Sign in to follow this  
Dr Bolouswki

Character progression in DayZ

Ideas for DayZ to promote character attachment, individuality and potentially reduce KoS mentality. 

I think the game suffers because the "end game" is full military gear, high end weapons and little else.  I want more options for dress styles, play styles etc. and the need to perhaps have different gear sets (wellies for faster uphill movement in the rain?).  While being able to shoot reasonably well is realistic, I do think that practice should be rewarded, and that using heavy weapons should be a bit harder (hence high rate of fire=lower accuracy=slower progression in reducing sway).  I also think using pistols often should be rewarded!  With the suggestions below (and actual upcoming changes like weight, animals, dynamic infected) I think the game drive and character development could really expand.  I'm sure these may have all been mentioned before, but I had fun thinking about it! Hope it fires someone’s imagination!  :)

And remember – when you die, EVERYTHING gets reset!

-  Stamina.  The longer you survive at high health AND engage in running until tired, the greater your stamina gets.  You can run at full speed for longer.

-  Stamina.  When newly spawned/not energized, you cannot run at top speed for so long.  You need to alternate running/walking/resting.

-  Fist fighting.  The longer you survive at high health and engage in winning (1) fist fights (PVE or PVP) the stronger your punch becomes.

- Shooting.  Early game your gun sway is higher.  As you get better at shooting (hit vs. miss ratio) the gun sway diminishes.  Can also apply to multiple types of gun at a weighted level.

- Shooting.  Higher level of proficiency means you reload/chamber faster.

-  Shooting.  Moving targets give a higher weighted proficiency boost.

- Shooting.  Pistol "quickdraw" proficiency while using a holster - skill develops over time.  Based on hit ratio within 5 seconds of weapon draw.  Benefits also from other shooting proficiency gains.

- Hunting.  Killing wild animals gives you a "silent move" benefit.  Depends on hit ratio.  You make less noise when moving through wilderness. (2)

- Hunting.  Killing wild animals gives you a "tracking" benefit - this allows you to "see" indentations (4) in the grass for a time period after someone has walked there. (2)

-  Environment.  Rain makes weapon draw/reloading/movement slower.

-  Environment.  Paved areas make movement quicker.

-  Environment.  Falling.  Surviving falls increases your chances of mitigating damage/death when falling.

-  Clothing.  Footwear choice influences movement speed on different terrains.

-  Clothing.  Rainwear/waterproof gear mitigates rain movement penalty.

-  Clothing. Worn or lower quality gear lowers detection radius for animals/infected (due to "natural" smell/visibility).  Higher benefit for clothing that has been damaged, bled on and then repaired (more "natural").

-  Items.  Saline/Blood transfusion gives medic progression.  Bad transfusions reduce skill.  After sufficient practice, player can self IV (2,3,5)

-  Items.  Bandages (not rags).  Gives medic progression.  Only applies when bandaging other players who are bleeding. (2,3,5)

-  Items.  Blood test kit.  When used on target prior to a successful blood transfusion (5 minute limit) gives medic progression. (2,3,5)

-  Items.  Campfire.  A lit campfire has not only item slots but "player" slots.  These can be utilised by using the sitting animation function.  Helps "co-op" progression. Higher gains for player who makes campfire if using while others are using. (7)

-  Items.  Cooked food.  When someone else eats food that you have cooked you gain co-op progression. (7)

-  Items.  Grown food.  When someone else eats food that you have grown/planted/harvested you gain co-op progression. (7)

-  Interaction.  Range killing a player that has no weapon in their itinerary loses co-op progression. (7)

-  Interaction.  Force feeding poison/burnt food etc. loses co-op progression. (7)

- Interaction.  Eating human flesh loses co-op progression. (7)

-  Interaction.  Reviving a player from unconsciousness gives medic and co-op progression.  Player must survive for 5 minutes after revive for progression to count. (5,7)

(1) Winning means taking less hits than opponent & having less misses than hits

(2)  Time limited benefit - time limit between instances to prevent "farming" of skill.

(3) Also increases "Co-op" skill.

(4)  Similar to the indentations on grass made when rolling on the ground. 

(5) Medic Skill.  Self-bandage faster/quieter.  Self IV.  Make splint/apply in one animation instead of two.  Improves manual resuscitation.

(6) Hunter skill.  Tracking (humans or animals).  Move quieter in woodland.

(7) Co-op skill.  Increases lessen head nod, eye movement.  Decreases heighten head nod, eye movement, and involuntary noises.  These should be subtle but noticeable - allows you to assess a player's "game style" visually - are they friendly or a wild psycho?

• Like 1

Like it.

Also when you die, you should lose all your persistent stuff.

• Like 1

Be aware that the design team doesn't favor soft skills that give bonuses during combat.

• Like 1

I would want soft skills for crafting, as a profession. Nothing more nothing less, and once you die your reset back to 0