Sign in to follow this  
FrostDMG

Crazy idea.. what would happen

Of course I'm not saying 90% of the player base agrees with me! That's why I made this thread to figure out who thinks along the same lines. I am fully aware that some people can't live without sniping while others simply aren't interested in it.

Then why worry about it? There are no real positive aspect to removing them. They're pretty hard to get in the first place' date=' and if you remove them, people are just going to replace them with different weapons. Sniper rifles have their niche, just like the M4s and AKs have theirs, and all the other weapons theirs. I mean, I have an issue encountering people in groups, so should I push for the removal of grouped gameplay because I almost always losing those firefights?

I would also confidently say, without a doubt, that most people playing intelligently, not fucking around, would never engage people past 300, maybe even 400, meters, it's just not worth it. You risk attracting unwanted attention in the first place, and if you don't have a weapon that can be zeroed, you're not doing anything but taking shots and hoping they land in the right place.

[/quote']

My problem is that the sniper rifle is so vastly superior to the good old M4 or AK in most situations - apart from CQB/large horde pack.

Without the range advantage of the sniper, people would have to try to sneak up on each other - for example follow their target from town to town... I duno it would maybe add an aspect to the game that doesn't exit right now

Would be nice to try it once as this might make standoffs more possible between groups as normally if you're close enough to chat you're close enough for a guaranteed sniper headshot.

I do feel the difficulty in sniping becomes exponential when using assault rifles at distances greater than 300m. But IDK, maybe you can even snipe a guy from several hundred meters away with just the iron sights of a pistol. Cuz' U'z g07 t3h 1337 sk1l1z!!111oneone

So you want to remove people being paranoid about being able to be shot anywhere they go, and only having to worry when they visually see another survivor within 300m?

No thanks, this idea destroys the immersion in the game.

Bandits aren't the only ones who use sniper rifles. Many a time I have covered friends entering into Starry/NWAF/NEAF from afar making sure nothing happens to them. If you properly survey and scout an area, you shouldn't have to worry about snipers anyway.

My problem is that the sniper rifle is so vastly superior to the good old M4 or AK in most situations - apart from CQB/large horde pack.

Without the range advantage of the sniper' date=' people would have to try to sneak up on each other - for example follow their target from town to town... I duno it would maybe add an aspect to the game that doesn't exit right now

[/quote']

Well, take it from their point of view; they have to take into account the distance you're at, and they also have to take into account if you're moving and compensate for that. It's a difficulty all in its own, just like sneaking up on someone or following them for a long period of time. If you manage to spot them before they kill you, just flank them and when you get up close, spray them with fully automatic fire, they only get one shot per trigger pull, and all you have to do is hold the mouse button down.

Would be nice to try it once as this might make standoffs more possible between groups as normally if you're close enough to chat you're close enough for a guaranteed sniper headshot.

I do feel the difficulty in sniping becomes exponential when using assault rifles at distances greater than 300m. But IDK' date=' maybe you can even snipe a guy from several hundred meters away with just the iron sights of a pistol. Cuz' U'z g07 t3h 1337 sk1l1z!!111oneone

[/quote']

You would need an accuracy of a rifle to pull that off.

Not all rifles have scopes, and yes you could snipe someone several hundred meters away with them.

You would need to use binoculars to help you do so. A spotter would help.

Sniper rifles can be used for more than shooting survivor's brains out.

Surveying and recon can benefit a group.

And for a bandit group' date=' it helps to have a guy watching the hills for lone survivors.

[/quote']

A nice definition of binoculars.

Don't need to have a barrel when scoping in order to do recon.

No..but like i said above, changing between the nocs and gun could be your demise. If i have my M41 which is only about 10% of game time, possibly less, i will use it over my nocs to sus out a situation.

Another thing which i forgot to mention is that probably the best way to counter a sniper is to snipe, so basically sniping is encouraged - not saying its a bad thing on its own, just putting it out there

My personal view:

Either remove the 1 body shot kill snipers (I was hit by a sniper not in the head and I lost 11200 blood got broken bones bleeding and was knocked out, dead within seconds) or just reduce the damage across all the snipers to at least 2 shots to kill unless its a headshot (around 6000 blood per hit on the body and around 3000-4000 for limbs) apart from the 50 cal sniper that would definitely rip a massive hole in your body killing you instantly unless it hit one of your limbs then you would probably lose the limb.

Sniper rifles can be used for more than shooting survivor's brains out.

Surveying and recon can benefit a group.

And for a bandit group' date=' it helps to have a guy watching the hills for lone survivors.

[/quote']

A nice definition of binoculars.

Don't need to have a barrel when scoping in order to do recon.

No..but like i said above, changing between the nocs and gun could be your demise. If i have my M41 which is only about 10% of game time, possibly less, i will use it over my nocs to sus out a situation.

