ImpulZ

Experimental Update 1.0150505

I like the helmet discussion, the 7.62X39mm cartridge was originally designed with a requirement of penetrating a steel helmet at 1000m in volley fire .

I coincidentally was looking for a movie to watch yesterday and found a folder of random videos I shot, I have a clip of my SKS punching holes in 3/8" steel plate at 50m with Russian surplus steel cores which seem to be pictured in the icon for loose bullets, oddly the box ingame looks lead hunting bullets.  I'm not sure if the ingame SKS clone has a floating firing pin like the original, the originals can spontaneously go full auto if you don't put a sprung firing pin kit in them for hunting ammo because of the difference between hard military primers and the softer ones in hunting bullet.

Hockey and motorcycle helmets are a thin skin of plastic of fibreglass over styrofoam and will not even stop a .22 or buckshot pellet at 50-100m.

.22 and 5.56mm can pierce a skull and brain without killing in certain cases the 5.56mm mil ammo especially is meant to make a clean through and through wound injuring but not necessarily killing because it actually can take two or three guy out of the fight wounding someone as opposed to killing one guy in one shot. You see you comrade crying "fuck I got shot!!" and human nature is to help him, if he's clearly dead you keep fighting for your life. that being said surviving a piece of your skill missing in the long term without modern medicine is pretty unlikely. .30cal like the 7.62X39mm and 7.62X51mm start to tumble as soon as the enter something soft and start tearing up flesh and brains.

Not sure what vests are doing these day I'm curious about the common misconception that things like the plate carrier are bullet proof, they are proofed against hand gun bullets but most rifles at common engagement range will still penetrate.  

Edited by BCBasher

48 minutes ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

If the persistence is only saving every 30 minutes and a crash occurs, that's 30 minutes of work lost

48 minutes ago, THEGordonFreeman said:

Played a couple of weeks in Atlas and it's still EA, and it works FLAWLESSLY.  We even have 4 Atlas servers using ONE database on ONE server using REDIS. 

hold on a bit.

having a backup mechanism might be a workaround, but it is also highly necessary.  even ark has a backup system built in. that is just the basics covered. 30 minutes is a fairly okay backup interval in this case. it clearly depends on the size of your saves, if you even want that. having dealt with old school stuff like dayz mod or minecraft or even ultima online shards, losing a few hours of progress on a server crash is still better, than losing everything, or having not enough backlogs which allow you to run the server without running into internal issues again (self corrupting world states)

which, coincidentally was the main issue why we stopped Ark alltogether. Ark had huge problems with it's server files. corrupted save files, memory leaks, etc. could create issues, which you could not recover from, if you did not go back days in time. just wait until atlas has also mods and fairly old world saves. given atlas is just a reskinned ark engine, you cannot act, as if it came out without problems and full Redis support right off the bat, without any history attached, or that the decision to run it as standalone might not coincide with the fact they needed to rewrite exactly that subsystem in ark itself...

without a backup mechanism in the server, backuping was impossible in any case, as the save files were rewritten to harddisk and you could never know if copying them was safe. 

Now there are several different issues with persistence here. One type of problem, which occurs if the save files are corrupted, usually if the server crashes while it rewrites that file, is unavoidable in any circumstance, because the real issue is the crash. You can always have this issue, no matter which kind of backend you use. The other, where items disappear because their lifetime runs out magicly, or the lack of an open format for the savefiles to be able to recover data manually, or the lack of a third party storage option, or your character losing items (which has nothing to do with the world save), all these are complete different issues.

Sure, Redis Key value store support, or even, linux support at that, would be wonderful. I would even settle with a more open savefile format, or a documentation of the binary format. But I would not act up, as if dayz is the worst in terms of storage solution. I never had any corruption yet, that I could not trace back to shutting down the server wrong or a crash. 

Having proper third party app support, I am all for that. I am pretty sure, redis and postgres support incorporated into the server would have saved them huge troubles, even if their c++ code stuck in the 80s mentality falls off the opposite extreme than the Ark visual blueprint script kiddie devs.

but if that is so, we should positively petition for such changes instead of whining about the devs. i for one would love if a suggestion thread for such a thing would get more attention, than ridiculous "1 life server" ideas. maybe the problem isn't just the devs after all.

