) - That's one doozy of a bug.  The Lag in cars is unreal at times, The shore line being littered with Camp fires from people trying to get better spawns, Servers just coming to a complete stand still, Getting out of cars to get the graphical bug of you falling from the sky (Easy kill because you have to relog because everything despawns visually for you) Audio bugs, Where you buddy hears the shot you don't hear it, Then later on you hear the shot and they don't , Items getting bugged in inventories like the car, and you have to wait until reset to get them back , not being able to interact with some objects without relogging, Killing a geared guy who has a rifle, And not being able to interact with Said rifle multiple times, Not knowing a gun doesn't work until , You are approaching a target (This is frequent with certain guns) , Very limited player interaction, I don't expect to be able to interact with every soul I come in contact with, but some days you can play around the whole map, And never see another soul, on a high pop server for 10 hours. It makes no sense.  And the last few times I played the Official and non official servers have been relatively lagger than dayz has ever been and Once you get a bad bug, You have to decide do you want to relog to get into a 30+ que because you see the bullets your guy dropped for you.  

Also Render bugs : Some people not everyone if you look at them in pitch blackness Depending on what skin they have exposed (Example : balaclava or ski mask, Even denim shorts,  It will illuminate their legs or eye holes or face, It only does it to people, I noticed it with a few friends they always have it happen to them , when I look at them) 

Then Light source Desync, (Example : Player a. has a light and can see a light, Player B. has a light and can see a light. Player A cannot see players b light, But Player B, can see their own light and player a's light)  This is a deadly order, Someone could be walking right up to you and you would never even know unless you hear them.

Binoculars derendering the surround areas ( I've actually spotted players in the woods from way out because of this issue , You can see their unrendered body running through the forest and if you stay trained in when they render in you just see them clearly)

Also player weapons don't always show in their hands, I joined a server once, A guy had a ka m, The whole 30-40 minutes I played with him, I seen him shoot, I seen him reload but Never once did the gun show in his hands, He literally would just put his fist up on my side when he was shooting it. It was actually insane. 

Theirs a lot of issues for a game with potential but for 50 bucks, Its definitely more of a 25-35$ dollar game if that in its current state. 

My home server has died, Played it before 1.04 and it was a high pop all the time, After the update it became a medium , mostly low pop, And then 2 weeks later it was a low low pop 95% of the time. 

In like a year or so , The game might be a better state but by then I mean you could play it where it excels , Which is on pc honestly. 

• Like 2

Well I just spent three bleeding hours getting to Zelenagorsk on EU UK Server 8627 ( Again ) and was killed by invisible Z's or whatever again. So respawned on EU NL Server 2350 and got to Staroye where I promptly kept juming about fifty metres as I tried to leave the Police Station and t would not let me do any actions and was killed by Z's. Time for a break I think.

On 9/18/2019 at 8:02 PM, generalmayhem said:

Well I just spent three bleeding hours getting to Zelenagorsk on EU UK Server 8627 ( Again ) and was killed by invisible Z's or whatever again. So respawned on EU NL Server 2350 and got to Staroye where I promptly kept juming about fifty metres as I tried to leave the Police Station and t would not let me do any actions and was killed by Z's. Time for a break I think.

What you are describing, especially the thing with warping back to the previous house, sounds very much like desync. This can be related to the server or to your internet connection. You might wanna check that or look out for a better server to play on.

Played two different servers yesterday Official UK Servers as I am in the UK and they both worked perfect. Had four hours this morning back on my preffered EU UK 8627 server and killed by invisible Z's at Balota airfield again. I think it may be That server as my internet connection on three different check sites all has the right numbers and seems fine. Try a different Server in a minute but another official UK server and see what happens.