Sign in to follow this  
jonhsmith111

Server hopping?

5 minutes ago, pilgrim* said:

I'm not interested in private servers

What about public official servers operating on a private shard?  What is it about privates servers that turns you off?  Do you prefer server hopping over a more "natural" experience?

In the old days just sometimes, before the USA woke up, when the ping got real low, I played on the Tokyo server (from france) - and that was real interesting.  Mainly I played on an Oman server - my main place (they got a world class internet node there), or Prague, & Romania (university of Bucharest I think?)..  & France (where everybody speaks french) & hung out in Moscow, & the UK obviously (tough buggers)  & early morning USA ..

Community is a good thing.

I live out of one barrel. I don't collect gear. I never ghosted out of a combat in my life. Last time I put up a tent was probably in the mod. I've met people all over the world. Talked to them, (found out that Romanian is a beautiful language), discussed with them, shared, agreed, argued and fought (had a long conversation with a Japanese lady who thought I was rich because I live in the country; she was playing from a 5th floor office in Osaka). Squads, I don't like. When I die I start again. My freedom, my planet, my game.

Why do you want me to live in a compound isolated from the rest of DayZ ?

18 hours ago, pilgrim* said:

Why do you want me to live in a compound isolated from the rest of DayZ

Well, short answer, I don't.

It is possible to play on numerous private servers concurrently, with a character for each.  It's been a while since I checked, but last I knew, community public servers are largely populated by people with a very predictable (boring) playstyle:  Spawn on low pop, gear up without resistance, hop to high-pop, kill until you die, Repeat.
Some of these folks even like to do silly things like keep one player in the AO on a low pop to hop in to your server at just the wrong time so they can "pwn Nuubz" like a pro.
Most players will roll in big groups, all telepathically communicating outside the game from the safety of their TS or Discord server. These players will almost never talk to you, unless it is to stall so their friends can witness the killing.
The ONLY interaction these players are interested in are shooting, teabagging, and perhaps some good old fashioned slurs through in--game VoIP if they catch you alive.

So my question is why do you prefer to play on servers that are so geared towards abuse?  Why do you prefer to know with 95%+ certainty, the outcome of any interactions you will have in game.

I played low pop official servers until I was familiar with the game.  I played hi pop public servers until I was utterly bored with the lack of variety, which took less than 100 hours; it was like going to the driving range every day, but never playing through a course.
I started playing on private servers and noticed the same people from time to time.  Sometimes I would meet someone whose name I recognized from pulse checking a corpse, or vice versa.
All of a sudden there was a community out there with real people with diverse motivations and moods at different times and places.  There was a chance for interaction besides killing whomever is not in your VoIP server at the time.

And there was no ghosting.  If someone wanted to come get you out of a hidey-hole, they either needed to have a grenade, or risk getting blasted as they come inside to root you out.  Believe it or not, many, if not most, have absolutely zero rules.  Some are even ran by absolute shitbags that will give you as terrible an experience as you could wish.

And did I mention no ghosting?  ; )

You never did answer my question about Official public servers on single, insulated shards.  Still free-range, un-moderated, absolutely no rules, wild-west of servers, just without the possibility of someone ghosting or coming in loaded up with loot from another dimension.

10 hours ago, emuthreat said:

..//..

Sorry Emuthreat, but this is like being hassled at the door by a Jehova's Witness
- I told you I'm a Buddhist.

Do you seek enlightenment ?

• Sad 1

False, both of those are pacifists.  Nice try.
Maybe ask some Mormons to help you with the raking out back?

• Beans 1

13 hours ago, emuthreat said:

False, both of those are pacifists.  Nice try.
Maybe ask some Mormons to help you with the raking out back?

ah, that's why you keep knocking on my door with your " perfect illusion of the Final DayZ "
Someone told you Buddhists are "pacifists" ....  
one can make an assertion that Buddhist doctrine is impossible to reconcile logically with an ideology of violence and intolerance
one can also attain  understanding by being hit with a stick

Rinzai

blah blah woof woof

explain to me how many players I have actually murdered on my computer screen :

Following the rules and protecting the regulations is binding oneself without rope.

Moving freely vertically and horizontally without obstruction is the way of outsiders and the nightmare army.

Being on a high plateau practicing samadhi is the stratagem of living in the house of ghosts.

etc etc

this is all standard stuff.. now WHAT are you still babbling about ?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Gateless_Barrier

xxP

Edited by pilgrim*
blame Emuthreat
  • Haha 1