No One With That Name

Connecting Failed - SUPPORT

Not sure where to report this...

Just installed an update to via Steam. to v.1.0.150408

After this update... the game loads but every time I select the "Play" option...

give it a couple seconds - and it displays "Connecting Failed".

Game was running just fine for weeks - even after multiple updates.

8 minutes ago, No One With That Name said:

After this update... the game loads but every time I select the "Play" option...

That's the new EXP build?

Not sure if you tried, they said verify your game files before playing.

I'm in the same boat but trying to play EXP on my home server so that's probably not helping. 

It the exp build. That loads without issue.

The game itself loads - gets to the Main Menu.

But selecting Play just fails every time now.

Have tried restarting the computer / reinstalling the files... no go.

13 minutes ago, No One With That Name said:

It the exp build. That loads without issue.

The game itself loads - gets to the Main Menu.

But selecting Play just fails every time now.

Have tried restarting the computer / reinstalling the files... no go.

I'm having the exact same problem joining my home server but as far as I can ascertain the server files outside official EXP servers aren't updated for it.

If you don't know how to "verify the integrity of game files", look that up, it fixes a ton of problems without re-downloading and it was stated to "do it".

BTW I played this morning fine, went and had a shower and couldn't rejoin, don't know if mine updated while in the shower?

I'm just going back to stable until the server portion is fixed because I hate people.

All the files validated.

I thought running a local server required the experimental mode.

If can't run the local server... then basically there's no point to the game for me.

Which sucks. Because I like the game 😞

11 minutes ago, No One With That Name said:

All the files validated.

I thought running a local server required the experimental mode.

If can't run the local server... then basically there's no point to the game for me.

Which sucks. Because I like the game 😞

Rolled back to stable and could join my server, spawn in completely normal, no input from mouse or keyboard.

For fuck sake BI you couldn't organise a gangbang at whorehouse with a fist full of hundreds?

Figured I'd take a year off and come back to something worth playing, fuck you.

Edited by BCBasher

2 hours ago, No One With That Name said:

Just clicking play lets you join on the last server you were on which was a stable build.  That is why you are getting connection failed.  Use the server browser and type experimental in the search area

6 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

Just clicking play lets you join on the last server you were on which was a stable build.  That is why you are getting connection failed.  Use the server browser and type experimental in the search area

We're both on home servers and they haven't updated the server files we have access to, got a compatibility mismatch between client and server.

I half fixed it but I have no input on my client playing stable after login.

**what you said was the first thing I tried**

Edited by BCBasher

@No One With That Name

Switch your server to beta in tools just like you did your client, apparently.

Edited by BCBasher

5 minutes ago, BCBasher said:

@No One With That Name

Switch your server to beta in tools just like you did your client, apparently.

There is no option to opt into beta with the dedicated server

2 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

There is no option to opt into beta with the dedicated server

Home server, the OP and I are running a server and client on our machine or another PC in our house.

Yes you can, I just did.

Edited by BCBasher

Credit to @chambersenator, I didn't figure this one out myself, he answered my Q in the EXP thread.

19 minutes ago, BCBasher said:

Home server, the OP and I are running a server and client on our machine or another PC in our house.

Yes you can, I just did.

I have a home server and I do not see an option in the betas tab.

Edit:  Must've just added the option recently as it wasn't there two hours ago

Edited by Guy Smiley

2 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

I have a home server and I do not see an option in the betas tab

In tools, where you downloaded the server files and tools.

Right click "Dayz server" and you have the option.

The guy who told me about it says there may be issues with using our existing DB files, I'm going to try it anyway.

8 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

I**snip**

Edit:  Must've just added the option recently as it wasn't there two hours ago

That's possible, I didn't think to look at that myself.

Not sure how it went for you guys, I don't seem to have any infected, going to validate both my server and client before I delete my storage files?

2 minutes ago, BCBasher said:

Not sure how it went for you guys, I don't seem to have any infected, going to validate both my server and client before I delete my storage files?

My server is working perfectly.  I don't run mods tho.  Only thing I've done is 5x infected and 4x time acceleration  

• Beans 1

1 minute ago, Guy Smiley said:

My server is working perfectly.  I don't run mods tho.  Only thing I've done is 5x infected and 4x time acceleration  

Thanks, no mods or tweaks of any kind here, just 1:1 time, won't jump the gun on deleting my database then.

2 minutes ago, BCBasher said:

Thanks, no mods or tweaks of any kind here, just 1:1 time, won't jump the gun on deleting my database then.

Ya, I don't get why you would have zero infected roaming around.  Could be just an odd server start maybe.  Stop it and restart to see what happens.  Otherwise, I dunno what to tell you.  What kind of computer are you trying to run your server on?

45 minutes ago, Guy Smiley said:

Ya, I don't get why you would have zero infected roaming around.  Could be just an odd server start maybe.  Stop it and restart to see what happens.  Otherwise, I dunno what to tell you.  What kind of computer are you trying to run your server on?

Not sure if a restart fixed it or it was just slow to populate, I logged out in the military camp in Cherno before I posted. As I ran back to my barrels I saw one then two together and it finally came back up to about the levels I'd been seeing in the area.

