MissBehave

Help The Yogscast Noobs Thread! - Post Your Tips!

Yogscast just did a

, and if you saw it and are checking out this awesome game that is DayZ there are a few things you should know.

First... You don't start out with all the gear like the chaps in the Yogscast video did. You start on with a flashlight, a bandage and a painkiller. No gun or ammo. No bloodbags. You don't spawn next to your friend.

This game is an awesome experience but can be very hard for fresh, new players. I invite some of our veteran DayZ players to post some of their tips for staying alive in DayZ.

I have written a couple of blog articles on the basics of how to survive as a new player, hopefully you enjoy them!

DayZ: Surviving the Zombie Apocalypse With Only a Flashlight and a Tin Can.

DayZ: Hard Lessons Learned While Surviving a Zombie Apocalypse

Tips to Remember:

• Play through the "Boot Camp" missions in Arma2 before jumping into DayZ. It has tutorials on how all the major game play mechanics work. (Thanks Brenelael and Bami)
  • Play Arma2 for a few days so as to get used to the feel of the game engine, how the inventory works and all the other little quirks and oddities before you jump into DayZ. (Thanks Sleepytime)
  • Read the location name on the bottom right of your screen. It appears whenever you spawn in (every time, even if your character is old), and can give you a clue as to your location. It only lasts a few seconds, so pay attention! (Thanks Kohpka)
  • Once spawned on the coast, head inland. If you hit a road before hitting a railroad, you are most likely on the east coast. The railroad before a road you are most likely on the south coast. You can also use the sun/stars as an indicator once you figure out which coast you are on to maintain your bearings. (Thanks Redz)
  • Some players will shoot first and ask questions later. However not everyone is bad, you can try and communicate with direct chat. (Thanks Powell)
  • Players are the major threat in DayZ, not the zombies. (Thanks Cartz)
  • Don't shoot your friend in the head, unless you really have to. (Thanks Dallas!) :D
  • Caps Lock uses voice communication. Go to Direct Channel using ',' and try direct chat if you want to see if someone is Friendly.
  • Zombies will eff you up, be cautious around them. This is not a typical shooter.
  • Morphine! Broken Legs are No Joke! Mainly found at hospitals. (Thanks Targeter_NL!)
  • Collect all the ammo you find to make sure when you do find a gun you have some ammo for it. (Thanks Sunzz)
  • Don't get attached to gear, you wont be able to keep it for ever. (Thanks StealthyBraden!)
  • Don't run around like headless chickens! (Thanks Lukio!)
  • Stay off of rocks, and never ever go prone and crawl over a door frame or ledge. Bad things happen to your legs! Doors can knock you out - be careful opening and closing them (Thanks Adron)
  • You will die. You will die 5, 10, 20 times before you survive longer than 30 minutes. Deal with it, and push on. When you survive it will be worth it. (Thanks Werty)
  • In general the nights are pitch black in Chernarus, as in won't see your own shoelaces. (Thanks Roberts512)
  • Don't run across fields, try to move in the treeline to avoid being detected. Deer stands can usually be found in the treeline next to a field, there are just a few zombies around the stands and they have a decent chance of spawning a firearm, survival tools or ammo. (Thanks Uuni)
  • Meat and Matches are extremely helpful as Cooked Meat replenishes health. (Thanks Mays!)
  • Don't eat or drink until the indicators are flashing! Supplies can be hard to find when you are just starting out and this will maximize their benefits. (Thanks Brenelael)
  • Stealth is your absolute best friend. focus on learning how to avoid the infected's attention. (Thanks P1n34l)
  • The "best" guns aren't necessarily the best guns for your playstyle. Don't rush out and grab a sniper rifle because they're the "best" guns, and then tell us there's nothing to do but PvP. (Thanks Gibbonici)
  • Lots of "charity" in Cherno. People love to "give out free stuff" there. Like bullets and stuff. :P (Thanks KWilt)
  • You can use the Forum search function and check out the stickies before posting a new thread with any issues or qualms you may have. (Thanks Nightpaws)

How to Install DayZ Tips!

This is a bad thing.. all 11 year old kids running around? Please no.

That small percentage of their viewers only like Minecraft stuff. That is why they have so many dislikes on that video because MC hive thinks Day Z is a big copy cat of it.

