Capo393

What is stopping the devs from upping the difficulty?

9 hours ago, Tigermonk said:

'2 double-handfuls' <- MURICA MUCH?

most people from a civilized country call that 4 hands of berries.. you're NOT talking about burgers mate.. you really aren't..

greetings from civilization 

fc2a4d332e.jpg

On 19/07/2016 at 5:41 AM, Tigermonk said:

because most people, once they get cholera.. they die because they can't refill their hydration bar quick enough.. (thats about 90% of all players in the game)
our server doc. once saved someone from cholera... about 2.5 people worth of blood, 4 bags of saline and 4 full canteens.. (plus an additional 2-3 hours of real time)
mind you this was ONE person... 1... he survived.. we up until this day.. even the doc says he was a 'lucky bastard' 

What is this, the bloody Sahara? I have literally never died from cholera and I've had it a few times in-game. It just means I put away my AK, take out my SVD, and stop sprinting around so much. Maybe spend a half-hour lazily looting residential spawns for sewing kits and other knick-knacks to hand out to the kids. I've had firefights while fighting of cholera, and it wasn't a big deal. Last time I caught it, I was drinking from a pond at very low health to recover from a firefight - half an hour of jogging around and drinking from wells and ponds, and we're good.

On 19/07/2016 at 3:28 PM, Whyherro123 said:

Drinking from "natural" water sources (ponds, streams, etc) should give you some sort of disease, hands down. Not "oh, maybe if you are low on health......." wimpy-washy shit. 

There are a variety of natural water sources that are safer than 'infects you with a pathogen that has a 50% chance of killing you if you don't have antibiotics.' I doubt we'd have survived so long as a species otherwise. =/

15 hours ago, Tigermonk said:

'2 double-handfuls' <- MURICA MUCH?

most people from a civilized country call that 4 hands of berries.. you're NOT talking about burgers mate.. you really aren't..

greetings from civilization 

3 hours ago, Funkmaster Rick said:

There are a variety of natural water sources that are safer than 'infects you with a pathogen that has a 50% chance of killing you if you don't have antibiotics.' I doubt we'd have survived so long as a species otherwise. =/

Actually, human beings drinking straight water regularly happened only extremely recently within our developmental history, like after the 1700s. Before then, even way back into the Paleolithic, people would regularly drink booze or tea instead of just water. Both drinks make use of boiled water, which is safe to drink. Anthropologists actually believe that the Neolithic in general, and the development of agriculture in particular, wasn't undertaken in order to supply more food per se  but to ensure an adequate supply of grain for beer-making. One of the earliest examples of human writing is a recipe for beer.

This is actually tied into regional/continental differences between humans. The reason why many people of Asian decent are Lactose Intolerant? Their ancestors didn't drink animal milk back in the Neolithic, when animal husbandry  came about. The reason Asiatic people have lower tolerances to alcohol in general, while European/African-descended people tend to have higher levels of tolerance? Asiatic peoples tended to heat water for tea, while European/African peoples boiled water for beer.

Not saying that people didn't drink water before the development of the germ theory, but they usually made it into something else specifically to avoid getting sick. Read up the study reports of the examination of ancient bodies: many people had some form of parasite, either water or animal/food-borne. Otzi was a good example

Even today, I prefer to make tea/tisanes in the woods, as opposed to drinking the water by itself, and I know the water is "clean".  Heating water in the woods can be trivial so long as you have some form of container, and making a container can be pretty simple. Taking the soft tips of White Pine needles adds a refreshing taste and a big helping of Vitamin C to my day, roasted-dandelion root tea can aid an upset stomach, while cranberry, bearberry or blueberry tea just tastes good. The boiling I give the water beforehand is just an added bonus.

Edited by Whyherro123

You've got a good point - I'd forgotten about the prevalence of ale back when miasma theory was all the rage.

Basic human needs are too easy at the moment.

have never got sick from drink pond water.

think I once died of hunger.

that said I play to survive not to pvp I play other games when I want to KILL KILL KILL