Sign in to follow this  
FrostDMG

Crazy idea.. what would happen

Ok so just hear me out before you rage - what would happen if sniper rifles would be removed from the mod?

I mean lets think about it...

Would it really be that game breaking? I think it would fix a lot of annoying issues with the game.

So yeah... Crazy idea i know...

Sniper rifles can be used for more than shooting survivor's brains out.

Surveying and recon can benefit a group.

And for a bandit group, it helps to have a guy watching the hills for lone survivors.

And for a bandit group' date=' it helps to have a guy watching the hills for lone survivors.

[/quote']

Isn't that what binocs and rangefinder are for?

Certainly would make banditry a whole lot more difficult, not a terrible idea... As for scouting out places, that's what binoculars are for. Plus, combat would be mainly mid to close range and would be a lot more intimate, either accelerating murders or causing people to hesitate before shooting (at close range its difficult to avoid being shot)

And for a bandit group' date=' it helps to have a guy watching the hills for lone survivors.

[/quote']

exactly... any nobody that i have seen has used the sniper on zombies yet... there simply isn't any point, its a pure PVP weapon designed just to irritate your tits off. I know there needs to be PVP in the game otherwise it would be boring, but wouldn't it be more interesting and exciting if you at least know that you can't get sniped off the roof of the hospital from 2 km away by some "l33t sniparrZZXXxxx" who doesn't even loot the bodies he just shoots to grief

[/quote']

Bincos and ragefinders especially are pretty rare.

A sniper rifle isn't as rare as binocs, but still. It's better than nothing.

Certainly would make banditry a whole lot more difficult' date=' not a terrible idea... As for scouting out places, that's what binoculars are for. Plus, combat would be mainly mid to close range and would be a lot more intimate, either accelerating murders or causing people to hesitate before shooting (at close range its difficult to avoid being shot)

[/quote']

exactly! I'm glad you understand! I know this is an unlikely event but you might even be able to call out you're friendly and maybe team up/avoid death, where as with long range combat that isn't possible - and let's face it 90% (made up stat but yea) of PVP in DayZ is not necessary - e.g. killing noobs in cherno/electro...

[/quote']

Bincos and ragefinders especially are pretty rare.

A sniper rifle isn't as rare as binocs, but still. It's better than nothing.

My friend, binos aren't rare at all! I have yet to find a CZ550, I find 1-3 binos in almost every supermarket I enter. Not even joking they are in plentiful supply. Granted the rangefinder is rare indeed, and the sniper provides a larger zoom, but then again it provides lesser magnification

Any rifle in the hands of a sniper is a sniper rifle. So are you wanting all rifles out of the game?

Umm no. Would an M4 which is a backup guy used by a sniper be called a sniper rifle? NO. You know perfectly well what I'm referring to, why can't you just give an opinion about this instead of trying to change the subject

Instead of taking out sniper rifles how about removing the devbug window so there is no more kill counters? This is about survival and not headshots after all.

Need a confirmed kill? Go loot the corpse! That way folks playing bandits don't get a bad rap =)

Lets just remove assault rifles and machine guns, that automatic fire is unnecessary when I can pretty effectively use my Makarov at close ranges, easily headshotting zeds. Hell, lets just remove all rifles and shot guns, who needs 'em?

I like this idea of snipers being nerfed/removed. It would be interesting to try it at least once before dayZ goes beta.

Lets just remove assault rifles and machine guns' date=' that automatic fire is unnecessary when I can pretty effectively use my Makarov at close ranges, easily headshotting zeds. Hell, lets just remove all rifles and shot guns, who needs 'em?

[/quote']

Really? You sound like you're just pissed off that I have attacked the style of play you are most fond of. I understand not everyone may want to "risk it for the biscuit" but honestly, snipers - as realistic as they are, and I must admit the game would not feel the same without them - are causing a lot of unnecessary grief

Lets just remove assault rifles and machine guns' date=' that automatic fire is unnecessary when I can pretty effectively use my Makarov at close ranges, easily headshotting zeds. Hell, lets just remove all rifles and shot guns, who needs 'em?

