Wingfan

Newbie needs help

Ive been playing for awhile and only been looting and shooting. I want to learn the basics ( starting a fire, cooking food, growing plants etc)

Any help is much appreciated 

5 hours ago, Wingfan said:

Ive been playing for awhile and only been looting and shooting. I want to learn the basics ( starting a fire, cooking food, growing plants etc)

In a word, DayZ wiki. I still use it . .  . . . . its not always up to date but  ...  its getting closer . . .

https://dayz.gamepedia.com/DayZ_Standalone_Wiki

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Wingfan said:

If I were you, consider not shooting so quickly and find someone to interact with.  Sure, a lot of people play KOS-style, but not everyone.  Find the right person, swallow your pride a bit and admit to being a noob and you might find a friend that will show you the ropes.  The wiki idea from aux7 is a good too, but back in the day when I was a fresh freshie, meeting more experienced, friendly people was how I learned the basics.

Dont use the wiki. Much more fun and rewarding figuring the crafting/survival mechanics on your own. Before you know you will be B-lining major cities and keeping up food/hydration on the fly. 

Embrace the lost feeling 

1 hour ago, drgullen said:

If I were you, consider not shooting so quickly and find someone to interact with.  Sure, a lot of people play KOS-style, but not everyone.  Find the right person, swallow your pride a bit and admit to being a noob and you might find a friend that will show you the ropes.  The wiki idea from aux7 is a good too, but back in the day when I was a fresh freshie, meeting more experienced, friendly people was how I learned the basics.

@Wingfan

as a heads up 80% of the people I have met have either tried to kill me or actually kill me . ..  so its pretty much a bad roll of the dice . ..  . which you get. The good guys Ive played with in game, Ive mostly met on or through the forum

Edited by aux7

Have you tried looking for a PVE server to play on, there are a few out there where people are playing RP and although that might not be what you want in the long term, you are more likely to find people that you can play with while you learn the basics.

Nice Avatar by the way, great game that.

On 7/6/2019 at 4:23 PM, Wingfan said:

I learned a rather useful one myself not to long ago, been playing since 3 days after release on Xbox. If you have something to skin a animal you've just killed (knives, machete, for this hunting knife is best. Yes it matters, use what you've got though) you can cook it. Skin/gut your animal (you can eat fat as is, no prep necessary. You wont get sick. Make it last.), cut down 2 bushes (berries are a thing now so keep your eyes peeled) sharpen one stick for cooking and make a fireplace (its small, and you need paper/cloth), combine the rest of your sticks and get some tree bark for fuel. Obviously matches are needed, a flare will do. There are definitely quicker, more efficient and tactically sound ways to cook your food, but it works if your in a jam. One last thing on the importance of proper tools, it matters with canned food as well. You waste a little if your using the wrong thing. Wich is fair. Have you ever tried to open canned peaches with a crowbar in real life? If anything specific comes up feel free to ask. Weapons and medicine are interests of mine. Happy to help.   

On 7/6/2019 at 9:36 PM, aux7 said:

In a word, DayZ wiki. I still use it . .  . . . . its not always up to date but  ...  its getting closer . . .

https://dayz.gamepedia.com/DayZ_Standalone_Wiki

I second the use of this. Just a side note, you get a in depth explanation of not only everything currently in the game but the things the devs intend to do in the future. Some things, fishing being a example of the top of my head, unfortunately aren't in the game YET. 

On 8/5/2019 at 8:32 AM, zDevilDog1775z said:

I learned a rather useful one myself not to long ago, been playing since 3 days after release on Xbox. If you have something to skin a animal you've just killed (knives, machete, for this hunting knife is best. Yes it matters, use what you've got though) you can cook it. Skin/gut your animal (you can eat fat as is, no prep necessary. You wont get sick. Make it last.), cut down 2 bushes (berries are a thing now so keep your eyes peeled) sharpen one stick for cooking and make a fireplace (its small, and you need paper/cloth), combine the rest of your sticks and get some tree bark for fuel. Obviously matches are needed, a flare will do. There are definitely quicker, more efficient and tactically sound ways to cook your food, but it works if your in a jam. One last thing on the importance of proper tools, it matters with canned food as well. You waste a little if your using the wrong thing. Wich is fair. Have you ever tried to open canned peaches with a crowbar in real life? If anything specific comes up feel free to ask. Weapons and medicine are interests of mine. Happy to help.   

Dont forgot you can also make a FireDrill kit for lighting fires. That way you can save your flare