xzDIABLOzx

What a time to be alive

Man oh man what a time to be alive! I find myself often just sitting back playing Dayz and really appreciating where we have come. Like most here I grew up a huge gamer, ever since the dawn of gaming time (which for me, was the mid-90s with titles like Wolfenstein 3D). I really grew up with all of the consoles though and the industry as a whole. I remember visiting the store as a child and hanging around at the magazine rack, slowly but surely video game magazines popped up on the shelf, one after the other, Nintendo Power, Game Pro and more. I remember playing Goldeneye for N64 and thinking wow what could beat this! What started as seemingly “kid stuff” was gaining ground and recognition as a legitimate pastime and for good reason. What started out in its humble 8-bit beginnings became a staple in modern entertainment, in nearly every living room around the world in one form or another.

The last few generations of gaming consoles for me have brought the most amazing changes and innovations to the gaming world – with the introduction of Microsoft as a player in the field, pitting their Xbox up against the likes of Nintendo and Sony, the console wars are alive and well. Graphics are on par with PC Gaming (except the PC Master Race will always be a few steps ahead with their expensive rigs) for the most part, for now hue hue. Gaming isn’t just about graphics anymore, although still important, it’s about Fun. You’d think it was ALWAYS about fun, and it was, but now games have become more than just a pretty face and a favorite character or storyline. It’s now about immersion.

Gaming to me has come very far since its early days, and despite some claims that it has slowed or stagnated, this really is just the beginning. New advances are always just around the corner, and a new chapter of video game history is being written. The coolest part is that people like you and me can join in and make our mark with successful titles and I just feel lucky to be a part of it.

Edited by xzDIABLOzx
  • Like 2
  • Beans 1

Liking dayz a lot so far and it will only get better as time goes on. 4 player split screen goldeneye was some of the most fun I've ever had playing video games lol. More than anything though I miss playing eqoa for ps2 on dial up internet and then socom 2 when I got a better connection. Really unique games I believe 

• Like 2

Well said.

I’m aging myself here as well, started off playing the incredible 16 bit console.

Those of us who’ve been gaming since the early DayZ seem to have a bit more appreciation for games, not to mention patience.

• Like 2

I remember playing doom on my 64 bit jaguar listening to offspring on a radio cassette.  

• Like 2