Rob Roy

Two Characters - Can I delete one?

I had/had this character geared up nicely. While running back to camp I got the message something like :(no messages for 7 seconds) it was in red and then the screen went black and I was re-spawned all fresh and new. Lost everything, but managed to get back to my camp. I tried to jump to the server I was on when I crashed to see if I could recover items my guy had or that I had stashed away in barrels. Come to find out that when I switched characters, I was no longer the new guy that fought and crawled back to base camp, but now I was the guy that was in the server when the crash happened. Two different characters that can not occupy the same place or pick up loot stashed away by the other character.

How do I delete one of the characters so that I can maintain the use of only one character throughout public official servers?

Similar things have happened to me before.  It's been a while but on more than one occasion I've had a situation where I connect to a server and I spawn in as a freshie - even though I didn't die when I last logged off.  What I do when that happens is log off immediately before that character is saved to the hive and before overwrites your old/geared character.  Try different servers until you see your old character, but if it's still the freshie then log off immediately again.  Rinse, repeat.  Sometimes it's just too late and you have to start over.

Worth mentioning: You can only have one 3PP public character and one 1PP public character (and as many private server characters as you want).   I've never heard of anyone having two 3PP characters or two 1PP's on one steam account so I think it's likely that you've either suffered from a server/hive hiccup (hive having not updated your character, or hive overwritten your old character with a freshie) or you've gotten your 3PP/1PP/Private mixed up.  I'm pretty sure it's happened to all of us at one point or another.

Well Mr.  Walnuts, funny you should mention 3pp. I noticed that I could no longer get a 3rd person view any more on a server designated as 3pp. That was prior to the game crash I had where I had a freshy upon restart. Then when I switched servers to find perhaps any gear I had dropped at the crash point. When I came into that server I was the character I had been playing at the time of the crash. So I thought, maybe I could drop gear from one character to another in say a barrel or tent, but I can't as everytime I try, I can not play my other character on the same server as my other player is on.

I should mention I am on Windows 7. I wish I could explain better what I mean.

Thanks for your response.

On the Public Hive, you cannot have more than one character per server type.  You can have one First Person Server Character, and one Third Person Server Character.  There is no transfer between the two, having a 1PP Character should/will not affect whatever you do on a 3PP server.  You cannot have a 'farmer' and a 'scavenger' on the same server, you only have your one character.  This is not a bug, this is working as intended at the moment.

I think I'm picking up what you're laying down...  So, say I only want one player type, either the 1PP character or the 3PP? Can I delete one of them?

There's no need to delete them, you can't actually delete one even if you wanted to.  If you don't want your 3rd Person (3PP) character simply don't play him.  The same goes for your 1PP character.    Have a look here for reference:  http://dayz.gamepedia.com/Servers 

Towards the bottom of that link is info that may clear things up:  Server Types and Camera Perspective

Two things that may help in the Server Browser menu:

-Stay on the Official Servers tab for now, this will lessen the confusion a bit until you get he hang of it.

-Use the Third Person checkbox on the filters menu, this way you will only see servers appropriate to the character you want

So, if you prefer 3PP put a check-mark next to it -and if you prefer 1PP but a red X through it.

KG8zMrp.jpg

just a q&d screenie with the relevant stuff highlighted

Good luck.