[/quote']

Really? You sound like you're just pissed off that I have attacked the style of play you are most fond of. I understand not everyone may want to "risk it for the biscuit" but honestly, snipers - as realistic as they are, and I must admit the game would not feel the same without them - are causing a lot of unnecessary grief

Who are you to determine what is necessary or unnecessary grief? Rifles with long range scopes are not going away, nor would most players want them to. It is likely that damage on weapons will be tweaked, but the biggest issue I have is not snipers firing at me, but snipers disconnecting when I fire back. That right there is the definition of grief.

getting sniped does suck, but it's also part of the realistic allure of the game.

i mean, just last night, i logged in for the first time in a few days because i had some RL stuff to do over the weekend. i had an m4 with the red dot scope and flashlight, g17, TONS of ammo, food, medical supplies and an almost complete kit, just missing a rangefinder and nvgs.

i run for a while through the woods to the north east airfield and hang out in the treeline, checking out the whole scene with my binoculars. Treelines are clear, tower is clear, every sniper spot i know of is clear. i hang out for 5-10 minutes just watching for movement anywhere on or near the airfield. after i am certain, that nobody is there, i start moving in from the north, working to minimize threat vectors. i make it to the actual strip and take a look around again; no one in sight.

i get up into a crouch and start making my way to the hangars, now very much in full view of anyone looking. painfully aware of this and while distracted by that danger, i don't notice a zombie that was inside the hangar. he aggros on me and i reverse direction to kite him and take a shot, killing him instantly. i immediately go prone, knowing that if anyone was around and not paying attention before, they were now...

i was right.

i hear a round land right next to me and roll in the opposite direction. a couple of more rounds land but they are landing all around me, there is nowhere to go to dodge or hide, i'm too exposed. i can't hear the shots, so i can't even tell where to look to fire back. the fifth shot hits me and instantly, i'm dead. 12,000 blood to dead in a single shot.

he wasn't good, but he was smart.

it's an element you face in this game, just as you would in a real scenario like this.

i would much sooner see survivors start armed again than see sniper rifles removed. there is an undeniable element of realism to scoped rifles being in the game; many hunters have them. it is much less reasonable that somebody would survive this far into the zombie apocalypse unarmed, and even so the starting condition is an arbitrary element to be decided by the storyteller.

EDIT: Grammar

Really? You sound like you're just pissed off that I have attacked the style of play you are most fond of. I understand not everyone may want to "risk it for the biscuit" but honestly' date=' snipers - as realistic as they are, and I must admit the game would not feel the same without them - are causing a lot of unnecessary grief

[/quote']

I've never used them, that's not my playing style. Even when I do want to use them, I always stow the M24 I find in my back pack, and I die before I get to use them. I've also never had an issue with other players using them; it's an element of the game, and just because you don't like them, doesn't mean 90% of the player base agrees with you.

getting sniped does suck' date=' but it's also part of the realistic allure of the game.

i mean, just last night, i logged in for the first time in a few days because i had some RL stuff to do over the weekend. i had an m4 with the red dot scope and flashlight, g17, TONS of ammo, food, medical supplies and an almost complete kit, just missing a rangefinder and nvgs.

i run for a while through the woods to the north east airfield and hang out in the treeline, checking out the whole scene with my binoculars. Treelines are clear, tower is clear, every sniper spot i know of is clear. i hang out for 5-10 minutes just watching for movement anywhere on or near the airfield. after i am certain, that nobody is there, i start moving in from the north, working to minimize threat vectors. i make it to the actual strip and take a look around again; no one in sight.

i get up into a crouch and start making my way to the hangars, now very much in full view of anyone looking. painfully aware of this and while distracted by that danger, i don't notice a zombie that was inside the hangar. he aggros on me and i reverse direction to kite him and take a shot, killing him instantly. i immediately go prone, knowing that if anyone was around and not paying attention before, they were now...

