DunkinDonuts

Remaking the animations / improvement!

Well to start this off, lets be honest here. The animations, grenade throwing etc, its just mediocore. 

Changing how grenades are thrown could go with animations, being able to underhand throw it while moving to easily clear a building with out trying to bounce it off a wall being vulnerable. A quick side movement while and underhand through a door could be awesome. 

Also running with weapons out is silly. Goes off into a upward not even giving you a chance have an epic moment of doing a combat job with your weapon out supplying covering fire. 

I just hope I shined the light over some of the animations. And if a dev is reading this, I hope you consider this and know how much your work is apprecitated. 

~DunkinDonuts, just trying to make my dream, into a reality. :) Thanks to anyone taking to time reading this! 

They are working on all of this and have been pretty vocal about it for the last year or so.

https://trello.com/c/ini3cYgj/81-injured-poses

https://trello.com/c/q2z8kG6X/77-new-gestures-wip

Those are some examples from the DayZ Trello board.

Also, here's a link to Viktor Kostik's Twitter page. https://twitter.com/24victorkane He's the animation guy at BI. If you scroll through the page, you will find a ton of previewed DayZ animations that are new and WIP.

All that said, it's asinine how much digging you have to do to stay up to date on DayZ dev information.

• Like 2

I also think they look 'slow'. I mean when you look how BF1's are looking, I think those look smooth and frantic, which I would love to see in DayZ too.

Hopefully the improved animation system allows for a higher animation FPS. I hope the animators will not only aim to get 'clean' looking animations, but also manage to make them look frantic to match the mood of a life threatening situation.

2 minutes ago, Troll_Hunter said:

I also think they look 'slow'. I mean when you look how BF1's are looking, I think those look smooth and frantic, which I would love to see in DayZ too.

Hopefully the improved animation system allows for a higher animation FPS. I hope the animators will not only aim to get 'clean' looking animations, but also manage to make them look frantic to match the mood of a life threatening situation.

Use the "in combat" system from DayZ Mod (when you used a weapon or someone around used a weapon) and make the animations change. Reloading a gun for example: when not in combat, loading the weapon is very relaxed and not rushed. When in combat, quick, tactical reloads are used instead

• Like 1

I don't know if doing both frantic and relaxed manipulations is economic. But I do know the current ones look like the neat relaxed ones to me.

I don't know if the capturing system allows, but have your animators perform the gun handling under time pressure, trying to be very fast under high pressure  of a running timer.

Alternatively the animators can maybe simply enlarge/scale up the movements, and make them move faster? This may be an economic way to make them feel more frantic?

Also having the action a bit more closer to the face (camera) will help to increase the apparent movements. I hope Dayz can get close to the amazing and frantic BF1 animation quality levels.

Edited by Troll_Hunter