28 DayZ

My DayZ Experience

My thoughts on the current game - for those who care.

DayZ as an Arma 2 mod was the game that everyone fell in love with, and I feel like Bohemia has forgotten that.
Yes, it was running on a "military simulator" engine, which added some fairly "hardcore" features, and that's part of what made it fun. It had its hardcore elements, but it was still a game.
DayZ was always supposed to be unforgiving, challenging, and even stressful at times, but I feel like Bohemia have taken that way too far.

I believe the game is now "too realistic".

• Players don't want to sit there loading 1 bullet into a gun at a time, we want to be able to press the "R" key in order to reload if we have a spare mag.
  • We want to be able to find weapons that come with ammo, not having to search everywhere for a specific type of bullet to fit a specific magazine.
  • We want our character to be able to complete basic tasks, such as pump his/her shotgun after each shot, reload a weapon, and even put ammo into a magazine without our manual input.
  • We don't want to have to press and hold hot keys in order to make our character do things they should be doing by themselves.
  • Personally, I don't even want to have to repair my gear whenever I have an encounter with another player.

I think you have to remember this is still a game, and although we do appreciate some of the "hardcore" features, you have to remember what made DayZ great to begin with, and I believe we are now so far from it.

I don't think Bohemia need to add all of these "modern", overly realistic, overly complicated features. You spend so much time pissing around with equipment, weapons, ammo, and other silly features that you can't really enjoy what DayZ is supposed to be - a game. 

All Bohemia have to do is take a look at what DayZ was on Arma 2 and replicate that.
There are SO many new features in the standalone that don't actually add anything to the game other than over complication, a waste of time, and overall less enjoyment.

Just my opinion. Kinda curious to see if anyone feels the same.

Peace.

Edited by 28 DayZ
  • Sad 1

4 hours ago, 28 DayZ said:

DayZ as an Arma 2 mod was the game that everyone fell in love with, and I feel like Bohemia has forgotten that.
Yes, it was running on a "military simulator" engine, which added some fairly "hardcore" features, and that's part of what made it fun. It had its hardcore elements, but it was still a game.
DayZ was always supposed to be unforgiving, challenging, and even stressful at times, but I feel like Bohemia have taken that way too far.

• Players don't want to sit there loading 1 bullet into a gun at a time, we want to be able to press the "R" key in order to reload if we have a spare mag.
  • We want to be able to find weapons that come with ammo, not having to search everywhere for a specific type of bullet to fit a specific magazine.
  • We want our character to be able to complete basic tasks, such as pump his/her shotgun after each shot, reload a weapon, and even put ammo into a magazine without our manual input.
  • We don't want to have to press and hold hot keys in order to make our character do things they should be doing by themselves.
  • Personally, I don't even want to have to repair my gear whenever I have an encounter with another player.

I think you have to remember this is still a game, and although we do appreciate some of the "hardcore" features, you have to remember what made DayZ great to begin with, and I believe we are now so far from it.

I don't think Bohemia need to add all of these "modern", overly realistic, overly complicated features. You spend so much time pissing around with equipment, weapons, ammo, and other silly features that you can't really enjoy what DayZ is supposed to be - a game. 

All Bohemia have to do is take a look at what DayZ was on Arma 2 and replicate that.
There are SO many new features in the standalone that don't actually add anything to the game other than over complication, a waste of time, and overall less enjoyment.

Peace.

Please don't take this the wrong way, have you considered DayZ (or at least the standalone) isn't for you? Or at least not your everyday play. I have to say as a console player I find most of those features refreshing, I wish Bohemia would give us a Arma for Xbox. Its important to know what your singing up for, and the devs have said realism is what they are going for. In real life you have to load your magazines, you can put them right in your weapon afterwards. Balistic vest are not reusable, one the fibers and ceramic plate are done they're done. So the fact you can repair those at all is a break for us. Its a lot to learn, and can be so tedious at times. I love it just the way it is myself.  

• Like 1

7 hours ago, 28 DayZ said:

• We don't want to have to press and hold hot keys in order to make our character do things they should be doing by themselves

Peace.

No. We dont. 

Very strange request. Without realism, the game will be scripted "call of duty" This is not permissible and does not make sense. Just running and killing with ease is not about DayZ.

