Thurman Merman

My .63 Offline Experiences

15 hours ago, Sqeezorz said:

No, at the moment this is really new the new animation system coupled to the playercontroller is new. There are many things missing compared to 0.62. The stress test version is a raw build of the new engine. The focus is clearly on server load and network. Only the experimental version, and since certainly not the first version at the start, will contain the things you are waiting for.

One more thing - anything new about the zeds?

Edited by Kirov (DayZ)
Oh, nevermind, I've just read they're out

6 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

One more thing - anything new about the zeds?

Maybe I misunderstand you, but Zeds are in the Standalone.  I had 17 near where I spawned a few days ago.  After I killed those, though, I didn't see more except at military spots.  

1 hour ago, Thurman Merman said:

Maybe I misunderstand you, but Zeds are in the Standalone.  I had 17 near where I spawned a few days ago.  After I killed those, though, I didn't see more except at military spots.  

Ok, thanks, I must have misread something. 17 seems like a good start of a horde! I wonder, are there different types of zeds or their new actions like door smashing?

11 hours ago, Kirov (DayZ) said:

Ok, thanks, I must have misread something. 17 seems like a good start of a horde! I wonder, are there different types of zeds or their new actions like door smashing?

I believe door smashing is still in the works.  Right now, they continue to mill around outside the window allowing you to pick them off one by one.

• Beans 1

On 5/5/2018 at 9:57 AM, Thurman Merman said:

1.  "Free" kg for the first 4-7?  I.e., your stamina bar doesn't shrink until you exceed this.  Then, with a minimal setup (pants, jacket,shoes, pistol, axe), you would have your full bar.  It seems a bit ludicrous that my character putting on a shirt or shoes would limit his sprinting abilities.  Especially considering he's a beast who jogs/sprints everywhere he goes.  

2.  Adjust some item weights.  A Gorka weighs 2 kg (this hunting jacket barely weighs 1 kg:  http://www.badlandspacks.com/gear/closeout/inferno-lightweight-jacket whereas in-game an empty M65 weighs 2 kg).  That's nuts; those tops are too heavy.  I have entire ski suits that weigh less than that.  A can opener weighs 1 kg!  That's at least 5x too high.  I'm sure you could run through all items can come up with many adjustments.  

3.  Increase the sprinting ability by around 50%  In other words, carrying nothing, it's not unreasonable to think my guy could sprint 150 m.  Especially considering we're missing a "run" setting (i.e., we can walk, jog, or sprint).  Loaded as in my first pic, I could probably sprint the same distance as shown in the third.  

Anyway, just spit-balling.  Again, this morning, I was so happy with the way the game looks.  Really nice job there.

Edit: typos

Fighting infected in Stress Test #6 confirmed my feelings on the above.  

Edited by Thurman Merman

On 5/1/2018 at 9:13 PM, Thurman Merman said:
  • Am really encouraged by the new melee.  I had expected the combo moves and different attacks to be kind of gimicky, but after playing with them for a bit, I was really starting to enjoy them.  That coupled with the stamina effect should greatly improve melee (I mean, it would be hard not to improve from the prior system, but this looks like it might be really good).

I just tested offline, never could make the stress tests, too early for me.

Anyway I guess this melee system is just basic and very unfinished for now. Thinking like that because we can see our character holding and axe for example high above, and then swings on the side.

What was a bit annoying for me with it was that your character always makes a step forward when attacking. Even when you're sidestepping or moving back, it brakes your movement and then goes with that forward animation. 

What would be great is to be able to swing at someone with some more freedom of movement and block I guess. What would be even greater would be to actually choose the direction like, swing left or right, above on the head or stab forward, depending on the weapon used. Good melee was neglected in games except with a few brilliant dedicated ones like Mount & Blade and Kingdom Come.

I want to say big thanks to developers, for implementing offline mode. It is really good thing, because now you can learn basic stuff and get used to controls much quicker than you would be able to do it online, especially having in mind current stress tests which are often very time limited, and stressful enough due to various problems which are expected. 

It will take proper amount of hours to properly judge what DayZ is now, and thats when it will be in stable, many things in stress tests are possibly off, of what they will be, or what they should be IMO, nevertheless it looks like the work done is really good for what is available in the game right now. 

• Controller seems to be really nice, a bit uncomfortable in few occasions, but lets see how it will be after getting used to, I didn't even fully understood how to reload yet.
  • Inventory navigation and items options seems a bit weird at first, dunno how it will be later.
  • Inventory spacing seems weird now, small bottle of water 6 slots ? 
  • Doors opening is very annoying, I suppose yet to be implemented, they should never push player or make him stuck in any way.
  • Stamina is too quick to drain, too quick to regain. In other words there is too little of it IMO, unless it somehow depends on things which I don't know.
  • Limping occurs very rapidly after short fights, it also goes away quckly. I think this progression just like stamina is accelerated. 
  • No bleeding for now
  • I haven't experienced black and white screen 
  • No player condition messages 
  • In online mode loot was worse than ever

A lot of great things to be mentioned yet, and most of gears grinding things mentioned above are hopefully easily adjustable, or will be implemented/returned as DayZ goes exp. or stable. 0.63 is yet to be discovered.

• Beans 1