thefriendlydutchman

Ducks and arma sound system

so ducks are coming soon, it would be awesome if they would spawn in big groups in lakes and when a player approaches the ducks fly away quaking, and the sound goes a kilometer far, so people could hear ducks in the distance, look around and see a flock of ducks fly away.. theres a player!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Echo4890 said:

One KM far? Ducks arent that loud

that depends... if temperature becomes a thing.. then maybe in future patches wind will become a thing.. and since you don't have car noises and other stuff running in chernarus.. you'd be surprised how far sound travels..
again this guy isn't talking about 1 duck trying to get laid.. he's talking about a flock of them.. 10-20 of those things.. if that takes off (so into the air) and that becomes vocal.. be damn sure you could hear those things in the town nextdoor.. 

most ponds in dayz are... 500-1000 meters apart? so there's a chance that it'll become a thing once wind is introduced..

• Like 2

I can no longer rely on the infected to serve as lookouts because they're nearly blind as a bat nowadays.  Maybe they should fix that instead.  Relying on ducks to hint at where other players are seems inauthentic and unlikely.  Remember back in .29 when you could scope a zed at 800m and they would notice you and come running?  Need moar of that.

3 hours ago, Parazight said:

I can no longer rely on the infected to serve as lookouts because they're nearly blind as a bat nowadays.  Maybe they should fix that instead.  Relying on ducks to hint at where other players are seems inauthentic and unlikely.  Remember back in .29 when you could scope a zed at 800m and they would notice you and come running?  Need moar of that.

An infected spotting you from 800m?

Yes, spotting a fire or a flashlight in the dark. But during the day most normal people will not notice people walking 200-100m away, unless they really contrast with the back ground and they happen to look up and not be distracted by something close by.

What I think you want is a dangerous environment where being careful about stealth is necessary. I think this can be attained in a more realistic way by improved hearing, or better, more realistic sound travel distances. So if a Z hears you stepping on a branch in a quiet (no wind - wind mechanics please! ) forest, he'll turn around and focus narrowly scanning the direction of where the sound came from, while walking quietly toward the sound. With this alerted state Z can see for say 400m(depending on light and weather), scanning with a narrow beam 45 degrees toward the sound, while keenly listening for more sounds. As the Z initially gets alerted he makes a sound, alerting all other nearby Z's to focus on him, and flock to him. So one sound can trigger a chain-reaction of Z's to turn, flock and walk towards you investigating. A second sound would make them jog towards the sound, and a third, sprint. This obviously needs a cool down period, so after x seconds the Z's alert status goes back to default, upon which they would turn around and go back to the village, to continue doing their normal behaviour. I think they are in need of having a sensible for infected behaviour pattern, just standing is so boring.

With sound causing a chain reaction mechanic things can really escalate. A player may alert a bird, the bird will cry loudly, the Z hears it and alerts nearby z' s, and walk towards the woods where you're in. Another scenario would be a pack of wolves that have followed a players' smell and catches up with him just as he's about to enter a Z populated town. A bow would be able to shoot an arrow against a ringing metal surface, or break a window, attracting the z' s. away from the player, and (very fun) towards other players.

Sound is really important in Dayz. I wish the wind to play a much more important role. More wind would mean more leave sounds, more wind in the streets sounds, crashing waves. These sounds would mask the subtle sounds Z's and players and animals would otherwise easily hear on quiet days. Wind should also affect tree sway, grass sway, bullet travel, dust, rain, ocean, smoke, sounds travel distance, energy consumption, flight.

Edited by Troll_Hunter

On ‎6‎/‎30‎/‎2016 at 0:35 PM, Troll_Hunter said:

What I think you want is... ...

No, that's not what I want at all.  I want infected to be badass ruthless undead killers. Unfortunately, they still lose against human players.  And the moment you group up with another player, zeds have a pretty significant disadvantage. 

I just thought it was funny, back in the day, when infected would spot you when you scoped them at very long distances.