idie

Dead bodies timer

Hello GuyZ,

This is an old one for me, really old one, in fact, since the mod, it always irritated me than a body disappear within a few minutes (10 minutes I suppose ?)

I played last night, saw 3 players, managed to kill 2 and tried to find the third one to be able to loot without being killed like a noob.
Didn't find the guy, I stayed near the bodies the whole time (within 15 meters, for about 10 minutes I suppose...), by the end, I was even directly watching the corpse, but a little bush was in my way so I didn't see them.

Okay, the third guy clearly leaved, I'm gonna loot those two bodies (full geared player), I don't have food and I'm starving so it's really important for me to loot these guys, somebody stole my backpack ten minutes ago. I mean, I really need the loot.

No.... Only weapons on the floor, bodies are gone since one or two minutes I suppose. 😕

This is my life on DayZ since a long long looooong time. I know I'm not the only one, when I watch some streamers from time to time, it happens to them too.

And I can't tell how many times this happened to me, maybe 500 times lol.

DayZ is clearly not the kind of game where you loot right away someone you killed, especially when you know that someone else know where is the body, is in the area and is trying to kill you.

Any plan to do something about this ? It's kinda of crucial to me, much more than choppers 😉

Thanks.

Currently bodies despawn within a few minutes, as long as there's no player very close nearby.

The biggest problem we are facing with keeping bodies around for longer periods, is performance. Every dead player stacks up with their inventories. This becomes way worse when you do not play DayZ with its original settings, but e.g. on a server that's PVP on the NWA only. Meaning bodies stack up way faster on enclosed space and impact performance, probably every single one with huge amounts of gear.

We know that the current solution is not ideal and we'll continue optimisation and balancing to hopefully improve this in the future.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Beans 1

@ImpulZ Are the zombies the same hit on performance? They don't have as much inventory on them. They'll have even less if you guys balance their food/drink drop rate. I think the bodies despawn in 5 minutes? What if you guys increase their "respawn" timer, lets say someone clears out a town. No other zombies will spawn there in the next 30 minutes or so. Maybe that could balance out performance and also improve gameplay. 

Edited by repzaj1234