Sign in to follow this  
stalkarn

Fixes and friendliness

Let's start with the camp fires. They are lit the same amount of time it takes to grill a chicken on a stick. The burn time for camp fires needs to be longer. The ironic thing in this game is the nag about realism and a fire place is out in a few minutes while other things is "realistic". Be consistent.

Second thing, one if the thing the bothers me most in dayz is the reaction to key commands. I want to jump over an obstacle and press "v" and half a second later he starts the dull jump animation. Feels very B. Maybe that is something you will fix in the future I don't know so I don't blame you. But in that case, don't forget it. Have you ever read a course in user friendliness or human machine interface/interaction. Small anoying factors can add up to over all bad experiance. 

Another thing about HUD is that sometimes when I want to jump or change weapon or object the nothing happens the first time I press a key, and sometime not after second press. I have to spam keys to make something happen. This is awfull. (Sorry for hard words but seriously it has been three years). An idea to increase the feedback to the player would be to highlight the assignable hotkeys when pressed. So for example if I press "1" the square on the screen is highlighted briefly, just to know that you actually did something. 

Why on earth do we have to reaload every shot with a rifle? It is supposed to be realistic, how realistic is a canopener getting ruined after a few uses (or is it because of russian quality?). Is realism defined by how many steps we have to take and how many buttons we have to press before we get the job done in a game? It is just one thing that adds a factor for bad user friendliness. In reality we have more senses, we can feel the gun and there is no animation cooldown. Now we shoot and the spam reload to make it reload when the game alows it to. Do I want to focus on reloading the gun or playing the game? That action is just a distraction and irritation from enjoying the actial game. It does not give you a +1 for realism. Shuold we get to control each of the characters leg also?

Finaly, get rid of that scroll down menu! It is a very good example of terrible user-friendliness. Yes that word is coming back. In real life when you want to enter a vehicle you reach out for the door, open it and take a seat in a car. In Dayz you have to aim on the right spot like a drunk formula one dirver to get the menu and then scroll down to the correct item, may be miss it and scroll back up and finaly... open the door. Then the same procedure is done to enter the car. Have a hotkey, e.g. "F" to just enter the vehicle or enter a passanger seat. Fiddling with the chair in the offroad is frustrating. If you have a hotkey for "enter vehicle" and still want all those steps then have just that one hotkey and the first time you press you open the door, next time you pull back seat and last time you take a seat. KISS! Keep it simple... 

Oh and one more thing. Aiming at a ladder or gate to use. Do I have to say more? Make the area for geting the option to use it bigger. I feel like a drunk drug addict when I try to find the right spot to close a gate. It shuld not be surgery precision to climb a ladder. 

• Like 1

Fires last longer depending on how much firewood you put in them. Put in a couple of sticks? The fire will burn out in a couple of minutes. Throw in several logs? The fire will last much longer.

If you have to reload after every shot with a firearm, that means the firearm is a single-shot firearm. You do realize that you have to press R to work the pump or the bolt of a firearm now, right?

The can opener is made from shitty cast-iron. You do realize that you have to sharpen can openers in real life, right? Or, failing that, replace blades every so often?

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Whyherro123 said:

Fires last longer depending on how much firewood you put in them. Put in a couple of sticks? The fire will burn out in a couple of minutes. Throw in several logs? The fire will last much longer.

If you have to reload after every shot with a firearm, that means the firearm is a single-shot firearm. You do realize that you have to press R to work the pump or the bolt of a firearm now, right?

The can opener is made from shitty cast-iron. You do realize that you have to sharpen can openers in real life, right? Or, failing that, replace blades every so often?

Yes I have tried to put in several but still only have time to grill one chicken.

I know that I have to

Yes but not that frequent. Personaly I never had to charpen one.

The new player controller will fix almost all these problems, stay tuned for the next couple updates, should come soon enough. As for the UI, it's not really designed to be super user friendly, and probably won't be. But, the UI is work in progress at the moment, and most likely will change a lot.

