cirkular

Aiming through windows etc

Loving the new changes in 0.62 :)

Not finding anything on this part of the forum that something like this was discussed (but I sure think it was). While we're waiting for the new player controller in 0.63, I was thinking about a certain frustrating part of the current one. Aiming through windows, holes, cracks etc. I'm sure just about everybody here always missed that extra inch(es) higher or lower to get your gun barrel over that window edge or frame. Standing up straight or crouching would make it too much and nothing in between. Moving around makes noise someimes. Sure is a good thing that we have a roll option beside the regular pitch, but we could be really happy with some yaw available. Personally I'd go with a key bind that when you press engage the roll and/or yaw control with your mouse. I guess it would result in our character showing slightly bending in the knees. Do you think we could get something like that?

hqdefault.jpg

*just a poor example screenshot grabbed in haste from the internet

• Like 1

ArmA 3 has it done nicely. Imho the best cover/lean out system was in Red Orchestra 2 (at least from what ive experienced)

On 6/19/2017 at 7:37 PM, Blafirelli said:

ArmA 3 has it done nicely. Imho the best cover/lean out system was in Red Orchestra 2 (at least from what ive experienced)

OK, getting back to this. I hope more people see this.

I really don't know about those since I didn't get them because I don't want to play Arma 3 or Red Orchestra kinds of shooters, although some time back I checked out some clips on youtube and I know those systems introduced were more advanced from what we were used to couple of years ago. I'm guessing it's done pretty similar to what I suggest here. Besides simply pressing a button to get into cover, I think this is also important part of the player controllers and mechanics for shooter games. The thing with games like these is that we should always search for ways to improve and expand the limitations of an engine and player controllers. We know the problem not being to aim up as far as we should, which is the current controller limit. Also I don't know the developers' view, plans and work on this so far. But let me ask you: How often did you want to do something simple like this in a shooting game, but you just couldn't? I'm talking pretty much 1st person view only, and I don't know, maybe this all steps well into the VR field but I was thinking how to make it simple.

My game development knowledge is pretty poor, but I guess this might require some more coding and postures within animations, so this is how I imagine it right now:

We've got the Q and E default keys for leaning (which is basically just a bit of rotation) and Z, X and C for prone, crouch and standing up.

1. What if when you're holding Q or E to lean behind the corner, you could move your mouse further left or right to move your weapon a bit more and if you're not in aiming mode you could at least place a couple of shots, blindly?

2. Similarly, when you're standing up, holding the stand up button would enable you to move your mouse to look a bit higher or lower:

- Weapon down or holstered = just to peek,

- Weapon pointed=  shoot blindly over an obstacle

- Weapon aimed = get your gun barrel a bit higher or lower into that space you were looking for to shoot.

3. If you are crouched, and if you hold your crouch button you could move your mouse up or down so you could get the same results.

Hell, maybe they can ditch the Q and E altogether and use both mouse up-down and mouse left-right when holding these crouch and stand up buttons to extend and bend your body or just hands/arms position, within normal physical limits, of course? :D

Edited by cirkular