robotstar

Persistence crashes are linked to player vicinity - Devs please read.

So part of the issue we've been having with these repeated persistence wipes is that our server, and many other servers, are not reporting a crash. As far as it's concerned everything is fine. We've had 2 persistence wipes on 1.0 and they've both happened selectively. By that I mean that not everything gets wiped. Some of our settlements are fine. Cars are fine and bases are ok... EXCEPT for the ones that had no players in them during the restart/backup (Our server actually just does a backup now every 4 hours, which also restarts the server). We've just had it again and had to roll back agin. One of our settlements despawned everything - cars, tents, basebuilding items. Every other settlement, which had people in them during the restart, survived.

I can't put a bug tracker in for this as there isn't a bug according to the server. So I'm putting it here in the hope that a Dev sees it.

• Beans 3

Also, I can confirm that we are using the 'friendly' restart scripts that were tweeted the other day.

Yep, I've posted it there too, with our steps to reproduce, mods etc.

We think that it's a combination of player vicinity and certain mods which affect the lootpile.

Since 1.0 we were running a pretty stripped back vanilla server, with just a few admin mods installed. Everything's been smooth sailing. Since it was stable we decided to go ahead and place back in a few nice-to-have mods: Dayzplus, Weapons Redux, Sullen Skies and Disable base destruction. Since then, and only when there are no players in the vicinity - persistence selectively wiped. We've stripped those mods back out and rolled the server back to when everything was working. On the next server restart, however, the selective wipe happens. That may be down to some legacy loot, or code that's still in the brain somewhere, but we can't be sure. We're rolling on from now and will rebuild and see if persistency gets any better.

12 minutes ago, robotstar said:

Yep, I've posted it there too, with our steps to reproduce, mods etc.

We think that it's a combination of player vicinity and certain mods which affect the lootpile.

Since 1.0 we were running a pretty stripped back vanilla server, with just a few admin mods installed. Everything's been smooth sailing. Since it was stable we decided to go ahead and place back in a few nice-to-have mods: Dayzplus, Weapons Redux, Sullen Skies and Disable base destruction. Since then, and only when there are no players in the vicinity - persistence selectively wiped. We've stripped those mods back out and rolled the server back to when everything was working. On the next server restart, however, the selective wipe happens. That may be down to some legacy loot, or code that's still in the brain somewhere, but we can't be sure. We're rolling on from now and will rebuild and see if persistency gets any better.

Mods doesn't have anything to do with this. This weekend an official Experimental server crashed and we lost the stuff on the ground around us. So we were in the vicinity and there were no mods whatsoever.

That also may be something not connected with mod and player vicinity crashing. All I can suggest is what we've noticed on our server. Since 1.0 we were solid and stable until we installed some mods back in and players left the vicinity.

Meh, we've just had a restart and lost another 2 settlements now. So guttingly annoying. We're losing players now.