Stormyvill

3rd Party sites making profit from DayZ

Greetings, 

I've quite recently ran into something quite interesting. One of the larger communities on DayZ that I've been a part of recently added loot boxes to their server. 

They are selling just about every clothing item that is in the game. They've been doing this for quite some time. 
The loot boxes are what concerns me the most. 
You could argue that all of these items are purely cosmetic but frankly they are all quite expensive. 9 euros for gorka pants, 7 euros for a bandana. 
I don't care that it's to support the server. What I care about is a 3rd party site ripping of the developers by selling their in game assets. For all I know, all of this money could have ended up in Bohemia's hands to further the development. 

For those of you wondering what community I'm talking about, it's DayZRP. 

Screenshot of the recently added loot boxes: 
https://i.gyazo.com/2f8cc16975f49a475136a66ac39d9d07.png

I would like to hear your opinions and more importantly, the opinion of the devs themselves. 

Selling in game items is allowed. I understand that. But what about the loot boxes ? 

Is selling loot boxes still allowed even if they are just cosmetic ? 

You do have choices, there are hundreds of other servers to choose from that are entirely free, Vanilla, RP, 1PP forced, whatever floats your boat.. simply play on another if them kind of practices irk you. 

Keep in mind that there are 118 items for sale. Ranging from 3 to 9 euros. 

1 crate will cost you 3 euros.

Buying all 118 items with loot boxes would cost you 354 euros.
Buying them separately would cost you around 520 euros.

Effectively making loot boxes even more tempting.

If people are stupid enough to pay for that stuff, good for them. If that's the kind of server they want to run, leave them be. I'd never play on a server like that.

14 hours ago, SmashT said:

If the items affect gameplay, it wouldn't be allowed.

That definition is pretty far streched. Even clothings do affect gameplay, they reduce incoming damage, give you space to store items, you get the picture.

...and holy moly, those prices are insane.

20 hours ago, SmashT said:

DayZRP is approved for monetization. https://www.bohemia.net/monetization/approved/dayz

You can read the monetization rules here: https://www.bohemia.net/monetization

If the items affect gameplay, it wouldn't be allowed. Agreed that the prices are pretty ridiculous though.

The other day on the DayZ Discord I read a claim that DayZRP made a mod which removed gameplay benefits (storage advantage) from purchased items (clothing), allowing them to get approved for monetization by Bohemia, but that after they got approved, they removed the mod, and are once again selling in-game items which provide an advantage. 

What about helmets ? 

Motorbike helmet or dirt bike helmets. They affect gameplay or am I wrong ? 

As far as I know they have higher hitpoints, thus giving you an advantage when it comes to a fight. 
Besides, you can buy any piece of clothing that's not armor. M65 jackets and gorka jackets have a lot more slots than a t-shirt you start of with. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, -Gews- said:

The other day on the DayZ Discord I read a claim that DayZRP made a mod which removed gameplay benefits (storage advantage) from purchased items (clothing), allowing them to get approved for monetization by Bohemia, but that after they got approved, they removed the mod, and are once again selling in-game items which provide an advantage. 

As someone who used to play in this community I can tell you that I've never heard of such thing happening. As far as I know, all the items in the store are exactly the same as the ones found IG.