Sign in to follow this  
TyrDaishi

[Suggestion] for manual server restarts

Hi, for obvious reasons I would like to propose two changes regarding server management:

1. If the server is restarted (not crashing) an automated message should appear what is causing the restart (e.x. scheduled, admin initiated aso.)

2. If a server gets restarted a 5 minute delay should be implemented between issuing the command and the actual restart.

• Like 1

Are you trying to roundabout report that server admin abuses are still a thing?  OMG, Whoda thunkitt?!?

Wait for all the "I paid for it, and I should be able to do anything I want with it" arguments to come rolling in.

But yeah dude, I get ya.  I've spent a few hours getting geared-up on private servers before, only to have the server mysteriously restart after a squadwipe.  Almost as if the admins got salty and flipped over the checkerboard...

Just don't play with big babies. Problem solved.

• Like 1

I might claim that my position has nothing to do with what you propose it does and that I'm not willing to confirm or deny such a position. I would however point out that from both, being a professional administrator for diverse server environments, and for reason of simple logic I don't see any disadvantages and only advantages to my innocent suggestion. At best any disadvantage one could claim would be a minor nuisance instead of an argument against such a policy. I might also point out that this argument would not hold true, and doesn't have to on any reasonable bases, the moment this system changes to a moddable open platform.

Most decent admins will just post a friendly message warning players ahead of time if they need to restart for some reason.

The need for a warning, and the delay, implies abuse.  I agree with the suggestion.

I also agree that there are unenforced server hosting terms that should prevent the need for such changes.  (but nobody asked me about that)

• Like 1

I owned my own server for a year(PeOn server of heros and bandits) which was at one point top 15 on all Dayz servers. Now i have admin in Green crack which has hit number 5 in the world.

When i had the peon server up only me and my friend had admin. If i could get a penny for every time we were accused of restarting the server when someone died.. i would be rich. People would go on reddit and accuse of doing it, but i will tell you right now, on my dead grandmother, not once have i ever restarted a server when i died. Most people have never hosted a Dayz server, so they don't know they are unstable. I used to think people restarted servers too when i killed them until i started hosting one myself.

The times i do have to restart the server i will put a 5 minute warning, and other times when i have to restart it because it's lagging really bad i will also put a global message out.

• Like 1