Sign in to follow this  
gaweu

Broken/Trash items as new feature and maybe improve loot distribution/rarity

Hi. 

So i will go short on it now because 1 min ago i made like full sreen of text and ofcourse i didnt copy it before Submiting Topic. I got message that i cant submit shit because im not logged in and i dont have permision.... so annyoing...

What about adding empty can's, rotted can's and fruits ( like we had before ) that would lower spawn chance of food that we can find and eat. It would imprve survival aspect of game.

Same could be with other item's because so far 95% of items that we find are usefulland we can always do something with those even if thats more or less popular. What if for example we would get some "broken walkie talkie, screws, some spare parts" or other stuff that is just useless and because there would be more items in loot table it would make other items more rare. 

If we would have those maybe there would be space for some new mechanic maybe that would be fixing/repairing items. If You would have ruined walkie talki You could find something like toolbox and then combine broken one with ruin one to have chance of fixing it to like damaged status. Then if You would find some more parts like screws or something there could be chance to fix it even more? Maybe also there could be something like disassemble option with toolbox to collect some parts that would allow You to fix other stufll later on.

I know walkie talkie is not something that we are all looking for but its just example.

Same with gun's right now we get only pristine one's maybe there should be some damaged/broken too?

Edited by gaweu

1 hour ago, scriptfactory said:

Member when DayZ had empty cans? I do. It caused a bunch of unnecessary server load.

I, personally, don't like this idea.

Im not talking about leaving empty cans behind when You consume them. It would just replace other items, not spawn more of them. Which would make regural food more rare. 

I'm sorry. I thought the gist of this suggestion was that there would be less useful items. I don't like THAT idea. Just spawn less stuff if you want to introduce the concept of scarcity.

• Like 1

I don't think it's altogether such a bad idea. Think about this, every kitchen cupboard and drawer has crockery, cutlery, glassware, etc. The same 'junk' rule applies to fridges, bookshelves, wardrobes, bathroom cabinets, & the list goes on and on. There'd be so much junk lying around in world containers that it'd be far too taxing to add ANY of them to the Central Loot Economy. However, what if there was a client side "junk economy" system that could be used to help populate the DayZ world? Precise quantities & specific types of items become unimportant, they don't need to be tracked by the server or from player to player...it's just junk, there's so much of it, it doesn't matter.

• Like 1

Yeah, like papers, plastic bottles, and industrial tape right now lol. I like entering rooms with a lot of papers lying around, it's pretty cool to have a feeling that people was there before. 

Right now it just feels like you're entering some model town in a construction expo with a couple of infected walking around.

All those "junk items" should spawn on the client side only (or partially). 

Imagine the difference that gonna have for the game atmosphere finding something useful among a lot of stuff you don't need, but should be there! 

I.E. You need a knife, you go to a kitchen, open a drawer:

1. You have an empty drawer with a knife. Great who the hell have only a knife there? Minus 10 points to immersion

2. You have a drawer full of garbage stuff (spoons, plastic stuff, rat shit, dead insects, etc) AND a knife! You even have simulated look into a real drawer while you check all the things are there! 

Option 2 is far more realistic and immersive. 

I don't like the idea of useless items. Think about it. If items are useless it uses server resources which would be used for nothing but aesthetics. You say make it client side? You waste local resources if they implement it that way. You would see your 60 FPS drop to 40 FPS. Why? For junk. If new items are added they should all have a purpose and not be useless eye candy. For example if you see a empty can. You should be able to craft a makeshift knife, container, or pot. Every item should have a purpose and use. Not only for aesthetics. Otherwise use the resources to spawn in more items, more infected, or more wildlife. Not used on useless items. IMO.

• Like 2

23 hours ago, Kronons said:

I don't like the idea of useless items. Think about it. If items are useless it uses server resources which would be used for nothing but aesthetics. You say make it client side? You waste local resources if they implement it that way. You would see your 60 FPS drop to 40 FPS. Why? For junk. If new items are added they should all have a purpose and not be useless eye candy. For example if you see a empty can. You should be able to craft a makeshift knife, container, or pot. Every item should have a purpose and use. Not only for aesthetics. Otherwise use the resources to spawn in more items, more infected, or more wildlife. Not used on useless items. IMO.

Actually I don´t think they would affect graphics a lot. I mean, they can make them spawn just on an area around your character, so it wouldn´t have the same impact as normal loot has on the server, since it spawns millions of them in the whole map.

Looting / checking a house takes already enough time for me. Finding some loot is nice, when it's rewarding. If there is a high chance of useless stuff it will make killing others (with the good stuff!) much more attractive. Hence it will create more KOS.

