SillySil

The reason why it's "shoot on sight"

This is perfectly logical.

What do you think would happen if you'd put a bunch of people with no regard for human life or compassion (since we don't care about other players dying in game in the slightest) on an island with sparse resources and guns. Of course they are going to kill each other.

We don't have conscience in the game. We never cared that our "frags" feel bad when we kill them. Nor that we should either. Mentality is not going to change. We will not start caring about what our "frags" feel.

If you'd want this to be more realistic (since not everyone in real life is like that) the characters we're playing would need conscience and some consequences for being good or bad. There would also need to be peaceful NPC survivors who live in one place without running around and scavenging (since there would be people like that, but being like that in a video game would get boring fast, so nobody is going to be like that in game).

Conclusion: the "shoot on sight" behavior is realistic in a world where nobody has any morals or conscience.

True, some people have suggested a Karma system for the game. Whereas the better you act when alive the better equipment you have when you spawn and break legs more seldom etc.

Only reason you wouldn't shoot on sight is if there is an advantage to having the person alive. A 'specialization' skill system for each character would do this. Would you shoot on sight if you needed medical attention and the other character was possibly a doctor? Would you shoot on sight if you needed someone who could repair the helicopter you found and that character is possibly a helicopter mechanic? Etc. etc. etc.

I think it's because of a domino effect. As long as there is a few bandits who shoot on sight, everyone else will be afraid of that. So much so that they assume everyone they meet is a bandit, and shoot on site. The ones killed by those assume they were killed by a bandit, not a scared survivor. It goes on.

Then you get what we have here, a kill or be killed society.

Only reason you wouldn't shoot on sight is if there is an advantage to having the person alive. A 'specialization' skill system for each character would do this. Would you shoot on sight if you needed medical attention and the other character was possibly a doctor? Would you shoot on sight if you needed someone who could repair the helicopter you found and that character is possibly a helicopter mechanic? Etc. etc. etc.

Well there are three reasons why you wouldn't kill someone.

1 you need that person to do something' date=' like you said

2 killing him could bring dire consequences (you make noise and attract something/someone or become wanted for doing it)

3 you have a conscience and would feel bad about killing someone for fun or for a can of beans.

You don't really need other people for anything at the moment so reason 1 is gone. Nobody cares that another player would feel bad if you kill him so reason 3 is gone.

The only valid at the moment would be reason 2, you might attract zeds or get killed by someone else if you give up your position.

I think it's because of a domino effect. As long as there is a few bandits who shoot on sight, everyone else will be afraid of that. So much so that they assume everyone they meet is a bandit, and shoot on site. The ones killed by those assume they were killed by a bandit, not a scared survivor. It goes on.

Then you get what we have here, a kill or be killed society.

It's still because you don't feel bad or care. You don't think twice before killing someone. Even if you'd think "what if he's not a bandit?" the answer is still "I don't really care, killing him doesn't hurt me at all"

What amuses me about the whole PvP thing is that threads like this invariably get posts on the lines of: 'it's part of the game, suck it up loser, it's kill or be killed in the bad-ass world of the zombie apocalypse' although generally with more spelling mistakes. And yet all the evidence suggests that when the going gets tough these self-proclaimed bad-asses pussy out. Sure, they're tough as old boots when it comes to shooting unarmed survivors and sniping people who haven't seen them but when faced with someone who shoots back they can't hit Alt-F4 fast enough.

I aint even complaining. I'm just saying why it is how it is and that it's perfectly logical.

True' date=' some people have suggested a Karma system for the game. Whereas the better you act when alive the better equipment you have when you spawn and break legs more seldom etc.

[/quote']

I think a system like this was attempted with the "Humanity" statistic. I personally think anything to combat PvP is un-necessary. The current PvP method, is in my opinion, perfectly logical and understandable.

True' date=' some people have suggested a Karma system for the game. Whereas the better you act when alive the better equipment you have when you spawn and break legs more seldom etc.

[/quote']

I think a system like this was attempted with the "Humanity" statistic. I personally think anything to combat PvP is un-necessary. The current PvP method, is in my opinion, perfectly logical and understandable.

In a world where nobody has a regard for human life or compassion or conscience, yes.

The current PvP method' date=' is in my opinion, perfectly logical and understandable.

[/quote']

(if you are a sociopath)

Seriously - I've only killed 1 guy and that basically was because he was a direct threat. The way I play there is no real necessity to kill someone else wise, usually it would be a waste of bullets.

I do agree that there is a strong domino effect going on and to make things even worse, humans tend to forget about positive events much faster than negative ones.

I was sat at a helicopter crash waiting for a friend to come and loot it when two players came in guns blazing killing all the zombies and started to loot. I opened up onto both of them and killed them. I felt well bad afterwards and when I saw they had good gear I felt worse :(. Only reason I shot was because I've been shot and betrayed that many times I can't trust anyone.

Only people I shoot are ones that I seen engage combat with another first, or that one guy with the horde of zombies after him, my aim is terrible. Sadly he bled out on a ladder, then a second time as he learned I was no longer in my previous sniper spot and that it was a horrible death trap once zombies got on it.

What you are suggesting sounds like we are all criminals who washed up on a beach. Why do we all lack compassion and want to kill on sight? A lot of players actually dont want to play that way but the fear factor is such that you shoot first or die (i generally die).

I agree that there needs to be consequences (not penalties) for actions, but what they could be is still up for debate.

I have always proposed mass murderers needing psychological drugs while more 'normal' players dont. But is this a penalty - not too sure.

