Mullraugh

Body Armour

With the introduction of the new Equipment Tab at the top of your inventory in 0.63 we can now see where our clothing and equipment fall under in categories such as hats, vests, shirts, etc.

sMlY1GI.png

(Equipment Tab.)

I believe that putting Tactical Vests and Body Armour under the same 'vest' category should be corrected and should be split into two different slots. One for body armour and one for load carrying equipment.

Most countries under both NATO and Warsaw pacts issue soldiers with some sort of chest rig and body armour to wear underneath. For example, in the Canadian Forces we're given a 'frag vest', which is an anti-stab/anti-slash vest which we can put plates in. The frag vest offers no pockets or pouches other than the spaces where the sapi plates go, so we're also issued a tactical vest. This is where we keep our equipment such as magazines, medical supplies, a canteen, etc. The tac vest offers no protection, whereas the frag vest does. You wear these together when in the field.

XknJRzZ.jpg

(Frag Vest left, Tac Vest right.)

This two-vest system is used by many, many countries - including Russia. There are a LOT of different pieces of equipment that the Russian Armed Forces use, but one that stands out to me the most (because of it's existence in the game) is a piece of body armour called Kora Kulon. Look familiar? That's right, fellas. It's the 'anti-stab' police vest in the game already.

2FxOKgE.jpgUSm38u9.png

(Kora Kulon body armour left, DayZ anti-stab vest right. Aside from extra stitching on the DayZ vest they're exactly the same.)

Kora Kulon is a plate carrying bullet resistant body armour used by the Russian police and military. I have no clue why it's ONLY an anti-stab vest in the game, but this is why I'm writing this post. The russkies wear this vest with all sorts of load bearing vests, including the SPOSN SMERSH vest.

V0XZRrn.jpg

(Russians wearing the SMERSH vest and Kora-Kulon body armour. Note they're also wearing the 'Gorka' helmet which is known as a K6-3, Altyn, or ZSh1-2 helmet in real life.)

lMOQNVE.jpg  kWySoJF.jpg

( IRL vs in-game. I photoshopped the anti-stab vest under the SMERSH so you can see what it would look like. SPOSN Gorka-E Uniform, ZSh1-2 Helmet with Visor, Kora Kulon Body Armor, SPOSN SMERSH Vest.)

So my suggestion is to make load-bearing vests have little to no armour value, and add the ability to wear plate carriers and body armour UNDERNEATH the tactical vests and chest rigs. Vests that have both plate carrying and load carrying abilities such as the plate carrier with pouches and/or pistol holster should take up both slots.

Thanks for reading folks and I hope this suggestion finds its way to the ears of the devs, 'cause I reckon it would make the game that much better in the end.

Feel free to throw in your two cents, I'd love to hear your feedback or ideas.

Edited by Mullraugh
  • Like 2
  • Beans 4

I'm sure it's a good idea. However, consider that you have to contend with stamina from 0.63, so the weight of the vest will strain you, while protecting but not letting you run for long. The question arises as to whether it is worth the effort or if you prefer to wear a small backpack with you.

1 hour ago, Sqeezorz said:

I'm sure it's a good idea. However, consider that you have to contend with stamina from 0.63, so the weight of the vest will strain you, while protecting but not letting you run for long. The question arises as to whether it is worth the effort or if you prefer to wear a small backpack with you.

Yes exactly. DayZ is all about how your choices affect your character's ability to survive. Should you choose to wear body armour, you should be prepared to make a compromise - such as a smaller backpack. 

• Beans 1

8 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

Just like the real thing?

As Mull pointed out, You should have to make a sacrifice for it.. SAPI plates are like 2kg each, 1 front and back is 4kg, Call the carrier 2 kg, that makes 6.

Personally, If I'm getting shot in the chest I'd rather have a SAPI between me and the bullet as opposed to some extra items in my bag.

9 hours ago, preacherlr said:

Just like the real thing?

As Mull pointed out, You should have to make a sacrifice for it.. SAPI plates are like 2kg each, 1 front and back is 4kg, Call the carrier 2 kg, that makes 6.

Personally, If I'm getting shot in the chest I'd rather have a SAPI between me and the bullet as opposed to some extra items in my bag.

I know what you mean, and I personally like the idea. The criticism goes only to the effect and the program-technical effort, maybe it is a lot of work or very simple. My misgivings are more likely: with the current discussions about authentic weapon simulation, many players will certainly head for the target, because the meeting is easier because of lack of inaccuracy and has the final effect, death. These are rather my concerns that the effort for the devs and the benefits to your character due to lack of balance or difficulty, are very low, that's a pity.

The idea has merit. 

Perhaps layering could be implemented by combining items to fill a particular slot.  Maybe, as Mullraugh suggests, to add more slots.   I'm not sure which would be easier or better, or if there's another option.  It's true, from clothing items to weapon loadout, your needs change according to the circumstance.

Maybe you're with a squad and you're methodically clearing out an area like the new urban Cherno.  Maybe you're roaming open fields.  Maybe you're camping.  Either way, a standard set of gear probably isn't ideal.  Heavy SWAT gear for clearing towns, a ghillie suit for camping, or a lightweight set for high movement, for example.  Each has pros and cons.  Sacrifices are evaluated.  Realizing this and working on different gear sets provides an interesting dynamic, for sure.  

How to implement it, I'm not sure.  Whether the team decides to not change anything or maybe add it at some point, well, we'll have to wait and see, I guess.  Good food for thought.

The tactical vests are extremely durable and are frequently made of water-resistant materials such as Oxford fabric and Kevlar fibers. Furthermore, they often have a steel wire to stabilize their form in case of carrying heavy loads. The U.S. Marine Corps uses a modular tactical vest with other functionalities made only for the marines.