crazy mike

DayZ Vortorsk - Dual Island Soviet State

DayZ Vortorsk

By Crazy Mike & Hololand3

18009465abc0ed522aa66ee8aa07f84c.jpg

Backstory

The island is located in the Sea of Okhotsk, and slowly has been forgotten about after so many years since the fall of the Soviet Union, after losing the support of the USSR the micro-nation Vortorsk fell into disarray, it began slowly bleeding its population. 6 months later in June 1992, an event occurred crippling the nation and killing off a majority of the remaining population. Many attempted to flee the island by boat or plane, but most civilians were forced to stay on the island, eventually succumbing to conditions on the island. The major cities on the island have since fallen into decay and have begun to fall apart, nature is slowly taking back the cities but due to the harsh climate, it has been a slow process. Many civilians had fled to military installations to no avail or to underground sanctuaries, making for good hiding spots and terrible dead ends. The military of Vortorsk was not prepared for the events of 1992 and fell apart within months, leaving scattered supplies across the island from lost patrols, deserters, and worse. With the current state of the island, not much is stopping anybody from getting to the island, but it has been all but erased from maps and made difficult to find, be warned however as only rumors circulate as to what really happened, seeing it firsthand may give you a clear picture of what happened, but it may also give you a very clear fate. Paramilitary forces have also been said to operate off the island as it is essentially lawless and there are almost no living inhabitants on the island, or atleast, normal inhabitants. 

Technical Parameters

• Heightmap Resolution: 4096
  • Cell Size: 5m/px
  • Size: 20480x20480 or 419km2
  • Season: Mid Fall
  • Layout: 2 Major Islands, 2 Minor Islands, 4 Satellite Islands
  • Setting: Post Apocalyptic Soviet State
  • Current Object Count: 2839042 

im still writing it come back later ree

Edited by crazy mike
  • Like 1
  • Beans 6

one reserve post for imagery, map is packed ingame and looks good, just have to find some time to take nice pictures

Edited by crazy mike

Looks great, can't wait to try it, how long have you been working on it?

11 hours ago, smasht said:

Looks great, can't wait to try it, how long have you been working on it?

heightmap is ancient i painted it by hand awhile back, ran it through world creator and created the sat and mask using that, and spent maybe a week in terrain builder, all the nature related objects are done, atleast until we start doing infastructure and changing alot of it

I can't wait to see what you guys put out. Was this not a project for Arma 3 at one point for you guys? I take that back I just looked it up and remember watching development during a stream. I think you guys pushed a incomplete version of it. I feel like I remember a funny part in a stream where one of you said something about updating the clouds, and the other person in the discord call said he did not like them, it was funny. Idk, maybe it was a different map. Any discord I can join to see progress? Good luck though guys! 

On 9/9/2018 at 10:25 PM, SoloFlow said:

I can't wait to see what you guys put out. Was this not a project for Arma 3 at one point for you guys? I take that back I just looked it up and remember watching development during a stream. I think you guys pushed a incomplete version of it. I feel like I remember a funny part in a stream where one of you said something about updating the clouds, and the other person in the discord call said he did not like them, it was funny. Idk, maybe it was a different map. Any discord I can join to see progress? Good luck though guys! 

yea vortorsk in arma 3 was my first attempt at terrain making, and i scrapped it because it was dogshit, i took the old heightmap, upgraded it from 2k to 4k, increased details on the terrain, redesigned the northern island and tweaked the south island, rebuilt the satellite and mask texture from scratch

So is there any way to access the Map Editor or some kind of tooling for DayZ SA modding .63 or how did you create this? I'd really like to try myself on map creation and editing, as I have some experience in other games and enjoy the process big time.

2 hours ago, xitus said:

So is there any way to access the Map Editor or some kind of tooling for DayZ SA modding .63 or how did you create this? I'd really like to try myself on map creation and editing, as I have some experience in other games and enjoy the process big time.

this was made using terrain builder from arma 3 tools, dayz will also re-release terrain builder in its tools on steam tools section aswell

On 9/20/2018 at 6:07 AM, crazy mike said:

this was made using terrain builder from arma 3 tools, dayz will also re-release terrain builder in its tools on steam tools section aswell

Do we have any more info on if the Dayz map editor will be similar to the A3 tools? I know one of the august status reports mentioned something about this but havent seen anything since.

Thats a big map by the way! 

this is terrain builder, the mapmaker is using assets from dayz as u can see.

Very nice, familiar to a terrain I am working on. This is an example of an ambitious East-European terrain. Keep us posted!!