MAYZEE

Cooking with gas...

Whats the best method when placing uncooked meat in pot and placing it on top of the burner without it becoming burnt? 

I've tried the meat on a stick method with an open fire and that works great. However, I would rather not chop trees down to make a fire... to much noise lol

Finally found the gas bottle today and am having trouble turning it on, have only managed to get it going once, which burnt my pork chops lol... is it best to turn off the gas once it starts to smoke?

2 hours ago, MAYZEE said:

Whats the best method when placing uncooked meat in pot and placing it on top of the burner without it becoming burnt? 

I've tried the meat on a stick method with an open fire and that works great. However, I would rather not chop trees down to make a fire... to much noise lol

Finally found the gas bottle today and am having trouble turning it on, have only managed to get it going once, which burnt my pork chops lol... is it best to turn off the gas once it starts to smoke?

I keep mine filled with water too, rather than carry water bottles. Saves space. It also means my meat gets boiled so not quite as much calorific value, but still pretty good. 

If you are sterilising water, once the steam starts coming out, it's good to go. I haven't tried cooking meat without water but when boiling meat, it makes a slightly different noise when it's cooked. The easy way though is to watch it in your inventory. When you see it's cooked, turn it off. 

I'm not sure why you're struggling to turn it on sometimes. Maybe try up and down on the dpad. That changes the option from pick up to turn on. 

Edited by DayzDayzFanboy
  • Like 1

Thanks for the reply.

I'll try using the D-pad next time. The option to turn on comes up when looking at it, it just won't turn on. 

Yup, I've been using the sterilizing tablets for water. Find those often in hunting stands. I'm guessing boiling water helps with bugs as well?

Assuming the gas bottle isn't empty, then possibly a bug. 

Boiling definitely sterilises. As soon as I have a working stove I ditch the chlorine

There are 3 ways to cook your meat. Boiling, baking and drying. I only know how to bake or boil it.

Boiling is simple, you need a cooking pot and water in the cooking pot. For baking you need a cooking pot without water and lard, where you use the lard as fat to bake the meat in. Just put the lard in the cooking pot along with the meat and you're good to go. I'm guessing that drying might be without fat and water but the transition from dryed to burned is very fast. If someone else knows how to dry meat, feel free to let us know.

Now, I don't know how you can check if your food is boiled or not since I haven't boiled my food in a long time. When baking, you can hear a sizzling noise and when that noise changes to a different kind of sizzling noise, you know it is good to go.

The best thing you can do is bake your meat since that gives you the most calories. I always empty my cooking pot when I want to bake meat and fill it up afterwards. This way I get the most bang for my buck when it comes to calories.

Gas bottle near full, only used for a short moment.

Found this info at   https://dayz.gamepedia.com/Cooking

Cooking Methods

Boil -- Before cooking, fill the pot with water.
Bake -- Starting with an empty pot, add lardas an attachment. Do not add water.
Burned -- Cook in a pot that is otherwise empty: no water, no lard.

Dried -- Cook in a pot that is otherwise empty: no water, no lard while keeping items to be cooked under 100 degrees.

Now I see why I burnt my pork ^ lol pot was at 200 degrees, no water or lard.

25 minutes ago, IMT said:

Now, I don't know how you can check if your food is boiled

The noise changes subtly but you also watch it change color in your inventory.