Sign in to follow this  
DogeMillionare

A survivalist's take on eating and drinking

Having played for a few days, here are some notes on food and drink realism.

It takes ~2 weeks to starve to death if you are a healthy able bodied person. Not 30 minutes. You can die from thirst in 3-4 days. Sure this all changes based on environment, activity level, etc etc, but not fucking 30 minutes.

You guys need to fix this mechanic, it sucks, is completely unrealistic, and has completely turned me off the game. I want to run around looking for loot and fun shit, not having to worry about killing a chicken, or searching for cans of food. Hell, you can peel pine bark and boil it if you're really starving. It's practically impossible to starve unless you are completely incompetent, or in a desert environment (and even then it's pretty hard)

Water on the other hand is also pretty bad. If I am carrying around a 90L pack, with 3 long guns, two hatchets, an axe and a pistol, plus whatever else I find... that's a heavy damn bag. I would be going so slow, and I would be drinking water all the time. This game seems to be pretty forgiving with water sources. I've heard you can get sick, but I have been drinking out of lots of bad water, and have yet to have it effect me (probably because I can't play long enough) Again, I can tell you from experience, you are taking a real risk drinking wild water at below 9-10k ft above sea level. If you do drink some nasty shit, you can feel it pretty fast, and can be deathly ill in a few hours.

Building a fire is a real chore too. Again, anyone who's spent some time in the woods, especially in this climate that we are supposed to be playing in, should know its damn easy to scrape some shit together off the ground and start it on fire. Searching for sticks, bark, and crafting a firestarter is the "textbook" way of doing things, but isn't it like the 90s-00s in this game? Did the soviet's not have lighters? I get that you can't put a "scrape the ground and light a fire" button, but damn, its way easier to start a fire than you make it.

Just some thoughts, I'm def putting this game down for a few days. Two friends at work asked me if they should buy it so we could all play and I laughed and told them to wait.

You guys are losing business.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, DogeMillionare said:

It takes ~2 weeks to starve to death if you are a healthy able bodied person. Not 30 minutes. You can die from thirst in 3-4 days. Sure this all changes based on environment, activity level, etc etc, but not fucking 30 minutes.

You guys need to fix this mechanic, it sucks, is completely unrealistic, and has completely turned me off the game. I want to run around looking for loot and fun shit, not having to worry about killing a chicken, or searching for cans of food. Hell, you can peel pine bark and boil it if you're really starving. It's practically impossible to starve unless you are completely incompetent, or in a desert environment (and even then it's pretty hard)

Water on the other hand is also pretty bad. If I am carrying around a 90L pack, with 3 long guns, two hatchets, an axe and a pistol, plus whatever else I find... that's a heavy damn bag. I would be going so slow, and I would be drinking water all the time. This game seems to be pretty forgiving with water sources. I've heard you can get sick, but I have been drinking out of lots of bad water, and have yet to have it effect me (probably because I can't play long enough) Again, I can tell you from experience, you are taking a real risk drinking wild water at below 9-10k ft above sea level. If you do drink some nasty shit, you can feel it pretty fast, and can be deathly ill in a few hours.

Building a fire is a real chore too. Again, anyone who's spent some time in the woods, especially in this climate that we are supposed to be playing in, should know its damn easy to scrape some shit together off the ground and start it on fire. Searching for sticks, bark, and crafting a firestarter is the "textbook" way of doing things, but isn't it like the 90s-00s in this game? Did the soviet's not have lighters? I get that you can't put a "scrape the ground and light a fire" button, but damn, its way easier to start a fire than you make it.

Just some thoughts, I'm def putting this game down for a few days. Two friends at work asked me if they should buy it so we could all play and I laughed and told them to wait.

Lmao, you're taking this at the same level that your take a survival experience in real life, no wonder you wouldnt have fun with it

• Like 2

52 minutes ago, DogeMillionare said:

100% agree.

Been out camping a lot in my days and i sure as hell wasen't in need of water every 15 minutes.

I have 2 friends who bought this (both of them love hardcore games) but they refuse to "play" this game since they have to drink all the time.

I'm stuck here "playing" it myself.. Will not recomend this to anyone base alone on the eating/drinking simulator.

You start thirsty and on the edge of hungry.

People start losing their capacity to do normal things in just a couple days when not properly fueled or hydrated.

Do you do any cardio exercise or have experience with endurance training?

Personally, if I really start to get hungry even for a few hours I lose much of my capacity to perform well mentally and physically.

I have "bonked" a couple of times during long distance bike rides because I did not eat enough.

You can go from all cylinders firing to severely weakened much quicker than you think.

Also, some of what you've posted are work in progress/placeholder versions of those mechanics.

3 hours ago, Sterlyng Shane-kyler Roehrig said:

Lmao, you're taking this at the same level that your take a survival experience in real life, no wonder you wouldnt have fun with it

That's the whole point of this game. Sure, I can see it being a few hours or so to make the mechanic relevant to the game, im not going to play for two weeks and forget to eat in game, thats stupid. What's really fucking stupid is that I need water every 15 minutes, and I can run up a whole mountain with a fully loaded pack and not suffer any consequences other then low stamina and a SUPER annoying breathing sound.

Also your chances of washing up on a foreign shore, spotting a mushroom. Saying to yourself, "Wow, this looks so PRISTINE and RAW!" And proceeding to eat the mushroom with zero consequences is pretty much impossible. If you're going to put mushrooms in as a wild food source, put 10 deadly ones in for every 1 edible one.

Please don't eat wild mushrooms kids.

People seem to misunderstand how the food and drink works
You literally never have to worry about water if you find a pump or even a lake as infection is not working right now, you pretty much just have to spam it until your value reaches full (5000) as it starts very low when you spawn in. Then you don't need to worry about water pretty much ever lol

For food you just smash everything you find down as your stomach holds loads
It's really not that difficult 

23 hours ago, DogeMillionare said:

That's the whole point of this game. Sure, I can see it being a few hours or so to make the mechanic relevant to the game, im not going to play for two weeks and forget to eat in game, thats stupid. What's really fucking stupid is that I need water every 15 minutes, and I can run up a whole mountain with a fully loaded pack and not suffer any consequences other then low stamina and a SUPER annoying breathing sound.

Dude, this is the 0.63 build there is going to be alot more harsh consequences for shut in this game, the PC has viral illnesses, broken legs you have to splint, passing out from overuse of stamina etc, you're going into a game preview that isnt up to par with the PC expecting qay too much 

All I can say is....THANK GOD THAT THIS STUPID 24 HOUR CYCLE IS NEVER GOING TO BE IMPLEMENTED!

Edited by Powell x91
Spelling typo

On 9/2/2018 at 12:46 AM, Ordomalleus said:

you pretty much just have to spam it until your value reaches full (5000)

Where do you find the values for the stats? It seems to be all guess work for me

Sign in to follow this