You could have a buddy to be the spotter and you could be the shooter. There you go, a sniper rifle split into two.

Doing it solo would take more time, but an easy fix to that could be just speed up the animation between switching from binocs to your weapon.

It would motivate "effective" snipers to have a spotter, and "solo" snipers to be slower when setting up their shot.

For you realism lovers, this is exactly how it is, you don't get lone snipers out in the field, always with a spotter.

During an apocolypse this would cause different situations of course, therefore, a lone sniper would take more time when setting up his shot compared to one who's using teamwork.

This promotes a co-op experience (to be an effective sniper) as well as making lonewolf sniper camping more difficult / skill -based.

If you are going to take a single shot from miles away that would result in a death of a player who spent maybe days obtaining what he has, it should damn right take high skill levels to pull it off.

I AGREE whole-heartedly with the OP.

Something to consider here... this is a survival game based on CIVILIANS scavenging for the basics of life. I think the spirt of the game implies that. Just regular joe's that are thrust into an emergency situation. No where does this game lead you to believe that you and ur buddy on TS are ex-Navy SEALS and go to town sniping noobs all over a city. Let's face it regular and "common" weapons (pistols, shotguns, civilian rifles etc) are FAR more common than elite sniper military grade weapons. They just wouldn't be as prevalent as they are in the game.

I would love to see military rifles severly limited in the game. How about tons of pistols, few civilian type rifles/shotguns (yes "some" of those would be scoped) and just a FEW military grade weapons.

Why can I run out into the country side in some second world country, find a deer stand (civilian hunting place/built by civilians) and pick up a specialized military sniper/assault rifle?? WTF? Doesn't make sense.

Of course I'm not saying 90% of the player base agrees with me! That's why I made this thread to figure out who thinks along the same lines. I am fully aware that some people can't live without sniping while others simply aren't interested in it.

Then why worry about it? There is no real positive aspect to removing them. They're pretty hard to get in the first place' date=' and if you remove them, people are just going to replace them with different weapons. Sniper rifles have their niche, just like the M4s and AKs have theirs, and all the other weapons theirs.

I would also confidently say, without a doubt, that most people playing intelligently, not fucking around, would never engage people past 300, maybe even 400, meters, it's just not worth it. You risk attracting unwanted attention in the first place, and if you don't have a weapon that can be zeroed, you're not doing anything but taking shots and hoping they land in the right place.

[/quote']

Scopes in general would be nice if they were removed. Would require more skill to kill someone.

Since it takes only 1-2 hits in order to die, the combat should be more skill based.

I AGREE whole-heartedly with the OP.

Something to consider here... this is a survival game based on CIVILIANS scavenging for the basics of life. I think the spirt of the game implies that. Just regular joe's that are thrust into an emergency situation. No where does this game lead you to believe that you and ur buddy on TS are ex-Navy SEALS and go to town sniping noobs all over a city. Let's face it regular and "common" weapons (pistols' date=' shotguns, civilian rifles etc) are FAR more common than elite sniper military grade weapons. They just wouldn't be as prevalent as they are in the game.

I would love to see military rifles severly limited in the game. How about tons of pistols, few civilian type rifles/shotguns (yes "some" of those would be scoped) and just a FEW military grade weapons.

Why can I run out into the country side in some second world country, find a deer stand (civilian hunting place/built by civilians) and pick up a specialized military sniper/assault rifle?? WTF? Doesn't make sense.

[/quote']

I know what you're saying but unfortunately I think the hunting rifle (CZ550) would be quite common, since seeing how Chernarus is a wide open country - with plenty of deer stands for deer hunting, those sort of scoped rifles would be common.

Why would any rifles be left in deer stands anyway, should be in homes. I know this is the apocalypse ( and a game) but the last thing im gona do is leave my rifle in a deer stand. Maybe if the guy was dead up there and had it on him but other than that kinda unbeleivable that a hunting rifle in good condition would be found in deer stands.

I still think this idea has incredible merit and I congratualate the OP.

Take out military grade weapons with IR scopes. Take out .50 anti-material weapons. Take out 203 launchers. I'm not saying you would never see one of these expensive, highly specialized rare weapons ever again... but there's no way they should be this common on this map.

I know the CZ550 is a scoped civilian rifle and should be common. But not ALL civilian hunting rifles are scoped. How about taking the scope off of 3/4 of found CZ's?

We can argue/discuss the symantics of this all day. But the MAIN POINT is that we are civilian survivors, in a civilian world, looking for civilian gear/supplies. Finding a military grade weapon should be a RARE PRIZE TO BE CHERISHED! Currently I pass up AK's and M4's left and right cause I prefer the hatchet... lol WTF

Just try it. Try it for one update. lol watch the forums erupt then! lol