Sign in to follow this  
Asmondian

More features and activities besside pvp

42E.png

Idea: Dayz standalone must incorporate new features and activities besside pvp combat and weapons looting.

Things like:

• Crafting more things (weapons, attachments, clothes, facepaint, traps, bases, armor protections, armor personalization, etc)
  • Just adding some achievements (steam)
  • Some kind of system of reputation for goals and good/bad behavior
  • Some pasive skills or skill tree wich restart if you die (like unturned) (Example: doctors)
  • Cities or buildings repair (posibility to add lights, generators, etc.)
  • Correct the looting economy (make more realistic)
  • Buildings with realistic side and worn (it looks that dayz architects made builings for single mothers: 1 bedroom, short side bedroom environments, a few huge buildings; all in perfect conditions). If you are in a zombie apocalypse: would you make a base in the middle of the forest far away of any resaurces or you probably find a random huge building and set you base in one fo the floors, loking the doors and putting some barricade?

-:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:-

Why?: Anyone who plays Dayz knows there are 2 games in one:

1) The fateful road to loot, walking and chickens: you enter a server, you walk about 1.5 hours looking for some loot with nothing else to do, you gather some stuff and go to military loot, join with friends or just KAS in some mayor city or try to roleplay waiting some randome guy betray you.

BA7.png

2) Teamplay or just pvp: you have some decent gear or maybe not, but you have your team. It took you like 2 hours to join with them but there you are. Just play for about 15 minutes until a pvp rush in a hot zone and then one or two of your firends die and the game is over, to much work to start all over again, finding some weapon and rejoin. Or, you can win the fight, clear the city and then, kind of tired of no more players went to that city you travel and travel seeking for some action until you die (90% because of your pre existing boredom because you walk like 1 and a half our).

EA7.png

I want the game have more than 2 games in one. If you can give players other objetives you can diversify the game and give a much complete game experience and less frustrating.

-:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:--:-:-

How?: Just with the incorporation of new features more "pasive" and besides the pvp. I know a lot of this ideas are in develop, but i like to know the community thinking about them.

E88.png

Let me hear your thoghts!!!

PDT: Sorry about my english, i try to do my best.

Edited by Asmondian

I agree with the general sentiment, I too want more to do besides pvp. I think the game needs more interesting goals to persue. A simple one would be a high score list an interesting long term goal, A ranking of the number of days survived. The developers should also think about how the player can have noticeable and memorable influence in the Dayz world. For instance building a big fort on a server would be cool. Leading a 'Mad Max' style army / clan would be cool. Restoring a village, town, city to have electricity and to be cleansed of infected could be a big goal too. Off cause gathering a team and rebuilding a helicopter would be nice medium stretch goal to have.

I'm not worried about today's loot balance, though I'm sure they'll test a lot more extreme loot distributions on us, to explore how we respond before they come to a satisfying mix.

I like the idea of 'player skills', allowing players to gain/find expertise in various practical fields, because it makes living players who are experts (much) more valuable. For example: when you need a health expert, to regain full health, KOS will not help. An car mechanic can (re)tune your carburettor on your car. Without a tuned carburettor it runs slow - is unresponsive with lots of smoke and bad milage. An aeroplane mechanic can rebalance the rotary blades of your helicopter, without it your heli violently vibrates and wobbles and spins, and if exceeding a high rpm it will break and you'll crash. In short the experts will have the fully fix the problems, players can only partially fix problems, gaining only say 75-90% of the functionality.

One possible problem I see with Dayz is the quest for too much detail. Detail that leads to meaningless grinding. Now I believe that with Brian Higgs at the helm they went away form Dean's very detailed approach, but still the danger is there in the form of making crafted leather jackets. In real life I would rather disinfect a bunch of infected clothes, then find a cow, kill it, cut and work the hide, find needle and cord and make a crude and badly insulating leather caveman jacket. The difficulty with Dayz is to define the genre. In the game's current state it's about 90% deathmatch. The game designers need to make the game about reaching higher goals, to rise above deathmatch. With tempting and interesting and interconnecting higher goals, with their short to long play time requirements, players will be motivated and lured into attempting increasing more difficult and risky endeavours. With a personal and challenging goal in my mind, encounters with other players become more interesting and meaningful. Do I need help, what is her goal, can we work together, will they steal my stuff, will they force me to complete their goal, what are they up to, shall I join them? As the goals become more difficult, the time needed, risk and tension rises, and high stakes encounters can become very dramatic and memorable.

Edited by Troll_Hunter
  • Like 1

Very well presented, but I'm going to be that guy. DayZ is feature incomplete. It is in alpha.

Crafting more things (weapons, attachments, clothes, facepaint, traps, bases, armor protections, armor personalization, etc)

I don't doubt there'll be more crafting options in the future. To what extent I do not know, but given that there's a scant handful of crafting options now, I assume we'll get more down the line.

