Baty Alquawen

Status Report 24 October 2017

1 hour ago, DannyDog said:

No, one of the main systems they have been rewriting since last year IS the animation system. If you search back to previous status reports and a couple of dev blogs they've stated that their old anim system lacked the ability to properly play anims and have them blended together with others. Like the janky jogging while lighting a flare. Not to mention having it all integrated and run by their new enscript system and not engine functions. I suggest doing a bit more research on what the dayz devs are working on to better grasp the scale and difficulty of what they are currently trying to achieve rather than to assume their process is similar to other animation systems and engines.

Well one thing i know is that Bohemia probs has the most complex game engine out there since they focus on simulations and stuff like that, so gotta agree.

Exacomvm, impressive work you show here. Thanks for the thoughtful replies. I hope the modding abilities of Dayz allow you to have some fun with that too. I hope that Dayz will have some decent shaders for wet surfaces, like BF1 has, shiny wet roads, roofs, guns and gear, maybe mud too! It will make wed night time look much better. I also would like to localised gore, wounds, and scars, so I can tell from people's appearance where the are or have been wounded. I also Love to hear players scream and agonise from the wounds or pains they have. And please add brushing and contact sounds for Walking through brushes, bumping into walls, trees, through puddles. The more sounds there are the more physical and tangible the game will feel.

In general I get a feeling that now the base code is starting to come together, content creation is speeding up.

For the next Status Report I love to know how the Z's AI is doing. I wish the Z's play a more interesting role, have more a human feel to them. Their current cartoon like movement, behaviour, sounds do not fit the realism Dayz is going for. Please eliminate this cartoon realism contradiction. Maybe the Z's live of eating the Dead players? Maybe there roaming gangs patrolling neighbourhoods? Maybe players can cause some infighting? Maybe some have melee or other weapons?

• Like 1

Yeah, the Z's smarter AI could be awesome, like nearly human-like, there could be lone wolf style Z's like pure predators w/o much of brain just doing stuff based on their instincts similair as current Z's, mostly roaming in towns. The smarter "breed" of Z's working in packs doing some sort of ambushes or just living their own lives mostly found outside of towns in forests etc or just travelling in fields. Like imagine you're travelling and there's sitting like 8 Z's in front of fireplace eating some humans and once spotted they send a bunch of arrows your way and some attack with meele weapons with a running speed of wolves and endless stamina ( well but since death would be nearly unavoidable there should be system that theyre afraid of towns or something so it would let u escape e.g. they dont go outside of their "land" ) and there should be alot of these "packs", it should make a serious challenge to travel somewhere without proper weapons, so it would not be such "running simulator" and players in general should be more friendly seeking for company bringing less KoS in the game and overall less boring travels. For these who wants to gear up and just kill some players this could be annoying.

Edited by exacomvm
  • Like 1

I hope the AI can be server adjustable and modable. So server admins can adjust the pvp ratio pve by adjusting the z' AI, equipment etc.

I also like for some map global effects or events some day. Weather changes, seasons, plane crashes, shipwrecks, military convoys, refugee invasion etc to shake things up.

• Like 1