Coldlandlord

New player, loving DAYZ

Hey, so I have been following the progress of DAYZ for years now and I didn't buy it as its was obviously in a bad way for a long time, coupled with the possibility it might never get finished to an acceptable standard.

Last week i bought Giants software's Farming sim 19 as I am a huge fan of their previous games. Now I'll tell you what, if you want to see a fully "finished" and supposedly well tested game release that is soo full of bugs and ludicrous, game breaking issues, despite it being basically a cut and paste of the previous game with a bit of polishing, go and pick up a copy of fs19. I swear this makes Dayz alpha, look spot on!

Anyway, i was so angry with FS19 that i bought call of duty black ops 4 and dayz to mess around with while I wait for FS19 to be fixed and made playable, however, that can be years for all I care now. I got bored of COD almost straight away but I am totally hooked on Dayz!

I have not played a game that makes you feel so alive and "in the game" since playing Operation flashpoint, years ago. It plays with your emotions, it makes your hair stand on end, it makes you really think about the strategy to use. You are constantly on edge and the more you progress, the more great stuff you have on you, the more you have to lose and the more paranoid you become. That is exactly what it should be like as i believe it would be just like that in a real life apocalypses situation. I love the fact that when you die, you die! None of this respawn, find your stuff and get right back to where you were. I love that you have to behave as you would have to in real life. Being very cautious, doing a risk vs reward assessment for every move. As desperation sets in, you have to work out how to sort out your situation but in a way that keeps you as safe as possible. I hate the way games like COD don't install any sense of consequences. Dayz really does make you feel like everything is on the line and if you make the wrong choice, its game over.  

I have to say that having read endless comments over the years, it seems that there are 2 types which are pretty contradictory. There are people wanting more features but they also want the bugs to be fixed."Why can't i milk this cow and why is there a bug with this gun".

This game is trying to provide an environment where everything that is possible in the real world is possible in the game world. This means putting in endless features. 

Unless they have, literally an army of developers, is a pretty unrealistic goal that will never be achieved quickly. Rockstar take 6+ years to get a far less complex game than days out and they do have an army of people.

I think BI should just get this Beta version bug free and out there as an official launch as, from what i can see, having played for a few days now, it is pretty much there! I would be happy with this game if it was officially released tomorrow as it is. Its not perfect but man is it great to play, despite some minor issues which will be fixed.

All the other stuff could come later as DLC's. For example, an animal husbandry DLC where you can bread, raise and profit from rearing animals. The ability to milk cows, kill and eat them, skin them to make leather goods, trade the produce etc. This does not need to be in the game, pre release and if it was built away from the players and released when it was finished, that would avoid the barrage of negative feedback!

If features like this came later, then it will also keep the game fresh and alive for years to come. A prime example of this is giants fs games. The modding community have kept these game alive for almost 10 years now. Without them it would have died a death. Its always exciting to get a new mod or DLC which enhances the game and it reignites the players enthusiasm for the game.

• Beans 5

34 minutes ago, Coldlandlord said:

I have not played a game that makes you feel so alive and "in the game" since..

that's it - you HIT it, Cold ... you may be in a minority, but who CARES,  and you will know each other when you meet.. if you have BEEN THERE you know it.. and strangely they are all INDIVIDUAL people of different ages and lives, different aims, different ways of playing.. but you can spot them. And BI are an unusual Indy for several reasons - and they ATTRACT 'unusual' players.  Good to hear you got on the wavelength. Live till you die, dude.
Enjoy.

• Beans 1

It was years ago, but I still remember the first time I stumbled across a dead body in the game. It was outside a building on the outskirts of Msta and he was just laying there, with flies buzzing. 

I was terrified that whatever got him was still in the area (probably another human). I sat in the woods for a good 5 mins trying to decide if I should go search the body or not. It was an incredible experience and I was hooked from there out.

• Beans 1