Sign in to follow this  
rickyriot

Anyone else having problems with melee?

** For clarity: We all know the "bug" where you can't change your weapon because there is not enough room in your inventory to place the item currently in your hands. That is not a "bug" nor is it what I'm talking about here. **

So, for my last 3 playthrough's I've been killed by the zombies, and it's all down to some weird melee bug. At least it seems like a bug to me, and if it is then it's quite the showstopper, and I'll be interested in whether others are suffering from it.

The scenario is generally the same; I don't have a bladed weapon in my hands but I do have one in my inventory. I swap to the item via the hotkey, press right mouse button to get into a fighting stance and click left mouse in order to slash. Fine, we've all done that loads of times before and there should be no problems right? However recently I've swapped the weapon into my hand, raised my hands to fight but when left click to slice it does nothing. No animation, no sound, nothing - as if I hadn't pressed left click at all. This happens randomly it seems. There seems to be no common denominator in regard to weapons or inventory space. If I try and swap out my weapon it won't allow me (except once, and the picture below shows the result!), I am stuck with a weapon I can't use and one I can't swap out - leaving me defenceless.

This has now happened to me 3 games in a row, and although it's not every time I select a melee that's several hours of play that's been lost by my melee utterly failing me.

One time I did get the game to swap to a weapon, it allowed me to pull out my pistol (but not the Scorpion that was held in a separate loot slot), when it ended up in my hands this happened...

L61k7dT.jpg

No, I'm not putting up a defence, that is the "natural stance". I am not actively blocking, although the image was taken "while I was in combat" I did manage to run away to capture this screenshot. What happens if I press right shift (in some way to cancel the blocking hand gesture)? Nothing. What if I press left click, well it fires the weapon - directly up into the air. If I lean forward as if I could somehow tilt the gun to a more horizontal level and shoot a zombie then the aim remains directly into the sky.

I can't imagine I am the only person suffering this issue.

On a side note: I was happy to see the 1.1 update - although in my (somewhat cynical) opinion it's the "let's release the stuff that wasn't ready for the 1.0 release date, despite the game not being worthy of a 1.0 release yet" - but I shouldn't complain as we are at least moving in the right direction these days. Has that update fundamentally changed the way weapons/melee/inventory works? I checked the release notes and I don't see anything listed.

Yeah, that happened to me few times as well. Reported it already on the feedback tracker, tho you can fix it by symply hiding your wapon (that you're holding in that moment)  and the issue fixes itself. Its very annoying, and I hope it will get fixed soon. As I've said, its already reported, so we can't do much than that about it. 🙂

• Beans 1

it's not exactly matching with what you describe, but in case it helps, I had strange behaviors with defense stance after alt-tabing to my desktop/browser and going back to the game.

When I'm going back to DayZ, without right-clicking, I'm on a permanent defense stance if hands empty, or weapon ready to fire (or hit for blunt weapons) if I have a weapon in hands.

If I left click it will shoot the weapon (if weapon in hands) or hit (if blunt or empty hands).

If I right click, I go back to the normal stance, and everything works fine again.

1 hour ago, Vernon_Price said:

Yeah, that happened to me few times as well. Reported it already on the feedback tracker, tho you can fix it by symply hiding your wapon (that you're holding in that moment)  and the issue fixes itself. Its very annoying, and I hope it will get fixed soon. As I've said, its already reported, so we can't do much than that about it. 🙂

OK, well at least I'm not the only one suffering this.

I have to say, I don't believe I can hide my weapon. I tried all sorts of things.

I understand how easy it is for bugs to get introduced, but this just underlines the game is not 1.0  ready.

3 hours ago, rickyriot said:

OK, well at least I'm not the only one suffering this.

I have to say, I don't believe I can hide my weapon. I tried all sorts of things.

I understand how easy it is for bugs to get introduced, but this just underlines the game is not 1.0  ready.

Just open your EQ and put this item on your quickbar, then click it, as you just want to pick it from the quick bar. It works. 

12 hours ago, Vernon_Price said:

Just open your EQ and put this item on your quickbar, then click it, as you just want to pick it from the quick bar. It works. 

I don't really understand what you mean, my item is already on the hotbar. Not sure what you mean by EQ but I presume it's the [tab] inventory. Are you saying I need to click the item in the hotbar rather than selecting it via a hotkey? I'm not sure how possible that is when in close combat though - and it's close combat when you find out if the "slash" move is bugged.

I mean, thanks anyway, if it is a work around despite being a finickity one.

The new UI in 1.01 is a lot better though, much more responsive and (unrelated to the bug) the ammo is easily distinguishable, which is nice I suppose.

Edited by rickyriot