• Beans 2

49 minutes ago, g4borg said:

hold on a bit.

having a backup mechanism might be a workaround, but it is also highly necessary.  even ark has a backup system built in. that is just the basics covered. 30 minutes is a fairly okay backup interval in this case. it clearly depends on the size of your saves, if you even want that. having dealt with old school stuff like dayz mod or minecraft or even ultima online shards, losing a few hours of progress on a server crash is still better, than losing everything, or having not enough backlogs which allow you to run the server without running into internal issues again (self corrupting world states)

which, coincidentally was the main issue why we stopped Ark alltogether. Ark had huge problems with it's server files. corrupted save files, memory leaks, etc. could create issues, which you could not recover from, if you did not go back days in time. just wait until atlas has also mods and fairly old world saves. given atlas is just a reskinned ark engine, you cannot act, as if it came out without problems and full Redis support right off the bat, without any history attached, or that the decision to run it as standalone might not coincide with the fact they needed to rewrite exactly that subsystem in ark itself...

without a backup mechanism in the server, backuping was impossible in any case, as the save files were rewritten to harddisk and you could never know if copying them was safe. 

Now there are several different issues with persistence here. One type of problem, which occurs if the save files are corrupted, usually if the server crashes while it rewrites that file, is unavoidable in any circumstance, because the real issue is the crash. You can always have this issue, no matter which kind of backend you use. The other, where items disappear because their lifetime runs out magicly, or the lack of an open format for the savefiles to be able to recover data manually, or the lack of a third party storage option, or your character losing items (which has nothing to do with the world save), all these are complete different issues.

Sure, Redis Key value store support, or even, linux support at that, would be wonderful. I would even settle with a more open savefile format, or a documentation of the binary format. But I would not act up, as if dayz is the worst in terms of storage solution. I never had any corruption yet, that I could not trace back to shutting down the server wrong or a crash. 

Having proper third party app support, I am all for that. I am pretty sure, redis and postgres support incorporated into the server would have saved them huge troubles, even if their c++ code stuck in the 80s mentality falls off the opposite extreme than the Ark visual blueprint script kiddie devs.

but if that is so, we should positively petition for such changes instead of whining about the devs. i for one would love if a suggestion thread for such a thing would get more attention, than ridiculous "1 life server" ideas. maybe the problem isn't just the devs after all.

I still want to know why the backups are half hour increments, is that long necessary?

The whole set of 12 is under 50mb meaning one set isn't very big at all, they appear to be a snap shot of some of the files in the main binaries that have enough information to generate 2 more files for each that the game runs off of. 50mb divided by 12 isn't a whole lot of information per set to handle. 

Is this system capable of 5 minute intervals? 

Why twelve sets, why not 2 a back up and  a second backup in case the first back up fails too?

Edited by BCBasher

Was doing my thing cruising and cleansing the landscape of infected yesterday, I've see the complaints about the truck and it being gutless and having traction issues and I agree. I will say that I was getting brave on the open roads yesterday had a few panic stops locking up the brakes and the behaviour in a skid seems really good and realistic actually right down to weight transfer from wheel to wheel from bumps in the road jerking the car as it slides and loosing steering while the wheels are locked up. This here was totally my fault over correcting at 70kmh out of a hairpin and not being able to catch my fishtail, had the whole time slow down in my head thing knowing where it was going and it was great.

DB1ED7FBECAC452F500D65201AA7BD49F5D10AFE

I know this is probably old news but the prone stances are pretty damn cool too, 7.62X54R knocks them down one shot like bowling pins and the lighted reticule PSO1 looks mint.

I was super immersed with this in 1pp. 

8DD78113108E0D03EAFBB71465434B19701DB39D

Edited by BCBasher
  • Beans 2

So eventually I want to build a server to put at my wife's house on her fibreoptic internet so it's join able on the internet as an alternate to Skype to chat with my kids and play a game they all liked playing with me.

I own two client copies of the game and see I can run and join my LAN server without steam running meaning I could do two clients and a server in my house, can I or will I be able to have an internet join-able server without a third licence for the server alone? 

I'm going to be pissed at this point if I have to buy a third copy just for a server at full price.

I can't test this in house right now because I have cellular internet and no fixed IP address, got a good guy at my ISP's tech support who knew what I was trying to do and told me why I can't.