Sign in to follow this  
ChefAngelo

My first few hours - alone but so much fun

So finally got DayZ last night, wanted to play when it was a mod but no longer had a computer that could run it. Finally got a laptop I can game on normally so this was at the top of my list.

Only played a bit last night, under an hour because it took me forever to realize my duh moment of having experimental checked which kept me from getting into servers.

Anyways I have just got done playing about 3-4hrs. Not really sure where I am, but I found compass so I'm heading North-ish. Managed to find a shotgun early on, as well as can opener and a 20 slot backback all in my first 20 minutes. Didn't find shells for it for another half hour. I was probably lucky to have started near an apple orchard so food wasn't an issue, though wish there was a pig around as I prefer apple pork stew over raw apple, but Alpha or not I doubt they'll let me get creative with my cooking. I did run into some zombies, a splitting axe I had took care of them easy, but I accidentally swapped weapons at wrong time so I had to stitch up and clean a wound and I've been sick from that ever since. Also tested the shotgun, that was glorious.

I got enough stuff I feel I should hold onto, duct tape, lockpicks, sparkplug, makarov clip, 9mm ammo, flashlight (need battery), dropped a walkie talkie somewhere by accident so no longer that. propane canister (medium), couple cans of food, my water bottle... that I wound up saying screw it to how I looked and went for utility. Got rid of the cool hat, and wearing a motorcycle helmet for the protection. A hoodie and jeans for extra slots, and I'm pretty much carrying my shotgun because I found a IZH rifle but no ammo for it so waiting to let go of shotgun till I get ammo for it but I won't remember where I leave the rifle. It slightly annoying, but that is survival for you.

Anyways I'm not sure if that a good collection for about 4hrs of play first time out. I also found a bunch of gasoline canisters mostly filled, pristine off road wheels, a bus wheel, but couldn't carry any of them. Eventually down the line with a couple dozen hours in I think I'll try learning how to set up a "base" so I can horde stuff, which does lead me to a question, do I need to be online and on same server as someone else for them to stumble across my stash and steal it? Or just on same server as last login? Or just online?

Also any suggestions on gear to hang onto if I find for a more lone-wolf style of play (at least for now). I have no friends that play this (yet), and I have a feeling a lot of people will be annoyed playing with me as I am deaf-ish so I miss half of what people say to me.

Oh and since I'm sure everyone has requests, mine are allowing at least a single hip-bag, a 2x5 or 2x6 interior. Also, able to remove the sound of my own footsteps. That mostly because it drowns out most other sounds for me because of my hearing.

• Like 1

The base stays in the server you created it. It will be there for anyone who stumble upon it  in that server only. 

Great progress for just 4 hours tho! :D

1 hour ago, exwoll said:

The base stays in the server you created it. It will be there for anyone who stumble upon it  in that server only. 

Great progress for just 4 hours tho! :D

Well I went back in and noticed I was on a private hive. Didn't realize that at first. I'll probably still jump on there but decided to start on a public one so I don't have to rely on connection to a single server. This guy did not start off too well. Managed luckily the 20 slot back pack, a RAK, a P1, a Makarov, but no ammo, no food, no drink. Managed to get infected early on, eventually died from wounds all in about 90 minutes. I'm gonna get back in now, had to make myself real food for lunch. I thought I would have been pissed dying like that, not having useful stuff like before, but I still had a blast.

I love the survival aspect, even ran into a guy and he had blood gushing out of him, and he had a spiked bat, however I was holding an almighty frying pan, we said hi to each other and he left. I tried to offer to stitch him up, guess he didn't see.

Okay, except for being damp because I accidentally ran into a lake (which ruined some 357s I had on me) This new spawn has been nice. Got myself some vest, a good coat with lots of inventory, a mountain backpack (wish I had different colour). Been running around with an SMG (only have a clip and a half left), a Magnum with a good chunk of ruined ammo that I'll try to use if needed. A nice shotgun, ammo for that, medical supplies, some weapon attachments (though not for any I'm carrying), some food, nothing to fill with water yet though. Oh and a 1911, but no clips or ammo for it yet.

Still having a blast, though two annoying bugs.

1. Memory Leak or something, after some time, I have to restart because starts to get FPS drops pretty bad.

2. Picking up something and it disappears, or looks like it duped or is invisible. I have to re-log in order for me to see where it is so I can manipulate inventory and use things normally again.

I've been just running around in the southern part, left a military base last time I logged off. I think I'm about to head north and see if I can sneak in and find an MP5 for the attachments I have, or a rifle for the bipod I have. Also a lot of the stuff I've scavenged I have found in clothing laying around and car trunks.

OH! and I'm pretty sure I found someone's stash spot, because I can't imagine there would have been that many glowsticks, guns, and stuff in one little group. I only took one gun, the ammo and a glowstick and left him a lamp with gas.

So it has been awhile since I played but is there base building and crates or something to stash items now?

Picked up a public hive server and trying to build a player base if you would like to try it out.

Son's of Liberty DayZ Phx US West

198.46.138.114:2302

Email: SoL.Gaming@outlook.com

Discord: https://discord.gg/FrxEQkY

Steam Group: http://steamcommunity.com/groups/SoLPHX#

Xbox Live: Group Sons of Liberty Phx

Not going to get a ton of folks in there until .61 drops on stable. .60 is uber stale right now and I'd like to say a wide range of dedicated players are either on sabbatical or in exp servers.