i was right.

i hear a round land right next to me and roll in the opposite direction. a couple of more rounds land but they are landing all around me, there is nowhere to go to dodge or hide, i'm too exposed. i can't hear the shots, so i can't even tell where to look to fire back. the fifth shot hits me and instantly, i'm dead. 12,000 blood to dead in a single shot.

he wasn't good, but he was smart.

it's an element you face in this game, just as you would in a real scenario like this.

i would much sooner see survivors start armed again than see sniper rifles removed. there is an undeniable element of realism to scoped rifles being in the game; many hunters have them. it is much less reasonable that somebody would survive this far into the zombie apocalypse unarmed, and even so the starting condition is an arbitrary element to be decided by the storyteller.

EDIT: Grammar

[/quote']

You have made a fair point, however I'm asking what sort of NEGATIVE impact the removal of sniper rifles would have on the game... As far as I can tell, none

I am generally pretty useless with sniper rifles but i like the M41, i can take out zeds at deer stands and barns from ages away without aggro , similar with the Lee enfield but M41 gives me more range. Plus as mentioned above i use it to scope instead of binocs, 90 % of the time i have binocs but the scope is just as easy plus if you are spotted you do not have to swap from binocs to gun which could mean life or death. As also mentioned above, you can cover a mate who goes in to loot. It is no way just a bandit weapon,

The map is large enough to warrant the use of sniper rifles unlike the ridiculous sniper action in the other tiny map pvp games. Either way it would not bother me too much as i prefer my winchester ..get a Coyote and you can carry two secondary weps plus a pistol..best of both worlds.

I would say it would detract from the game losing the sniper rifles. I bet there is a heap of times everyone has been in someones scope and never even known, hell i have watched people loot and stuff around in cities from the comfort of the forest, warned people they are being stalked and warned others away from me because i have had them under a scope, its a useful tool.

Really? You sound like you're just pissed off that I have attacked the style of play you are most fond of. I understand not everyone may want to "risk it for the biscuit" but honestly' date=' snipers - as realistic as they are, and I must admit the game would not feel the same without them - are causing a lot of unnecessary grief

[/quote']

I've never used them, that's not my playing style. Even when I do want to use them, I always stow the M24 I find in my back pack, and I die before I get to use them. I've also never had an issue with other players using them; it's an element of the game, and just because you don't like them, doesn't mean 90% of the player base agrees with you.

Of course I'm not saying 90% of the player base agrees with me! That's why I made this thread to figure out who thinks along the same lines. I am fully aware that some people can't live without sniping while others simply aren't interested in it.

you lose the whole element of danger in the scenario i presented there.

it's an element that is not present in most other games. sure there are snipers in other games, but the ranges are much different, the maps and shootout scenarios much more predictable.

you lose nearly all the value in having such a vast landscape as the arma 2 engine provides (as far as i can tell, the only GOOD thing about the arma 2 engine) when you limit combat to close and medium ranges.

EDIT: also, don't take this as confrontational, i'm just trying to better emphasize my point.

[/quote']

A nice definition of binoculars.

Don't need to have a barrel when scoping in order to do recon.

I am generally pretty useless with sniper rifles but i like the M41' date=' i can take out zeds at deer stands and barns from ages away without aggro , similar with the Lee enfield but M41 gives me more range. Plus as mentioned above i use it to scope instead of binocs, 90 % of the time i have binocs but the scope is just as easy plus if you are spotted you do not have to swap from binocs to gun which could mean life or death. As also mentioned above, you can cover a mate who goes in to loot. It is no way just a bandit weapon,

The map is large enough to warrant the use of sniper rifles unlike the ridiculous sniper action in the other tiny map pvp games. Either way it would not bother me too much as i prefer my winchester ..get a Coyote and you can carry two secondary weps plus a pistol..best of both worlds.

