TheYetiBum

Sound levels / Footsteps

Hey,

Anyone else feel like the sound mix is very off at the moment? I understand that reloading, eating, drinking needs to be loud in an attempt to increase player awareness & interaction but then why is reloading a gun or eating five times louder than footsteps? Even when I'm fully geared with next to no stamina meter I can sprint right next to another player with pretty much no sound indication at all. Yet I can eat a tin of beans four houses away and be heard. Obviously the games preview and will be tweaked along the way but that seems like a pretty easy balancing pass right there. Pretty sure the system is in place to increase movement volume based on weight and footwear etc so maybe at somepoint it'll be addressed. Also the server menu wind sound is beyond deafening, it's 100% above a safe volume for damaging ears if someone has earphones on full blast. I'm intrigued by other peoples opinions

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

Right, 1st things first. I agree, Sack the clown who put a fucking tornado in the title menu! Lol 

Secondly, yes, footsteps are wayyy too quiet. No need to go into detail as you already have but yes, make them a little louder as their aint no way someone is tip-toeing up to me wearing 60-70 pounds of kit but you can hear them eat beans 3 blocks away lol 

It could do with some tweaking for sure lol

• Like 1

Some people dont agree but I think there should be a sound setting slider for all aspects.

I.e you yourself can choose what you prioritize. Say you want to prioritize footsteps, gunshots and reloading, you can keep those at full and knock doors, eating, Drinking, bandaging, reloading, etc down. 

Idk, it's something i would like because I'd find the happy balance of where I like my settings. Currently on my headset I gotta crank it up if I want to hear anyone but my own footsteps. But forget about firing a gun, let alone your squad shooting behind you. Ffs itll deafen you if they do that. I was listening to a guys footsteps to my headset was up, and I heard him move ever slightly, unfortunately my teammate behind me with an SVD took a shot at him, and I nearly $%^& myself it was so loud. Honest to God it hurt my ears it was so loud, and the SVD is already loud enough to hear 3 towns over.

I do agree sound needs to get fixed, maybe not on the level I want, but some heavy duty priority sound options would be nice so I can hear footsteps without going deaf at the first gunshot

Edited by Bombarding
  • Beans 1

9 minutes ago, Bombarding said:

Some people dont agree but I think there should be a sound setting slider for all aspects.

I.e you yourself can choose what you prioritize. Say you want to prioritize footsteps, gunshots and reloading, you can keep those at full and knock doors, eating, Drinking, bandaging, reloading, etc down. 

Idk, it's something i would like because I'd find the happy balance of where I like my settings. Currently on my headset I gotta crank it up if I want to hear anyone but my own footsteps. But forget about firing a gun, let alone your squad shooting behind you. Ffs itll deafen you if they do that. I was listening to a guys footsteps to my headset was up, and I heard him move ever slightly, unfortunately my teammate behind me with an SVD took a shot at him, and I nearly $%^& myself it was so loud. Honest to God it hurt my ears it was so loud, and the SVD is already loud enough to hear 3 towns over.

I do agree sound needs to get fixed, maybe not on the level I want, but some heavy duty priority sound options would be nice so I can hear footsteps without going deaf at the first gunshot

The sliders is a top shout. 100%. 

Footsteps inside are relatively loud ish tbf, Idk exactly what it is but its just directional sound doesnt seem to work aswell in my headset on this compared to other games.

You nailed it really, When having sound loud enough to effectively hear footsteps then shots etc are crazy loud. 

Theres no balance between all sounds to merge well together at the right level. 

Then the DC happens and its like someones got a motor to your head lol 

The sliders though, top shout. Would be a nice implementation. 

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Powell x91 said:

Footsteps inside are relatively loud ish tbf, Idk exactly what it is but its just directional sound doesnt seem to work aswell in my headset on this compared to other games.

This is one of my biggest complaints.. directional sound.  I heard an elk - tried to find it by listening and couldn't.  Seemed to change direction more then just movement of it would cause.

1 hour ago, Xbsim86ch said:

If you remove boots or snickers shoes of your caracters the footsteps are not loud !!!

They arent loud anyway....

Unless you turn your mic up, forget about the volume, then some fired a gun. Then you'll go deaf and not hear footstep anyway lol

• Like 1

This is getting abit crazy now, I've literally sprinted up on dozens off people and they didn't even turn and look at . If I didn't speak/shoot they'd have had literally no idea I was there. I use a decent headset and even I can only hear people sprinting up on me a few feet away max. I understand they almost want to encourage PvP for testing purposes ATM but tbh it feels pretty gross and basic when there's no nuance, you can just sprint about with max stamina build character owning squads by repositioning and charging people whilst there completely unaware your stood ontop of them.