Sign in to follow this  
Saylor Twift

Music in DayZ - Short tracks

I've suggested this years ago but I'll suggest it again to see opinions of new people.

The music in Dayz Mod was the biggest contributor to the gloomy and threatening atmosphere. I'm not suggesting to put the entire music from the mod into the standalone, but short and very "gameplay friendly" tracks. This would improve the atmosphere by A LOT. 

And to give you an idea of what kind of "short tracks" I'm talking about, here's the DayZ Mod soundtrack

Track playing at 2:44 and 3:02 (Suspense 7 and 8) Could be played upon spawning into the game for the first time with a new character.

Track playing at 6:08 (Suspense 18) Could be played at random times during the game

Track played at 19:50 (Suspense 29) Could be played after you die during the death screen,

Those are just examples

And BTW, Music in DayZ (Mod in particular) DID NOT make it impossible to hear your surroundings, even with loud and heavy music playing you could still hear footsteps, gunshots, zombies etc. So with these short and light tracks there should be absolutely no problem.

Edited by Saylor Twift
  • Like 1

Brian Hicks: "DayZ Mod's music was and is not the property of BI, and wasn't put together by the mod team - aside from the fact that I still don't see ingame music as something we should dabble in."

From status report Q&A 26 Nov 2015:

Q: Could you imagine to add some suitable music/sounds to special situation as fog or something like that?

A: We're not really interested in a title enforced music selection. I've talked extensively about this one, but in short - we don't feel the narrative drive to guide the players emotions via music.

Personally: 

I never cared for the mod's cheesy music/sound effects and turned it off immediately. If I want music I listen to stuff I like. Plus, it certainly is a disadvantage. Sometimes I've been saved by soft footsteps I can't even hear in the recording. 

I don't really care because I'll just mute it, but the devs have said they're not interested.

Day Z should not have music. It is a post-apocalyptic "realistic" survival game, music would rip immersion away so fast, my head would spin.

Sound effects, like the wind rushing through trees, or between buildings, would be great, though.

I love to find an old Sony walk man, with a cassette, with some cool music fitting the period. Putting the cassette into the car stereo and driving and singing along with my friends in a car would be very memorable.

A Getto blaster with a cassette would be great too, along the camp-fire, or putting it on a chopper, blasting it from a few wired speakers could be great.

I agree the game needs much more, varied, better environment sounds, impact and contact sounds, and sound carry distance and fall off, reverb, echo etc. The thing is that being alone one starts to really focus on the environment sounds. You could hear animals flee from you and if you pay attention from other players.

Edited by Troll_Hunter
  • Like 1

About the cassette, I just thought of recording a voice message to a tape.

I imagine finding a voice tape recorder at a hospital, listening to a doctor dictating his findings on the deadly disease. Or a recording of the former owner of the piano house, who choose to stay at home, play some piano and await the inevitable fate. Other key spots could have tapes too, building the atmospheric DayZ setting. I also hope to find a tape recorder on a player, who spoke his thoughts on his tape. Maybe he recorded a message for his friend, or a will of some sort.

• Like 1