• Like 1

weapons spawning with different attachments and sometimes magazines with ammo was supposed to be a thing tho, to be fair

14 hours ago, zDevilDog1775z said:

Please don't take this the wrong way, have you considered DayZ (or at least the standalone) isn't for you? Or at least not your everyday play. I have to say as a console player I find most of those features refreshing, I wish Bohemia would give us a Arma for Xbox. Its important to know what your singing up for, and the devs have said realism is what they are going for. In real life you have to load your magazines, you can put them right in your weapon afterwards. Balistic vest are not reusable, one the fibers and ceramic plate are done they're done. So the fact you can repair those at all is a break for us. Its a lot to learn, and can be so tedious at times. I love it just the way it is myself.  

The thing is, DayZ has always been for me. I've played it since 2012 and loved the game throughout the years. I've played hundreds of hours across various different versions, patches, maps, and even the Arma 3 version. I can't comment on how it plays on console as I've only played it on PC, however, DayZ has always had an element of realism even when it was a mod... I mean, it ran on a military simulator engine after all. The level of realism it did have was more than enough tho, it was still a game at the end of the day. Now it barely resembles what DayZ was, it feels more like a simulator than a game, in my opinion. My only issue is how popular the game used to be, compared to the position it's in now. At its peak, DayZ mod had double the amount of peak players per day than DayZ standalone has now. That indicates a problem. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 hours ago, maxon-69 said:

Very strange request. Without realism, the game will be scripted "call of duty" This is not permissible and does not make sense. Just running and killing with ease is not about DayZ.

You're right, but that's not what I'm asking for. DayZ began as an Arma 2 mod, you can't compare Call of Duty and Arma 2, they're vastly different and that's why DayZ stood out and worked so well. However, DayZ no longer resembles the game it was back on Arma 2. It has moved so far away from what it was as a mod, even though that version of the game is where it gained the majority of its players. I understand that games progress and change, but if that causes you to lose nearly half of your player base, then something is wrong.

• Thanks 1

On the contrary I don't find dayz an experience at all hardcore or as realistic as you mention. I wanted more complexity and more hardcore feeling. I say this because I found it very easy to find guns, ammunition, military equipment, food and weapons recoil as unrealistic as a COD. And that gave me some sadness, because I bought dayz looking for a hardcore experience of a zombie apocalypse. And all I got is a buggy game, with easy mechanics, looting everywhere, life and disease system that doesn't make much difference.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thedarkmancer said:

On the contrary I don't find dayz an experience at all hardcore or as realistic as you mention. I wanted more complexity and more hardcore feeling. I say this because I found it very easy to find guns, ammunition, military equipment, food and weapons recoil as unrealistic as a COD. And that gave me some sadness, because I bought dayz looking for a hardcore experience of a zombie apocalypse. And all I got is a buggy game, with easy mechanics, looting everywhere, life and disease system that doesn't make much difference.

They definitely could go further, and I think they will and for what it's worth I welcome it. I do hope, and I have a feeling you'll agree, that they smooth out mechanics and game logic for things already in place. I really want to see them add the things we've been missing. Fishing being a huge one, trapping too, this is a survival situation after all. I feel embarrassed about this one, vaulting/mounting objects. Ive seen zombies jump walls a little taller than their heads...... All that being said, and once again I think you'll agree if you were here for this, lots of progress since .63. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 28 DayZ said:

The thing is, DayZ has always been for me. I've played it since 2012 and loved the game throughout the years. I've played hundreds of hours across various different versions, patches, maps, and even the Arma 3 version. I can't comment on how it plays on console as I've only played it on PC, however, DayZ has always had an element of realism even when it was a mod... I mean, it ran on a military simulator engine after all. The level of realism it did have was more than enough tho, it was still a game at the end of the day. Now it barely resembles what DayZ was, it feels more like a simulator than a game, in my opinion. My only issue is how popular the game used to be, compared to the position it's in now. At its peak, DayZ mod had double the amount of peak players per day than DayZ standalone has now. That indicates a problem. 

To each their own I suppose. Personally I side with the devs on this one, and judging by this thread Im not alone. At least you PC guys have a wide variety of choices when it comes to DayZ. Hope the standalone adds some of those maps, the island especially. Not holding my breath though.