Sign in to follow this  
NachoNinjaGnome

Belts, Bandoliers, Slings, Holsters and Makeshift Conveniences

Now, I know I've seen a post here and there touch upon SOME parts of the things I'm about to suggest but, I believe an all-inclusive post on the subject is justified.  One thing that has always bothered me about DayZ is all the weapons magically floating on everyone's backs.  I love that the Chest Holster and Holster Attachment exist, and I believe it would be great to expand upon that sort of mechanic.  It would be nice to see people forced to carry their weapon, or stick it in a bag, if they found it without an existing sling.  I would like to see a wide variety of belts, slings, straps, bandoliers, holsters, pouches, packs, strings, cords, etc. to facilitate weapon accessibility.  This would require more "clothing" slots but, I think it could prove to add an entirely new element to the game that, while inconvenient at first, would lend greater versatility to our survivors.  We would, naturally, need to be able to craft some makeshift items for these purposes, but that's easy enough.  Here's a few ideas to get the ball rolling.

Hotbar slots could be more realistic - having a holster would give you 1 hotbar slot for a handgun, having a bandolier would give 1 for ammo, etc.

Belts - could have holster, sheath, hanger and pouch attachments

Waist slot(s) - could allow for placing a handgun in one's waistband or a knife between the belt and the pants

Bandoliers - gun belts with holsters and ammo loops... cross-chest bandoliers

Weapon slings with ammo loops

Buttstock ammo loops and pouches

Duffle Bags and Fanny Packs

Shopping Carts, Wheelbarrows, Food Carts, Kid Wagons

Pack Animals and Mounts with Saddlebags

Saddlebags slung over shoulder

Shoulder slots (instead of 1 melee slot and 1 long gun slot) for 2 long guns, 2 melee, one of each, one and a duffle or saddlebags

Lefty, Righty, Small of Back, Drop-Leg and Ankle Holsters

1-point, 2-point and 3-point Long Gun Slings

Shoestrings - very useful for tying a knife sheath or belt holster to your leg... or even making a rudimentary sling

Cloth strips - not just absorbent rags or burlap for ghillies, but maybe a cut up TSKO or M85 Jacket for makeshift slings, belts and straps

Wire, string, cord, etc. - more than just rope (and the aforementioned shoestrings)

Plant Fiber cordage - just spawned?... take your improvised knife and get to making a primitive sling for your crafted spear

...anyway, like I said, just a few ideas to get the ball rolling...  what do you guys think?

• Like 1
  • Beans 2

Also... quivers...

I want to be able to spawn in, make a knife, braid some plant fiber and turn my shirt into a makeshift quiver to hold my crafted arrows for my improvised bow.

I see so many suggestions for adding all this military equipment, but I think a delving into primitive survival gear to an even greater degree would be beneficial to the game.

Nice suggestion. 

Good pieces of kit, All valid to be implemented. 

Do the devs read these though?

Guns sell games :P but would be nice if primate things where added as later content.

Some will say, ‘’but you wouldn’t know who to do that in a real survival situation’’.. Well some do, some don’t… same with guns, but everyone seems to have an innate ability to work fires arms in dayz :)

The devs say they do read to post that was in a live stream 5-6 months ago (  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-RmJrnp85K0 ) But they are now set on what's making in it for beta… I think.

Maybe modders may fill the gaps, maybe dayz will, but i can't see it being easy to add that layer... so may be a major update (if at all, maybe not enough people care, if they are just here for PvP, the extra detail wont be important)

Some knife holsters would be great… then I can pick how I wanna chop people up :P