Sign in to follow this  
BradEFC

Inventory system, looting potential improvements/ideas

Thread dedicated to improvements and feedback in the overall inventory system and looting, to get a better understanding of how it works and also to hopefully improve on it.

Issue highlights:

• Numbers next to items (a bottle of water says 8 for example) (KNOWN ISSUE)-  what does this mean? because in relation to the backpack itself, I would assume a bottle with 8 storage, would take up 8 out of 110 for an Alice Backpack, but that doesn't seem to be the case

• Numbers next to backpacks, clothing etc (KNOWN ISSUE) - (Alice pack says 110, but I can only store around 50 odd worth of items inside)

• I can't personally select what goes into the small protector case - It seems once my inventory is *full* (even though it still says I've got another 50+ worth of items to store inside my backpack) it will just automatically be added to the protector case, Can't seem to find how to manually add what I want to the case.

• Looting dead players - was looting a player I killed at NWAF yesterday, when pressing the back button on the controller, the game froze for approx 4 seconds, as if it was asking too much of the console (Xbox one X 4K). Then when trying to loot their items, it was an absolute pain, I couldn’t scroll down the inventory list using the RT button on the controller, I had to scroll up using LT to flip to the bottom of their list, then sometimes it wouldn’t work at all. Very messy, unnecessarily complicated and could be improved massively using the feedback noted below.

Additional ideas to improve the inventory system:

Grid system for inventory - So we can see what we are doing in relation to storing items in inventory, while having the ability to move items around, put them in order and essentially get the most out of the space the backpacks etc have to offer us.

Drag and drop feature for items - Possibly hold A on the item in your inventory, then use the D pad to move it around. Also you could hold LB, then use the D pad to spin the item in 90 degree increments.

Two options for items on floor - The ability to press X to equip item on floor to hands, then possibly another option to press Y while the items on the floor to put it straight into your inventory. Removing the need to go into your inventory to then move to hands, useful for food and drinks etc.

Looting a dead players inventory  - The ability to press A, on a stanag magazine for example which they have in their inventory, when you press A, the item moves over to your inventory, while having the ability to move it around with the D Pad using the grid system mentioned in this post. While all this is happening, you can simply press B to cancel the operation and the stanag magazine will return to the dead players inventory  slot.

Edited by BradEFC
Additional info

2 minutes ago, bradley.warnick@btinternet.com said:

Has anyone got an explanation of how the inventory system works? Few of the issues I'm not understanding are:

• Numbers next to items (a bottle of water says 8 for example) -  what does this mean? because in relation to the backpack itself, I would assume a bottle with 8 storage, would take up 8 out of 110 for an Alice Backpack, but that doesn't seem to be the case

• Numbers next to backpacks, clothing etc - (Alice pack says 110, but I can only store around 50 odd worth of items inside)

• I can't personally select what goes into the small protector case - It seems once my inventory is *full* (even though it still says I've got another 50+ worth of items to store inside my backpack) it will just automatically be added to the protector case, Can't seem to find how to manually add what I want to the case.

Are there meant to be grids in the inventory and you should be able to move the items around to make them fit, struggling to find a reason behind it, it doesn't really make any sense.

Someone must know, I'm sure I am not the only one who is confused with this?

Hi @bradley.warnick@btinternet.com

I understand your confusion with the slot count it is a bit off. It seems to me they are using the exact same concept as PC still which you wouldn't know unless you have played PC.

For the water bottle on Xbox it says 8.. On PC it is 2x4(8). If you imagine every piece of clothing and backpacks etc has a grid system it will make a bit more sense.

I think it i just something they need to work on and figure out a way to make it for console.

Hope fully this clears thing up a little :)

AJ

1 minute ago, II AJEARLEY II said:

Hi @bradley.warnick@btinternet.com

I understand your confusion with the slot count it is a bit off. It seems to me they are using the exact same concept as PC still which you wouldn't know unless you have played PC.

For the water bottle on Xbox it says 8.. On PC it is 2x4(8). If you imagine every piece of clothing and backpacks etc has a grid system it will make a bit more sense.

I think it i just something they need to work on and figure out a way to make it for console.

Hope fully this clears thing up a little :)

AJ

This is what I thought it would be, a grid method, but as you know, the problem is we can't see the grids XD . So its pretty hard to organise your inventory to get the most storage possible, I think they should add a drag and drop method and also add the grids so we can see what we are dealing with in relation to item storage.

