Sign in to follow this  
HaseDesTodes

Yet another stamina suggestion

There might be some stamina suggestion topics here already, but i thought i should share my ideas here.

I have read, that people wanted some kind of "adrenaline mode", where they could keep sprinting, even if their stamina was consumed.

But as others already have pointed out, having a reliable trigger for this mode can be hard to archieve.

My stamina idea, tries to cover this behaviour, and expand on the impact of rest, nutrition, load and terrain.

Maximum stamina:

This the the maximum you stamina value can regenerate up to.

It can be any number from 0 to 1000.

You spawn at the coast with 500 max stamina, so a freshly spawned player, will have to live a while in order to get the maximum fitness.

When your health or blood take significant damgage, you should get a limit (like 300 for yellow damge) on the maximum stamina. It should work best at the same values, your character starts limping.

If you take serious damage to your legs, your max stamina should receive a serious penalty.

When you start getting hungry it should reduce your max stamina by a value from 0-25% depending on how hungry you are.

Same method with thrirst, but higher values (0-30%).

Some diseases should have a small impact on you max stamina as well, but not to much, because you already will get have impacts from other soures (health/blood), when you get really ill.

On the other hand you should be able to push your character, above the usual boundrys when you take painkillers or stronger narcotics. This should require some sort of long trem effects, when you take them to often. I don't know yet, how in detail this should look like.

Last, but the most important, point is stamina damage, or exhaustion.

When you run and loose all of you stamina, you should be able to keep running.

But pushing you boundarys a bit should come at a price.

When you keep using your stamina, while you have none left, you will start using up you maximum stamina instead. This should happen at a reduced rate (eg. 50%), as regaining max stamina should take a while.

Example:

A fresh spawn has 500/500 stamina and starts sprinting. Sprinting consumes 25 stamina per second (in this situation), so they will be able to sprint 20 seconds until their stamina reaches 0. If they then continue to sprint, they will consume their maximum stamina at a rate of 12.5 per second. So it will take 40 more seconds until his maximum stamina reaches 0.

But even with 0/0 stamina you should be able to sprint, because you can always push your limits more. But this kind of exhaustion comes at a high price. From this point on you will start loosing your health and build up shock damage.

So depending on your other situation you can keep going until you pass out or die.

So actually you can not always push your limits more. At some point, reality will catch up and hit you with force.

What i haven't written about yet, is stamina consumption and regeneration. Let's go with consumption first.

There are a couple of factors that influence how much stamina you will use up while moving

The most important ones are load, movement speed, stance, and the terrain steepness.

I guess it's logical, that carrying much weight or moving at a faster speed have a significant impact on your stamina. But this should even go as far, as that you will use up your stamina while walking, when you carry to much. But unlike in the current system, you can still jog and sprint with much load, but you will get exhausted so fast you will damage you max stamina quickly.

Secondary factors for stamina consumption should be the ground, the air and/or body temperature.

Let me elaborate what i mean by "ground". In the game, you can curently run over all kinds of matertials, and it doesn't really matter.

But whoever has run over gravel, sand or even in the forrest should have noticed, that it's more exhausting, than running on the road. This is, because softer ground absorbs more of you energy.

With simple multipliers for all materials, it should be possible to emulate this effect in the game.

And it would bring more meaning to the path you choose. Running offroad might offer more cover, but you should get exhaused even quicker.

Last points (finally): Stamina regeneration and max stamina regeneration.

Congratulations to everyone who read everything up to this point.

It should be affected not only by your nutrition values, but also by your maximum stamina.

This should ensure, that a totally exhaused player (50 max stamina) can't move like a absolutely fit player. And this should encourage players to watch out for avoidable stamina damage.

A player that took the slower, less exhausting way, could this way gain an advantage over players who recklessly ran all the time.

Values could be somthing like:

20 base regeneration.

Max hydration/energy boost. 20% each

max stamina influence:

(Max stamina+100)*0.001

So with 500 max stamina and full boost you would regain:

20*1.2*1.2*0.6=17.28 stamina/sec (examplary values).

I guess it would be better to use more complex function. Something like sqrt, e^x, log(x) or a combination. I don't really want to provide a perfectly balanced solution at this point.

Your maximum stamina should regenerate very slowly the whole time, but have a significantly increased rate under the same circumstances when healing (hp and blood).

It could even be boosted more when you are at good health.

Like this you can regenerate your max stamina as long as you make sure you aren't damaging it, even when you are hungry and thirsty.

quick summarization:

Base values:

Stamina 100%

Max Stamina: 500 (the value you start with)

max stamina limits: min: 0; max 1000

max stamina affected by: health/blood; energy; water; stamina damage; narcotics; diseases; injuries

stamina loss affected by: load; speed; stance; ground; terrain steepness; temperatures

stamina gain affected by: energy; water; max stamina

Edited by HaseDesTodes
  • Beans 1

I have the feeling that Stamina is going in that direction ... because in 0.62 there are already different influences on you with the different types of ground-types (run without shoes and you will see what it is).

Influence of other and other parameters is really to be expected.

Edited by Sqeezorz