The rest of their viewers are fine. With some of the people I have seen complaining the past months here I welcome them.

This is a bad thing.. all 11 year old kids running around? Please no.

More players and games sales are never a bad thing. I am happy to see new players and would like to be helpful to those players who are into trying out DayZ and want to live past their first town.

Morphine.

Added!

Don't help them, let them suffer to learn. LET THEM SUFFER!

PS. Your chubby aintcha Nom Nom :D

Don't shoot your friend in the head, unless you really have to.

Just play DM in cherno and elektro until the update comes out, no point trying to make serious progress until then. It will teach the basics as well as being fun.

If you have no primary or secondary, collect all the ammo you find( or even them out) to make sure when you do find a gun you have some ammo for it. Better to have too much than to have little.

That small percentage of their viewers only like Minecraft stuff. That is why they have so many dislikes on that video because MC hive thinks Day Z is a big copy cat of it.

The reason they're getting dislikes is fact that they're cheating.

hi, thanks for posting this thread. Im a fan of the yogscast, not an 11 year old kid and a previous DayZ player, and while yes there will be soon 11 year old idiots running around, thats what happens with fandom. However, rest assured that due to DayZ's tougher installation and difficult gameplay, many of them won't be able to get on or will be gone in a week. Meanwhile, a lot of us serious yognauts (fans of the yogscast) will stay, it won't ruin your experience, its just introducing new people to the game. I apologise for the 11 year old minecraft fanboys, but wait them out, they'll get bored.

Thanks

Tom

Well armed players are extremely dangerous, they worked hard to find their gear and will not risk losing it by helping new players.

Scratch that:

Players are the major threat in DayZ, not the zombies.

Excuse some copy and paste from my posts today, but I believe they apply in this thread.

Forum members griping about new players, here's something some might not know... Older members of the forum felt the same way when IGN, Roosterteeth, and other news organizations started publishing articles that catered to the console/COD/FPS crowd.

Other than an increase of bitchery from new players who "don't like being killed", or who think "this is too hard", not much else has changed here, or on the servers. It will take some time for them to catch up to speed, but once they get there they will either fizzle out, or be madly addicted to DayZ.

Here's a tip I give to all newcomers:

1. Once spawned on the coast, head inland.

2.If you hit

A) A road before hitting a railroad, you are most likely on the east coast

or

B) the railroad before a road you are most likely on the south coast.

3. You can also use the sun/stars as an indicator once you figure out which coast you are on to maintain your bearings.

Getting off the coast and heading inland is considered safer, but the coast is a good place for you to learn the basics of survival, its harder there at first, but you learn the most important lesson. Don't get attached to your stuff, you will die eventually.

(Edit-- Holy Run-on sentence Batman!)

Best advice i could give them is play Arma2 for a few days so as to get used to the feel of the game engine, how the inventory works and all the other little quirks and oddities before you jump into DayZ.

Stay off of rocks, and never ever go prone and crawl over a door frame or ledge. Bad things happen to your legs!

Also -

Doors can knock you out - be careful opening and closing them

Best Advice.

You will die. You will die 5, 10, 20 times before you survive longer than 30 minuets. Deal with it, and push on. When you survive it will be worth it.

I don't like that first "lesson"...

not everyone is bad, I will never shoot a player on sight.

I will either 1. Hide, or 2. Call out to them

I feel like that one guy who's friendly will appreciate my kindness

I refuse to help the yog-tards.

Simply because which ever one of the duo said

"I only know of Arma 2 because of the steam sales because of this stupid mod"

They dug their own graves.

Everyone new to Arma 2 should play through the "Boot Camp" missions at least once before jumping into DayZ. This will give you a tutorial on how all the major game play mechanics work. I highly recommend it.

Here's a tip:

Lots of charity in Cherno. People love to give out free stuff there. Like bullets and stuff.

Start Arma2 or Operation Arrowhead without DayZ and follow the bootcamp. It will learn you how to shoot guns, how the movement system works and how to use the scroll wheel menu.

Lots of Arma2 actions carry over to DayZ, and it will help you immensely starting out how to do stuff instead of standing still on a beach getting sniped.