Sign in to follow this  
exacomvm

DayZ's PBR Engine?

Hello, i am not really an modder but LookDev and 3D Modeling artist.
I was wondering how the DayZ's texture/pbr system works when using PBR materials thats made in Mari or Substance for example. I suppose it's something like in Source Engine where u need to link ur maps in text file and give certain parameters.
Also is there any workflow which is best compatible with DayZ ( e.g. what the actual developers use for making these materials? which software and its workflow? ). Also what about the preview, is there something like Object viewer where u can do quick changes and get fast feedback or u need to import it ingame and then see it everytime?

In future probs i would like to try to make few mods, maybe buildings, vehicles or weapons and i want them to look dope like from AAA game ( not just some random model with texture painted using GIMP ).

Edited by exacomvm

Bwahaha, PBR. 

Nope! This isn't The Jetsons.

Not too knowledgeable on this but you can look up on BIS Wiki and read descriptions of maps for ARMA as it's basically the same. For simple items just needs diffuse, normal, and the smdi map which is their form of specular, there are some others but those three you want. I used PBR metal/rough and converted it because DayZ can't tell me what to do and stuff looked... not great? But alright by these standards.

16 hours ago, exacomvm said:

I suppose it's something like in Source Engine where u need to link ur maps in text file and give certain parameters.

.rvmat. That's your material file.

Also what about the preview, is there something like Object viewer where u can do quick changes and get fast feedback or u need to import it ingame and then see it everytime?

Called "Buldozer", you can use A2, A3 or DayZ with buldozer parameters also.

In future probs i would like to try to make few mods, maybe buildings, vehicles or weapons and i want them to look dope like from AAA game ( not just some random model with texture painted using GIMP ).

They might look great but they'll look like they're in DayZ, in the end.

Seen the AK-74 in-game?

Too bad it can't look like this...

vadim-spiridonov-b4.jpg?1453322241

• Beans 1

8 hours ago, -Gews- said:

Too bad it can't look like this...

And that's 2017-2018 Game Engine according to devs. 
Good Job, Bohemia :D 

Edited by exacomvm