• Like 1

Just now, BradEFC said:

This is what I thought it would be, a grid method, but as you know, the problem is we can't see the grids XD . So its pretty hard to organise your inventory to get the most storage possible, I think they should add a drag and drop method and also add the grids so we can see what we are dealing with in relation to item storage.

Yeah this really would be nice it is especially confusing for the new players on Xbox.

So, talking inventory.

I can agree on the grid or at least removing the #x# concept for the time being..

but the dragging option could be a great idea if the grid concept was already in effect. Good ideas.. Grid concept should be a hardcore option on consoles to increase that difficulty of gameplay.

either way I am here to suggest another key option when looking at an item on the ground. (Inventory {y}) or (to hands {x}) and final but not least a key option to drop something out of your hands to ground without going into inventory.. (Possibly B) 

Please bring back the drag and drop Tetris inventory, it’s a bit more realistic when you can choose which pockets/storage hold what, although maybe it has something to do with stamina? I can only jog and and cannot jump anymore even though my backpack is only 1/2 full, but I am carrying 2 rifles and an axe. 

5 hours ago, Btobias18 said:

So, talking inventory.

I can agree on the grid or at least removing the #x# concept for the time being..

but the dragging option could be a great idea if the grid concept was already in effect. Good ideas.. Grid concept should be a hardcore option on consoles to increase that difficulty of gameplay.

either way I am here to suggest another key option when looking at an item on the ground. (Inventory {y}) or (to hands {x}) and final but not least a key option to drop something out of your hands to ground without going into inventory.. (Possibly B) 

Ive added your idea to the post, try and compile a few good ideas to improve the inventory system as a whole.

1 hour ago, BradEFC said:

Ive added your idea to the post, try and compile a few good ideas to improve the inventory system as a whole.

Thank you, I did look for a couple good minutes trying to find a form for it.

Inventory and crafting

Inventory: Bags cannot be filled up to their max capacity

In the known issues pinned thread

17 minutes ago, Bombarding said:

Inventory and crafting

Inventory: Bags cannot be filled up to their max capacity

In the known issues pinned thread

This thread was created before the known issues thread. It also highlights on more issues, not just the capacity of backpacks and other items. Have now edited the thread to indicate known issues.

Edited by BradEFC

The way I've heard it explained is the bag has a weight limit, say 110 of the Alice and a slot limit that we don't know about. Thats where the teddy bear, cooking pot, protector case come in handy being able to store extra items. I agree, we need a much better system then it is currently. I don't mind having to hide somewhere to organize as long as it does what I want and isn't clunky. To many times do I sit there dropping stuff, moving items in and out of cases, playing to guessing game on what will go where to optimize what I can carry. Looting dead body's is also very slow.

Some other inventory issues i've noticed with the .380 pistol, and one AK so far is when the gun is currently in the bag or on my back unloaded. If I pick up a mag, fully loaded or unloaded, it will automatically go into the gun. When I equip the gun It acts like there isn't a mag in it, won't load a round unless its one by one, and I can't drop the mag from it.

49 minutes ago, SquanchyGamer said:

The way I've heard it explained is the bag has a weight limit, say 110 of the Alice and a slot limit that we don't know about. Thats where the teddy bear, cooking pot, protector case come in handy being able to store extra items. I agree, we need a much better system then it is currently. I don't mind having to hide somewhere to organize as long as it does what I want and isn't clunky. To many times do I sit there dropping stuff, moving items in and out of cases, playing to guessing game on what will go where to optimize what I can carry. Looting dead body's is also very slow.

Some other inventory issues i've noticed with the .380 pistol, and one AK so far is when the gun is currently in the bag or on my back unloaded. If I pick up a mag, fully loaded or unloaded, it will automatically go into the gun. When I equip the gun It acts like there isn't a mag in it, won't load a round unless its one by one, and I can't drop the mag from it.

I personally think if it was optimised properly, which I don’t think would be all too difficult to do, the inventory system would work pretty well. I tried thinking of ideas as mentioned in the thread what wouldn’t feel clunky and would be relatively easy to use.

As for the magazine issue your having, I’ve only had the issue once where an invisible magazine seemed to be stuck inside the gun. After going back to the dashboard on the Xbox, and re loading the game, it seemed to go away. I guess you could just try and keep a loaded magazine in the gun at all times really.

Sign in to follow this