Why is there posts about German immigrants in this thread.

I don't even.

Because, i had a theory that the word "Zee" in America changed from the English "Zed" because of German immigration in the 1800's after the seven years war, the British and Germans teamed up and took on the worlds super powers and won. It was in all but name the real first world war.

The Germans helped the British and in return we opened the borders of America to their immigrants.

It was German immigrants in America who invented the Hot-dog and doughnut.

I pronounce it "DayZed" as well' date=' although it's not the official pronounciation. It just sounds a littler harder to me than the soft "zee", plus zombies are often referred to as "zeds" not as "zees". But that's just personal preference.

As German is a very hard sounding language and they usually have problems adjusting to the softer English tone, I find it far more likely that the change (or rather variation) in pronounciation was imported from the French language.

Don't be so aggressive in your tone against America (I'm German btw, hi!), it does not help. I never accused you of being ignorant. Also this is probably the wrong part of the forum to discuss linguistics or American history (as much as there would be to discuss), so we should leave it at that. :D

Well i come from the most Germanic part of England, the north east. We have kept our accent and still mostly speak anglo-saxon words in our slang and everyday talk, so what is that, 640ad and onwards?

We say Zed and we're right.

The very first idea of being English was first written on the banks of the river tyne in newcastle upon tyne, before then we were jutes,angles,saxons and an assortment of brythonic tribes.

The saxon invasion was in 640ad BUT the romans hired saxon and angle mercs in 43ad to act as auxillary troops to guard hadrians wall and in return were given land in newcastle upon tyne as reward for over 400yrs until the fall of the Roman empire. So you could say the people from newcastle were English BEFORE the English even existed!

Didn't all the new studies point out that English people are actually descendants of Northern Spain?The DNA studies seem to link that there was very little Nordic blood but instead the "Original English" were people that traveled to the Isles from northern Spain about 5000 years ago when the ice melted and allowed migration further north.Same with Scottish and Irish people and Ireland was even thought of as an extension of Spain.Not trying to start anything just posting what I found a few weeks ago.Just google

"are english people descended from spain"

"spain and ireland connection"

It was German immigrants in America who invented the Hot-dog and doughnut.

Can we put this in the OP so everyone knows please.

Didn't all the new studies point out that English people are actually descendants of Northern Spain?The DNA studies seem to link that there was very little Nordic blood but instead the "Original English" were people that traveled to the Isles from northern Spain about 5000 years ago when the ice melted and allowed migration further north.Same with Scottish and Irish people and Ireland was even thought of as an extension of Spain.Not trying to start anything just posting what I found a few weeks ago.Just google

Now your talking Ice age mate' date=' the earth was shaped like an egg at that time because of the weight of the ice and when it melted it caused worldwide devistation via earth quakes and tsunamis, the world jumped up by 25 meters in some places.Yes we did all come from the bastion of Spain as it is close to the equator and warm hence the reason the mile thick ice cap didn't reach there. we have the same DNA chromosome R1B which spread around after the ice age to Denmark,northern and western Germany, the British isles, the whole of France, northern Italy and the bottom of Norway and Sweden.

This however was like i said over 15 thousand years ago, i'm talking about the last two, but you are right.

Look mate i don't need to Google, i know this shit.

For example during the ice age the gulf of mexico didn't exist because it was land, the Mediterranean sea didn't exist because it was the worlds largest natural salt plain three times the size of the American salt lake in Utha (if not more), the barrier broke and let in the sea after the ice melted, this is what created the rock of Gibraltar, it used to be a land pass until it gave way. This is probably the reason the Great Flood fable is in the Bible.

And Germans invented the Hamburger as well;)

LMAO, nah mate the English invented the sandwich before, what is a hamburger apart from a sandwich with fried meat inside.

Well when I first came to the game I often heard people referring to a zombie as a 'Zed'.

Zombie ---> Starts with Z ----> Pronounced Zed -----> Day Z ------> Day Zed

DayZee. Because dayZ stands for Day zero, the beginning of your adventure. Or so i have gathered :)

DayZee. Because dayZ stands for Day zero' date=' the beginning of your adventure. Or so i have gathered :)

[/quote']

Day zero sounds much better and logical, i'll give you that.

Actually they should officially call it that, fuck day-Zed, fuck day-zee..."DAY-ZERO".

It's a winner.

Claim royalties.

Now your talking Ice age mate' date=' the earth was shaped like an egg at that time because of the weight of the ice and when it melted it caused worldwide devistation via earth quakes and tsunamis, the world jumped up by 25 meters in some places.Yes we did all come from the bastion of Spain as it is close to the equator and warm hence the reason the mile thick ice cap didn't reach there. we have the same DNA chromosome R1B which spread around after the ice age to Denmark,northern and western Germany, the British isles, the whole of France, northern Italy and the bottom of Norway and Sweden.

This however was like i said over 15 thousand years ago, i'm talking about the last two, but you are right.

Look mate i don't need to Google, i know this shit.

For example during the ice age the gulf of mexico didn't exist because it was land, the Mediterranean sea didn't exist because it was the worlds largest natural salt plain three times the size of the American salt lake in Utha (if not more), the barrier broke and let in the sea after the ice melted, this is what created the rock of Gibraltar, it used to be a land pass until it gave way. This is probably the reason the Great Flood fable is in the Bible.

And Germans invented the Hamburger as well;)

LMAO, nah mate the English invented the sandwich before, what is a hamburger apart from a sandwich with fried meat inside.

Yeah its a very long time ago and in a sense it is wrong to say that they descended from Spain but more correct to say they descended from primitive men that came "thru" what is today called Spain.But even today the north of Spain is very closely linked to the Isles genetically speaking.

And Hamburger....I swear I read that it was invented in Hamburg Germany.;) LOL You do make a good point that its a chooped meat sandwich.I guess they invented the name then.

I say zed because that is how I pronounce the letter Z.

The official one is Daisy' date=' just FYI.

[/quote']

I assume this is because most of the time we are pushing them

I do like DayZed due to zed sounding like a reference to pulp fiction but daisy is just as likable too. :>

I say Day-Zed' date=' and I'm American. I just sounds better. Saying Dayzee makes me feel like I'm calling an apocalyptic zombie game mode a pretty little flower.

Edit: I've heard people say Dayz as in Days, or DayZee, or DayZed.

[/quote']

American version Day-Zed.

Australian / New Zealand version Day-Zee (there's a slight pause there, kinda like Day, Z)

It's just the local vernacular, probably specific to each country. How they pronounce the letter Z.

(but Kiwi/Aussie win cause he's that nationality that created it :P