What do you think would happen if you'd put a bunch of people with no regard for human life or compassion (since we don't care about other players dying in game in the slightest) on an island with sparse resources and guns. Of course they are going to kill each other.

Or rob, threaten and capture each other. In that situation, maybe you'd prefer to steal from them and then leave them alone so you can steal from them again later.

But in DayZ, if you kill them they respawn and you can kill them again later with more gear.

And I'm sure if you tried to play highwayman and shouted "Your gold or your life!" most people would logoff before you got to the second "your". Or they would shoot you, since our characters are always moving with their guns raised.

Killing on sight is the only effective way to play bad guy.

I don't agree with the the OPs philosophy. Some of us have more hippy in us that others, peace man! ;)

I never shoot on sight.. i have hunted bandit snipers before and talked down several scared survivors. I haven't been playing long but i'd say 90% of my encounters with others have been peaceful and rather tense. More fun expecting a shoot out but never shooting 1st...gets the blood pumping.

Bandit skin ftw' date=' if you can differentiate about self defence or not

[/quote']

+1

removing it was the worst thing to happen to this game

It is kill or be killed pretty much, i do not seek out players to get the drop on them that would be to easy and i know many players does that to avoid a fair fight or simple to boost hes stats.

But if i come across a player i do not know i will gun him down, no hesitation...not because i can but because i should, better its him than me.

It is kill or be killed pretty much' date=' i do not seek out players to get the drop on them that would be to easy and i know many players does that to avoid a fair fight or simple to boost hes stats.

But if i come across a player i do not know i will gun him down, no hesitation...not because i can but because i should, better its him than me.

[/quote']

Because there is absolutely no downside except making sound and loosing few bullets.

If he's a bandit and was going to shoot you then saved yourself. Plus you can loot the body. If he was innocent and wasn't going to shoot you... well you don't care. Nobody feels bad about pixels.

Because there is absolutely no downside except making sound and loosing few bullets.

If he's a bandit and was going to shoot you then saved yourself. Plus you can loot the body. If he was innocent and wasn't going to shoot you... well you don't care. Nobody feels bad about pixels.

Except me, I hate the thought of inflicting the frustration I get when killed, onto another player.

On another note, one thing that has been bothering me, is that when you get the jump on someone, its not just an advantage. You win. Period.

I think it's almost too easy to kill someone, the victim never has a fighting chance unless the bandit has terrible aim.

stop comparing this shit to real life.

you don't respawn in real life. it completely fucks all moral comparison.

When I started playing this game, I started to make friends, and actually got a couple guys I met in server to join TS and start playing as a group.

Thing is, when I actually attempt to contact and talk to people, it's usually when I'm not geared, because EVERY single time I've had anything decent on me and try to show players I'm friendly, I get shot.

I play pretty late night though, maybe it's because most people don't speak english when I play? I dunno.

First example is, I have an AKM and binocs, decent gear, food, water, medical supplies, nothing AWESOME but at least a decent setup. I am right outside of a treeline in a field, and my friend is right inside the tree line with a sniper.

I see two guys across the field from us, and I can see them looking at me with binocs. I salute once or twice, then run back and forth and vault a few times. This is to let them know I know they are there and I'm not shooting. I inch closer and closer, and still saluting and vaulting, and tell the in direct chat that I'm friendly, and over VOIP.

Two seconds later, one shoots me. Doesn't kill me, or knock me out, but it breaks my leg. As soon as my friend hears the shot he destroys both the guys, and we go loot the bodies. When I said I had medical supplies, I mean everything but a stupid morphine injector.

So I had to crawl all the way back to my tent. That was fun. This same thing has happened over and over, and I'm at the point now where If I have something decent on me, I'm not taking a chance anymore.

Raided NW airfield last night, saw A lot of zombies inside a building, and could hear flies so assumed that there was a dead player body in there. I walk in, open the first door on my left and there's a player right behind the door with a magnum in my face. Twitch reaction was to kill him violently with the axe I had equipped. He didn't shoot, but he moved, I think he was reloading. Probably the saw and 400 rounds he had just picked up.

Case and point, nearly every time I've tried to make friends I have died. Everytime I shoot first and ask questions later I stay alive and end up with better loot.

Sucks, but that's the way it is.

stop comparing this shit to real life.

you don't respawn in real life. it completely fucks all moral comparison.

I said like 3 times that nobody cares about death of pixels and that it's nothing weird. You must have missed that.

[/quote']

In a world where nobody has a regard for human life or compassion or conscience, yes.

I see what your saying but I disagree.

The system is fine as it is and I hate the thought of introducing a "Moral" system of any type. Probably 90% of people will shoot on sight (I do myself sometimes), maybe more maybe less.

I think your missing the reason DayZ became so popular so quickly. It's because of the harshness of the system and the need to think quickly that has helped make DayZ what it is. If you read any of the reviews or stories from within the game then you'll realise that it's much more intricate than people just shooting on site. I've been helped (and I've helped) many other people. Of course there is the chance of being tricked or misled but it's exactly this dynamic that creates tension within the game and almost turns it into a social experiment. And it makes it much more rewarding if you do manage to make a friend you can trust. It's a rare event and so becomes more special. Many people in the game do act with a conscience and naturally want to help others. One guy even set himself up as a doctor just to help people.

Creating a system that rewards/punishes or sends you down a certain path based on your play style is the worst thing that could happen to DayZ. From what I've read so far, thankfully Rocket agrees. The system works because of it's simplicity and messing around with it will just begin to give us a contrived experience.