Sign in to follow this  
americanman1243@yahoo.com

Make inventory weight based instead of slot based.

If you haven't noticed, a helicopter main rotor takes up SIX slots. That simulates bulk and weight. M249 box magazine takes up two slots, while a STANAG takes up one. A rifle takes up ten slots because of how ungainly and cumbersome it is. A jerry can of gasoline takes up somewhere between four and six. I forget.

This makes no sense.

If you've spent time playing Fallout or TES, you'll know that sorting/taking items based on weight can give you a headache after serious game-time. It's just inventory sorting, it shouldn't be a headache.

I like the system as it is. I hope it's the one element of this game that remains simple until the end.

I think a better suggestion would be to give the backpack and the pack far more space than they currently have.

If you haven't noticed' date=' a helicopter main rotor takes up SIX slots. That simulates bulk and weight. M249 box magazine takes up two slots, while a STANAG takes up one. A rifle takes up ten slots because of how ungainly and cumbersome it is. A jerry can of gasoline takes up somewhere between four and six. I forget.

[/quote']

You ever carry a box of SAW ammo? Good luck carrying 10 in an alice pack haha. Seriously though a box of SAW ammo has 200 5.56 rounds in it, an M-16 mag has 30. Yet the SAW only takes up 1 extra slot?

I personally think they should increase the amount of space in bags, but tweak the slots things take. Regular mags are 1 slot. Arrow bolt is 5 to a slot. SAW ammo is 5 slots. The rotor head and engine block should take up zero slots, but you would have to carry it with both arms, while your primary is slung and secondary holstered.

I think in a stand alone game making weight count against you the more you carry would be cool, but not really need for this game.

I agree in regards to carrying large objects - engines, rotors etc you should have to hold them and not be able to put them in your backpack.

As for wheels, who would carry a wheel? Just roll it downhill onto oncoming Zeds

I always did wonder about the rotor assembly. I'm no aircraft mechani, but methinks that weighs over seventy five pounds.

Anyway, the fact that they DID incorporate this into the game is probably enough for me. Tweaks would probably just be a bit nitpicky, as Devildog said.

And yeah, I think it would be easier to carry one hundred chemlights than ten M240 mags any day. I've got gun collector friends, and he gave me two M240 ammo cans at once. That was enough to make me feel sorry for ground pounders any day...

Slot-based inventory makes more sense than weight-based. An item can weigh next to nothing, but still be cumbersome to carry. Meanwhile a heavier item could be fairly easy to lift and carry if it's easy to get a grip on.

Main issue is how tio balance this an empty AK47 is say is 3 kg or 4kg loaded, so it would be easy to farm and carry 4 ak47s at 12kg or 1 ak and 9 ak mags, but actually carrying 4 aks is pretty clumsy to do

Right now I feel the current inventory system makes sense. I do however think that the Czech Backpack could use a few more slots as it's about as big as an ALICE pack.

I think you should be able to put the Czech vest pouch on your belt, and it adds the additional 6 slots to your backpack or your normal inventory slots. Right now, the vest pouch is useless.

Though for me, the rotor assembly doesn't take enough slots. You can grab it in a patrol pack, and I doubt it's like the tardis, bigger inside then outside.

Slot-based inventory makes more sense than weight-based. An item can weigh next to nothing' date=' but still be cumbersome to carry. Meanwhile a heavier item could be fairly easy to lift and carry if it's easy to get a grip on.

[/quote']

Exactly. It just depends on how many pockets you have.

As for the 2 handed carrying thing you guys are talking about, it's just dumb, sorry. Even if you implemented vehicles to carry the Rotary Engine, you'd still have to carry a car engine....

Long range carrying would be mind-numbing. It might even need a few players. That can single out individuals and stop them from earning a vehicle which is not nice.

Maybe engine and fueltank parts could be carried instead of a backpack... Only problem is with people accidentally picking up an engine, dropping their pack and having the pack disappear since dropping items is so unreliable.

Weight would be a cool addition if it was addable.

Items bulkiness isnt really an issue to my backpack, neither is handleability, as my backpack doesnt have to hold it at the sharp corners, well it does, but its bedass enough no to care.

Rotor-assembly in backpack is stupid. Also I would be quite intrigued if I saw someone run around with a motor-assembly. There is a car where hes running.

I would personally like the ability to be able to pick up webbing/chest rigs along with backpacks. That way, you can use your webbing for your pistol, ammo, grenades, knife etc and just keep your backpack for your food and drink and tents etc.

Obviously webbing would be a very rare drop (possibly from British helicopter crash sites?)

Also I would be quite intrigued if I saw someone run around with a motor-assembly. There is a car where hes running.

Would you shoot him and take his car?

Inventory needs streamlining, but it's okay at the moment. We need an additional section, called "temporary storage". When your pack and your gear is full and you need something from your pack, it's too easy to lose items. Also if you carry 2 weapons like me, you have to do it a certain way to ensure you don't drop the weapon. There needs to be prompts if something will get dropped/deleted warning you.

Temporary storage above the others would solve a lot of problems, and you can only use it if you're still. You put things up there whilst you reorganise your pack/gear.

Also I would be quite intrigued if I saw someone run around with a motor-assembly. There is a car where hes running.

Would you shoot him and take his car?

I would shoot him in anycase, but otherwise I wouldnt be intrigued :D

but I would follow him in any case. If there was a possibility to peacefully get the drop on him, whilst he has no weapon in hand Id try that maybe, but the chances of him surviving...

Comming for ArmA3, maybe it will reach ArmA2 in a patch at some point, but I don't expect it.