Sign in to follow this  
General Zod

Clothing mechanics suggestions

Two short suggestions to consider for the clothing system to help with variable weather. 

1. Layers (crude basic version to give you an idea)

We divide clothes into three categories , light, medium, warm. Light is t shirts, shirts, skirts etc. Medium is hoodies, sweaters, tracksuit jackets etc. Warm is wool coat, m65, Hunting jacket etc.

This gives us up to 3 layers (not including vests) that we can wear. In order to avoid achieving unrealistic storage capacity only top layer retains it's storage slots (maybe something small can be carried underneath it, like matches)

System like that allows us to dress appropriately to any all weather condition without discarding our gear and maintaining a lot of empty space in the back pack to store the clothes. It's important given difference in weather between servers, and the fact that in future warm or water proof clothes will hopefully be very valuable. 

2. Storing the clothes in our inventory. 

If I am wearing a m65 field jacket offering 4 x 2 storage and I want to put it away because the server I'm on is sunny and my characters is overheating I should be allowed to move it to my back pack with all it's contents, but when I do that it takes 4 x 2 is if I stored the items in the bag pack, this prevents us from magically increasing our inventory like we used to be able to while allowing us to dress accordingly to current weather. The other option is to allow us to tie the jacket around our waste without the items in it so that we can adjust our clothes for the current weather conditions without having to keep half of our back pack empty like we do now. 

Edited by General Zod
  • Like 1

A long time ago the devs shot down layering and it was never really discussed after that.

They also shot down the idea of venting by opening jackets partially or entirely saying the animations and models would be very time intensive.

Every time I'm cycling in barrier layer and start to overheat what do I do? Simply lower my zipper.... :/

Well than I'd more than happy to hear how do devs plan to tackle various weather conditions between servers. Unless the solution is "Server hop until you find one with weather that you're dressed for". 

As for "time intense" wouldn't have guessed that the devs are actually rushing things. sarcasm

Edited by General Zod
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, General Zod said:

"Server hop until you find one with weather that you're dressed for". 

This does not sound practical for most players.

Seasons should make it so your same clothes will be ideal for many days at a time (temperature wise),

If you have a camp or storage on a server you can swap clothes when it rains or conditions change.

You might do this is an authentic scenario unless you could store rain gear a bit more efficiently as you suggested.

I still think large plastic ponchos should be implemented to add some protection from rain to any clothing set at the penalty of being easy to spot and possibly having a noisy rustling plastic sound.

My understanding is that weather will be set to 'real time' conditions, IE it will be cold during the winter months and hot during summer months.

Can you add a option wear you can blouse your combat pants into combat boots or jungle boots? I know it been buggin the shit outta me and vets i know. Thanks for your consideration!

1 hour ago, IkaikaKekai said:

My understanding is that weather will be set to 'real time' conditions, IE it will be cold during the winter months and hot during summer months.

Spring and autumn have variable temperatures. I mean so do summer and winter but less.

Edited by General Zod

True, I was just using these as an example to say that we're not going to go from heat stroke to blizzard in a couple of hours, or even days.  And it will be transitional as well, so it won't just be -60 from the first day of winter to the first day of spring.

Well I hope they get it working it one way or another, because yesterday I was overheating with my clothes off in a rain while sitting.