I have DayZ running through Steam in Experimental mode.

Also wanted to state - NO MODS. Plain Vanilla DayZ.

I just "opted out of all Betas"... and this forced Steam to re-download DayZ.

----------> (To opt-out of beta... I had to open Steam / right-click on DayZ / select Properties / select Betas / select Opt Out).

The DayZ server is a separate application outside of Steam that I have to run before loading the game.

---------> I thought you had to be in Experimental mode - in order to run the local DayZ server.

===============================

(long wait for the game to re-download)

So - now that the download (via Steam) is done (non beta mode)... here's a test:

TEST 1

1) Start DayZ server (load successful)

2) (After DayZ Server has started)..... Start Steam (load successful)

3) Start DayZ (load successful)

4) Select Play

--------> (game starts successfully. I spawned in the location I was at when I last exited... so location / item database appears to be ok) 

RESULT: Even though everything seems to have worked... I have NO KEYBOARD and NO MOUSE controls. Nothing.

I can't even exit the game without using ALT + TAB to force kill the game.

TEST 2 - Everything loaded ok. Same results. NO KEYBOARD / NO MOUSE controls.

Reselect beta mode (via Steam). Interesting that it doesn't require you to enter the beta code.

Selecting "Check Code" does nothing... but it re-queue an update... so I'm guessing it will re-download the Experimental version.

After re-download (Experimental mode)... Steam immediately RE-QUEUE ANOTHER UPDATE...

--------> now downloading the 2nd update... which I'm hoping doesn't throw me right back into the original problem...

and... here goes...

TEST 3 - Same as original results. The game does not connect... and displays a "Connecting Failed" error message.

IN CONCLUSION

In non-experimental mode everything loads but player does not have any keyboard or mouse.

In experimental mode everything loads but cannot connect.

Is there no way to contact BI / DayZ support ?

1 hour ago, No One With That Name said:

Is there no way to contact BI / DayZ support ?

https://feedback.bistudio.com/

I have DayZ running through Steam in Experimental mode.

Also wanted to state - NO MODS. Plain Vanilla DayZ.

I just "opted out of all Betas"... and this forced Steam to re-download DayZ.

----------> (To opt-out of beta... I had to open Steam / right-click on DayZ / select Properties / select Betas / select Opt Out).

The DayZ server is a separate application outside of Steam that I have to run before loading the game.

---------> I thought you had to be in Experimental mode - in order to run the local DayZ server.

So - now that the download (via Steam) is done (non beta mode)... here's a test:

[...]

Reselect beta mode (via Steam). Interesting that it doesn't require you to enter the beta code.

Selecting "Check Code" does nothing... but it re-queue an update... so I'm guessing it will re-download the Experimental version.

After re-download (Experimental mode)... Steam immediately RE-QUEUE ANOTHER UPDATE...

--------> now downloading the 2nd update... which I'm hoping doesn't throw me right back into the original problem...

I'm not sure if you got some things fundamentally wrong. So let me clear this up.

Stable branch and experimental branch are running different versions (most of the time). (Stable 1.0.150192; Experimental  1.0150408)

So when you switch between them, steam has to download and install a whole bunch of different files. SOMETIMES this is only a few MB, but often it's a couple of hundred MB or even some GB. This usually depends on how many and what things were changed/added.

The DayZ server application is used to host a dedicated server. This has nothing to do with your client application. You can run a stable branch server, and play on an experimental branch server (

But if you host a stable branch server (not sure if you can host an experimental branch server on your own machine) you will have to connect with a stable branch client. Both versions need to match.

check code does only matter if you enter a code to unlock a different branch.

some branches for games (like dayz experimental) are unlocked by default for all game owners, but others need to be unlocked by entering a certain code (like dayz stresstest (currently not relevant)).

i have no idea why you have no controls, so i can't help you with that problem.

but it seems to me, that your original problem was, that you tried to connect to you server with a client running a different version. to be honest, i think it should be common sense, that this should not work.

Sure, the game should give you a different error, but on the other hand, you should have noticed this by yourself.

Edited by HaseDesTodes

HaseDesTodes - I understand everything you said. And everything you said appears to be correct.

I provided the additional information - in case someone was able to catch something I missed.

I've tried setting up DayZ (game) in both Stable and Experimental.

DayZ (server) is running on a local / dedicated server. It's right next to me... or under my desk to be more specific.

To restate... (hoping someone find something):

When DayZ (game) is set to stable... the game loads and starts properly. I just have no keyboard or mouse controls.

When DayZ (game) is set to experimental... the game loads but when I select Play - it produces the "Connecting Failed" error message.

This literally started yesterday. Steam automatically downloaded an update to DayZ (game).

After the update... that's when I started encountered the "Connecting Failed" issue.

I didn't know about the loss of Keyboard / Mouse controls when setting DayZ (game) to Stable. I discovered that - today.

Prior to yesterday... there were no issues. This appears to be an issue / bug with the new DayZ (game) update... as it no longer communicates with DayZ (server) properly.

When checking to what (DayZ) servers are available... my local / dedicated server is visible... pings at 0ms - and selectable.

I'm still curious that BI / DayZ doesn't have a tech support / bug reporting process ?

Edited by No One With That Name