I would say it would detract from the game losing the sniper rifles. I bet there is a heap of times everyone has been in someones scope and never even known, hell i have watched people loot and stuff around in cities from the comfort of the forest, warned people they are being stalked and warned others away from me because i have had them under a scope, its a useful tool.

[/quote']

I agree how a sniper is a good way to cover your buddy when he's looting - me and my friend have done this countless times, however, the only thing he has to protect me from would be other players, since I am usually extra careful not to aggro Zeds in a high traffic area. As for taking out zombies at range, to be honest I think it costs you more to kill the zombie than to leave it alive - you're making a ton on noise + wasting valuable bullets (depending which sniper you're using)

you lose the whole element of danger in the scenario i presented there.

it's an element that is not present in most other games. sure there are snipers in other games' date=' but the ranges are much different, the maps and shootout scenarios much more predictable.

you lose nearly all the value in having such a vast landscape as the arma 2 engine provides (as far as i can tell, the only GOOD thing about the arma 2 engine) when you limit combat to close and medium ranges.

EDIT: also, don't take this as confrontational, i'm just trying to better emphasize my point.

[/quote']

I actually agree on the point you made about danger... Whenever running across a field you're always frantically scanning the next treeline for any movement... It is indeed unique to the game and I do like it, but at the same time I am pretty sure that removal of snipers would actually force people to work together more - for example, you cannot just solo snipe Electro without any support

EDIT: I mean't you wouldn't be able to lock down an area on your own without sniper rifles

I am generally pretty useless with sniper rifles but i like the M41' date=' i can take out zeds at deer stands and barns from ages away without aggro , similar with the Lee enfield but M41 gives me more range. Plus as mentioned above i use it to scope instead of binocs, 90 % of the time i have binocs but the scope is just as easy plus if you are spotted you do not have to swap from binocs to gun which could mean life or death. As also mentioned above, you can cover a mate who goes in to loot. It is no way just a bandit weapon,

[/quote']

I agree how a sniper is a good way to cover your buddy when he's looting - me and my friend have done this countless times, however, the only thing he has to protect me from would be other players, since I am usually extra careful not to aggro Zeds in a high traffic area. As for taking out zombies at range, to be honest I think it costs you more to kill the zombie than to leave it alive - you're making a ton on noise + wasting valuable bullets (depending which sniper you're using)

You could cover your friend with iron sights, just not extremely far away.

There are very accurate weapons in this game that use iron sights. Provided with enough practice / skill, you can easily "snipe" someone from a distance with a weapon that lacks a scope

Of course I'm not saying 90% of the player base agrees with me! That's why I made this thread to figure out who thinks along the same lines. I am fully aware that some people can't live without sniping while others simply aren't interested in it.

Then why worry about it? There are no real positive aspect to removing them. They're pretty hard to get in the first place, and if you remove them, people are just going to replace them with different weapons. Sniper rifles have their niche, just like the M4s and AKs have theirs, and all the other weapons theirs. I mean, I have trouble encountering people in groups, so should I push for the removal of grouped gameplay because I am almost always losing those firefights?

I would also confidently say, without a doubt, that most people playing intelligently, not fucking around, would never engage people past 300, maybe even 400, meters, it's just not worth it. You risk attracting unwanted attention in the first place, and if you don't have a weapon that can be zeroed, you're not doing anything but taking shots and hoping they land in the right place.

Then why worry about it? There is no real positive aspect to removing them. They're pretty hard to get in the first place' date=' and if you remove them, people are just going to replace them with different weapons. Sniper rifles have their niche, just like the M4s and AKs have theirs, and all the other weapons theirs.

I would also confidently say, without a doubt, that most people playing intelligently, not fucking around, would never engage people past 300, maybe even 400, meters, it's just not worth it. You risk attracting unwanted attention in the first place, and if you don't have a weapon that can be zeroed, you're not doing anything but taking shots and hoping they land in the right place.

[/quote']

Scopes in general would be nice if they were removed. Would require more skill to kill someone.

Since it takes only 1-2 hits in order to die, the combat should be more skill based.