nudelwalker

This technique would be better for zombie spawning, enabling more zombies per encounter and boosting server fps:

This is how it would be the best:

Back in the Mod days Zombies where spawned once a player came close to a city / any spawnpoint.

Upside: lots of zombies possible

Downside: you can figure out if a player is in a city by looking if there are any Zeds around.

Now in SA we have Zombies who are spawned at the same time across the whole map, existing even though nobody is near!

Now how about we mix the best of both worlds?

Lets say we use the old mod technique again, but just add a little amount of fix spawned zombies here and there, chosen by a random chance function?

This way you can never be sure if the zombies u see in a city mean that there is somebody around, or if they have just been spawned there by the server at random!

The more you randomize a propability, the more unpredictable it becomes.

I think this way we can easily free some server FPS and at the same time encounter more zombies.

What do you think?

I think you lack the knowledge of game design in general..

don't get me wrong.. the idea is good.. but MORE stuff (zombies) on the server.. will NOT be a boost in FPS... it will decrease since the game engine has more stuff to do.. and in current build.. (even with the new rendering engine coming in 3-4 weeks) the overal power will not be big enough to host such abundant resources on the server. and 'randomized' is another game mechanical part that could 'break' 

I think the devs will not (at least not until 1.0) incorp. something like this into the game, for the simple fact that it puts to much strain on the game.. AND they'd have to modify that concept from the mod.
and that in turn could takes several WEEKS at least.

so long story short: cute idea, but probably to complex/time consuming to put into the game. since their looking for other ways to put hordes in the game already (did you see the latest video on the dev channel?) 

No, I've told them devs that they have to do it my way. And that's what they do!

unless they allow us a headless client setup, we cant afford to have too much of a server load.

We have to be very careful here.....

Not that your ideas are not good, just there is many limits to what we can do and the more "fluff" we add will reduce everything to the point of rubber banding.

Already we have seen this in dayz, its just a matter of time it will come back again.

Open world stuff can be brutal, this is why zones where much better in MMO technology used in 1998. with 225xkm x 225km open world sandbox.... it is a huge load on us with Infected + AI