RemingtonV1

Store Red 9 in stock

As I said in the title, can we have it where you can store your Red 9(s) in the stock? It would size the pistol down to the 2 slots of the stock, but since its stored in the stock, you cant quickly draw it in an emergency. Of course, if you have an improvised suppressor on it, it wont fit. And could we be able to wear the stock as a holster? This would allow the user to quick draw the weapon again, but now you can't have the stock on it unless you unequipped it from yourself, then equip it onto the weapon.

Edited by RemingtonV1

Does it take up more inventory space with the stock attached?.. i didn't think it did for some reason.. been a while since i bothered using the stock though! This kind of thing will get sorted out during beta hopefully, devs too busy working on getting to beta at this stage, going by the status reports.

No. With stock attached, its still 2x2. But I think it would be cool if you could do it the other way and have it in the stock's 2x1 space, at the cost of it being harder to get to if you need it. Its mostly like if you are carrying an extra for your buddy or something. 

Edited by RemingtonV1

5 hours ago, RemingtonV1 said:

As I said in the title, can we have it where you can store your Red 9(s) in the stock? It would size the pistol down to the 2 slots of the stock

Item sizes don't make sense in many cases. I don't think stock and pistol combined should take only 2 slots inside inventory when the pistol alone takes 4. The stock/holster should have to be its own clothing item to give a storage advantage.

NYCzakh.png

9 hours ago, -Gews- said:

Item sizes don't make sense in many cases. I don't think stock and pistol combined should take only 2 slots inside inventory when the pistol alone takes 4. The stock/holster should have to be its own clothing item to give a storage advantage.

Yeah it doesnt make sense. Like why the stock only takes up 2 when the stock is bigger than the pistol itself? But like I said, yeah it would get a storage advantage....at the cost of taking longer to draw. Now if you wore it like a holster, you'd save 6 slots, but would either have to not have the stock on the pistol, or take time to remove the stock from your person and attach it to the pistol. 

Edited by RemingtonV1

When the time comes to let the stock be a holster (which is probably waiting for the player controller to be put in, which should provide a better way for it to be handled with the improved inventory handling features), I don't think it should drop to 2x1 - that's the same size as a derringer, and that makes no sense.

It should stay 2x2, but I'd like to see it be able to be used in one or more of the following ways:

1. Attach it to the crafted leather vest in some fashion (either at chest level like the plate carrier or on the side at waist level).
  2. Combine it with rope (threaded through the belt hook built into the stock) to make a simple shoulder sling that could occupy the vest slot, and it would hang at waist level, or allow us to create an improvised chest holster that can only hold the C96. 
  3. Attach it to a large backpack that includes a belt strap (like the ALICE and the Coyote backpacks)
  4. Or, add the stock to the "top inventory row" (alongside the hats, shoes, etc - sort of like treating it as an A2 'belt item' ) or turn it into a piece of clothing with inventory (like the military boots that can hold a knife)
  5. Additionally, if its possible to do with the new controller, the stock by itself should be allowed to be used on its own as an improvised container for 9mm ammo. Not a lot, maybe just 25 rounds, but it would be worth it to be able to put that hollow space inside it to use, and free up a single inventory slot.

Of course, as with many things in DayZ, the devil is in the details when it comes to making things both work and look right. Belt holsters of any kind will have issues with the model clipping into various clothing models (which is probably why holsters in SA are on the chest, and in ArmA they hang low on the thigh), and they will have to consider the cost/benefit of spending the time to make the holsters look right with all clothing combinations. Then there are the potential issues with item classes, given that it can be a container, a holster, an attachment, and a piece of clothing (sometimes several of those at the same time).

Don't be discouraged by that last paragraph, though. It may be a tricky problem to tackle, but it would seem a very interesting experiment for the devs to see just what can be done with the new controller and the new ways it can handle items and inventory. Off the top of my head, I can't think of another item that's in the game now that has as many possible ways for a player to use it in the future. 

Edited by chambersenator