The houses / kitchens etc could have a bit more papers / clutter, but that should be just part of the house model. On the streets, in the forest, the wind could carry dead leaves, papers, roll a can over the pavement, have the wires move, ripple pools, curtains moving, flags moving etc.

I don't think players should be able to do delicate repairs because it's unrealistic and it's finicky.

I rather have a an easier time finding loot. For instance wind that (slam) closes doors (sound) when new loot has spawned in a house. In this way you can be a bit more sure to find something in a village where all the doors are closed. The sudden slam door sound could scare players, and have zombies scan around. Adding randomness to the looting town experience.

I too hate to see my long typing gone because I was logged out unnoticed before I submitted!

On 12/2/2016 at 5:23 PM, exwoll said:

Actually I don´t think they would affect graphics a lot. I mean, they can make them spawn just on an area around your character, so it wouldn´t have the same impact as normal loot has on the server, since it spawns millions of them in the whole map.

It will affect graphics a lot. No matter if you do it server side or client side. It will take resources. Each individual item is rendered in to display on your screen. With one item you may not notice a significant change, but let say you increase the item rendering to 100 or 1000 items in a building or city. You just increase usage of resources. Add all of that on top of zombie spawning in and rendering, buildings rendering in, trees, grass, roads, sky, etc...How it basically works is the more geometry in a given location the more resources used.  

Edited by Kronons

21 hours ago, Kronons said:

It will affect graphics a lot. No matter if you do it server side or client side. It will take resources. Each individual item is rendered in to display on your screen. With one item you may not notice a significant change, but let say you increase the item rendering to 100 or 1000 items in a building or city. You just increase usage of resources. Add all of that on top of zombie spawning in and rendering, buildings rendering in, trees, grass, roads, sky, etc...How it basically works is the more geometry in a given location the more resources used.  

If the rendering is limited, it shouldnt affect performance in a perceivable degree. At least for people who have a decent GPU, The rest can get a new one or just lower the number of items in the settings file.

On 12/9/2016 at 10:04 AM, exwoll said:

If the rendering is limited, it shouldnt affect performance in a perceivable degree. At least for people who have a decent GPU, The rest can get a new one or just lower the number of items in the settings file.

You would think it shouldn't have a perceivable degree of performance. Remember first and foremost this is a very complex game with lots of dependencies. Even limiting rendering it would still use resources. In computing it is known the improvement of lets say 1 minute to 30 secs is a great improvement. To put this into perspective. Lets say you set the number of junk items to spawn to 100 items in the player radius. Now on top of the rendering of the junk items the game will also spawn another 100 items in a town. Lets say it takes 1 sec for each item to spawn. You initially would have 100 secs before all loot is spawned, but if you add junk loot it would take another 100 secs. Causing the game to take 200 secs of load time. You may say hey it doesn't seem to bad right? But you be wrong. Compound the size and scope of the Dayz world and you would be eating up resources on the client or server side for no reason. Now if you really want aesthetics where you see junk items all over the place. It would be best to have it render with the map itself and not with the loot spawn system. You wouldn't be able to pick them up and interact with them, but it would use less resources then trying to spawn in junk items. You may see some improvements in 0.62 in this matter since the main focus is improving the environment of Dayz.

On 1/10/2017 at 0:16 PM, Kronons said:

You would think it shouldn't have a perceivable degree of performance. Remember first and foremost this is a very complex game with lots of dependencies. Even limiting rendering it would still use resources. In computing it is known the improvement of lets say 1 minute to 30 secs is a great improvement. To put this into perspective. Lets say you set the number of junk items to spawn to 100 items in the player radius. Now on top of the rendering of the junk items the game will also spawn another 100 items in a town. Lets say it takes 1 sec for each item to spawn. You initially would have 100 secs before all loot is spawned, but if you add junk loot it would take another 100 secs. Causing the game to take 200 secs of load time. You may say hey it doesn't seem to bad right? But you be wrong. Compound the size and scope of the Dayz world and you would be eating up resources on the client or server side for no reason. Now if you really want aesthetics where you see junk items all over the place. It would be best to have it render with the map itself and not with the loot spawn system. You wouldn't be able to pick them up and interact with them, but it would use less resources then trying to spawn in junk items. You may see some improvements in 0.62 in this matter since the main focus is improving the environment of Dayz.

You didn't understood me. Trash items would be only rendered in the client side. Each player would see their own "garbage" lying around (in their individual effective range), since it wouldn't have any practical use, they wouldn't need to be in the CLE.

So basically it would be 1 player running around cherno with different garbage around a lets say 50m radius.

Edited by exwoll