Just adding some achievements (steam)

I don't see why this is important but, again, I suspect DayZ will eventually get achievements. If it doesn't I don't think I'll lose any sleep, mind.

Some kind of system of reputation for goals and good/bad behavior

This will never happen. Mods, maybe, but never for the base game.

Some pasive skills or skill tree wich restart if you die (like unturned) (Example: doctors)

Soft skills are planned.

Cities or buildings repair (posibility to add lights, generators, etc.)

Planned, as far as I know.

Correct the looting economy (make more realistic)

Vague, but the loot economy will see incremental changes.

Buildings with realistic side and worn (it looks that dayz architects made builings for single mothers: 1 bedroom, short side bedroom environments, a few huge buildings; all in perfect conditions). If you are in a zombie apocalypse: would you make a base in the middle of the forest far away of any resaurces or you probably find a random huge building and set you base in one fo the floors, loking the doors and putting some barricade?

Not certain what exactly this means. Chernarus is a post-Soviet shithole - most people don't seem to even have plumbing. Houses are bound to be small. More destruction would be nice, and I seem to recall devs saying there will be 'destruction passes' where they go through the map and add ruined buildings and things like that. Barricading buildings is planned.

21 hours ago, BeefBacon said:

Just adding some achievements (steam)

I don't see why this is important but, again, I suspect DayZ will eventually get achievements. If it doesn't I don't think I'll lose any sleep, mind.

First of all, thx for the feedback.

We must remember that Dayz is a GAME and a game must entertain the player. Of curse i dont want to Dayz SA looses his realism and survival background. This kind of stuff can provide an extra game experience. You can meet teammates and check other players "reputation" by looking at his steam profiles and know their achievments. Example: you can identify a friendly guy and invite to play by cheking his "hero achievements". You can bring new objetives to the players (complete a full weapon, discover X part of the map, hunting achievements, crafting achievements, etc.). If you incorporate more features to the game but the players only loot and pvp, the game becomes monotonous and a huge demotivation for a) New players who dont know the game or have a team and they are killed in his first trip to a city b) Players with no full pvp intentions c) People who want to explote the game at his limits.

09E.jpg

Some kind of system of reputation for goals and good/bad behavior

This will never happen. Mods, maybe, but never for the base game.

But why not? In Dayz Arma 2 mod it was one of the leitmotivs of the game. To become a hero or a bandit, to be trusted or scared. If the game keep "not rewarding" actitudes and actions all the Dayz atmosphere of "survival, near extintión experiencie" is going to turn useless and empty, becoming what the game now a dayz is: a looting + pvp only. I do not mean clothes must change or have some kind of medall system, but if you can have some prize or different feature because of your behaivor (Example: you can use saline 2 times, you can paint your gun, your face go cleaner or dirty, or bloddy or not, your face hair grow and you have to hide from other players, just details, not a "ranked system") the game experience will incresses a lot.

817.jpg

Correct the looting economy (make more realistic)

Vague, but the loot economy will see incremental changes.

What a mean was the loot should be placed in spots that in real life we could expected to be. You dont find a coke or a battery placing on a bed, or a M4 in the middle of the street or bagpacks in the roof of a car. Cheking drawers, closet, gun stores,support-hunting weapon on the walls its what im talking about. You can extract car parts from existings cars, you can go to the near empty gunstore and fin some ammo. I think chernarus must become more functional and less a copy of asome book city.

EE5.jpg

Buildings with realistic side and worn (it looks that dayz architects made builings for single mothers: 1 bedroom, short side bedroom environments, a few huge buildings; all in perfect conditions). If you are in a zombie apocalypse: would you make a base in the middle of the forest far away of any resaurces or you probably find a random huge building and set you base in one fo the floors, loking the doors and putting some barricade?

Not certain what exactly this means. Chernarus is a post-Soviet shithole - most people don't seem to even have plumbing. Houses are bound to be small. More destruction would be nice, and I seem to recall devs saying there will be 'destruction passes' where they go through the map and add ruined buildings and things like that. Barricading buildings is planned.

It´s means that there must be more "institutional buildings" or closes ones, where the light, even at dayztime, cant get in. All chernarus buildings seems to be "open to the public", with huge windows in each direction, no closes environments and 0 destruction in doors, walls, beds, etc. Houses, hospitals, everything seems to be perfect, like nothing had happend. Im thinking in more "hard acces obscure builidings", where you can set a base, be inside, and where you can only be seen or hear if other player came inside. You should use a flashlight, a weapon flashlight or a torch to see inside and loot. 

Just try to walk in any building in chernarus with another player outside. They all can hear your foot steps, they can see you moving. Thats not realisic and conspire to the posibility of finding a place to hide, walk inside a huge builiding fearing there can be something or someone when you open that dark door. This will give the game more role play an darkness. I think other games and the game "miscreated" at night (i dont like the hole game but in this feature i think did a great work) have something to offer:

20E.png

Again, sorry for my english capacity, i try to do my best.

Thx again for your feedback.

Edited by Asmondian