19 minutes ago, stalkarn said:

Yes I have tried to put in several but still only have time to grill one chicken.

I know that I have to

Yes but not that frequent. Personaly I never had to charpen one.

You are probably putting the firewood in wrong. Don't throw it directly into the fire. You have to combine it with the initial fuel. Throwing it directly into the fire destroys it. 

Firearms: then what are you complaining about?

Can opener: you probably should. I sharpen my can opener almost every other time I use it. It makes opening cans take much less time and effort.

Stalkarn,

I believe many of the controlling issues are to be resolved by the new 'controller' and animation system, that allows for mixing many animations. This means that the game/player has no longer to wait for starting a new action while others are being executed.

I've given you a like because I too see a schism between realism, and the unrealistic. Personally I think the contrast in this is often too much. Allowing players to construct big and complex structures in a mere few seconds is part of this, let alone carry all that building material! I suggest that crafting should be shown and animated and it should be limited to simple things that can be done in less then say 5 minutes in real life. Adding a battery, opening a can, eating, adding a wheel, spraying a gun, sewing a pair of pants, cleaning a gun, assembling a gun, taking off and searching(opening) your backpack, operating a hand water pump, setting up a tent, making a torch, piling up sticks and lighting a fire, gathering skicks, picking apples, butchering, setting up a trap, pushing/pulling doors, pushing furniture. What tasks should not be in the game? Using saline* (would take too long and players could not run a fight with an IV), building entire walls and houses, chopping trees. Ok, maybe one could chop a tree, but the diameter of the trunk would make chopping down a big pine tree take at least 5 minutes work. (In real life it would be at least 45 min+ with skill and a good axe). I envision players chopping trees and sawing lamp posts to make improvised road barriers to block and slow down cars, not for fire or building a house. To board up an existing house one would use a crowbar to take individual planks of nearby fences, and use nails and a hammer to nail them individually to doors and windows. Enemy players could disassemble and break them to gain entry.

I think the durability of the items needs to be tuned, and I expect them to be tuned. For now the devs will play with variables, to test their systems and us. I think it must be great fun to experiment with an audience, especially if they give interesting and unexpected feedback.

Though extensive house crafting in minecraft and other games is fun, it does not fit the gritty atmospheric realism focused dayz world. Dayz is play mobil, not lego.

Edited by Troll_Hunter

If they were going for realism then why did they add zombies??

On 28-6-2016 at 3:11 PM, Parazight said:

If they were going for realism then why did they add zombies??

I could reply "they are not zombies, they are 'infected'." But this would be a bit lame. To many non discerning players, probably most people, they are zombies.

Personally I like to infected to be more like ill, weak, disorientated, starving, dying people who have fallen to a level of extreme apathy and extreme aggression. Gangs, cannibalism etc. all caused by a plague. This would also explain the absence of the young and old.

I think the infected need more work to make them interesting, unique, unpredictable and fitting the level of realism the game aims for in many other parts of the game.

Edited by Troll_Hunter

18 hours ago, Troll_Hunter said:

I think the infected need more work to make them interesting, unique, unpredictable and fitting the level of realism the game aims for in many other parts of the game.

Okay.  The game is not shooting for realism.  The meaning of my last comment went lost on you.  The developers have said before that they're not shooting for realistic.  Authentic.  It's a different word with a similar meaning. 

Regarding the other fluff concerning desync, lag, and other Alpha normalties: meh.

On 2016-06-25 at 1:06 AM, billnyetherussianpie said:

The new player controller will fix almost all these problems, stay tuned for the next couple updates, should come soon enough. As for the UI, it's not really designed to be super user friendly, and probably won't be. But, the UI is work in progress at the moment, and most likely will change a lot.

Wow that is realy good to hear! I'm looking forward to it.

• Like 1

On 2016-06-29 at 2:46 PM, thefriendlydutchman said:

''Because Russian Quality'' that level of ignorance lol, must be post-communism merican

Why so serious. I'm not even close to America. Guess you are from S/SE/Russia europe ;)