Sign in to follow this  
Ultimoses

Light still shining through walls in 0.60?

Hey folks, as I'm a big fan of nighttime gameplay with artificial lightsources like flashlights, i wonder wether or not light will still be shining through any wall in 0.60. I am aware that probably no one really knows (besides the devs ofc), but maybe i missed some information about it and someone can help me out?

Nobody can clearly say..

Not even baby Jesus.

Back in 2015 when the new renderer was discussed the devs mentioned they are hoping for better lighting indoors. So definitely there wil be some improvement.

As for light shining through meshes - it might be simply bad modeling. If the modeler didn't snap, e.g. the roof to the walls, there might be a tiny gap - invisible to the eye  - but still enough to let a beam of light slip through. I've only noticed these lighting problems in certain houses, so I guess the model is to blame. If it will be fixed - who knows. But a lot of these models are old (ARMA-series) and have not been re-worked too carefully when interiors were added. If it was a general rendering issue, it would show on all building edges. Guess it's just sloppy modeling for now and won't really go away by another renderer. But if this is a geometry fix, it would literally take 5 minutes to do it. This kind of polish is for beta, nor alpha stage, though. 

A reminder: Dayz wants to go to Beta in Q2 - which has just started. Since they didn't change that, I expect Dayz to reach Beta stage within the next three months. Several miracles have to happen ;)

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 2

The last time I checked light really went through EVERY wall, not only through some tiny gaps here and there. For example, when standing in front of a wall and pointing a flashlight right at it, the room behind the wall will be illuminated, too, like there is no wall at all. But maybe it's been fixed for ages and i just got to test it out ingame, although I never heard anything about this. I'm basically just hoping that this issue will be adressed by the work on the general lighting for 0.60.   

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, ultimoses said:

The last time I checked light really went through EVERY wall, not only through some tiny gaps here and there. For example, when standing in front of a wall and pointing a flashlight right at it, the room behind the wall will be illuminated, too, like there is no wall at all. But maybe it's been fixed for ages and i just got to test it out ingame, although I never heard anything about this. I'm basically just hoping that this issue will be adressed by the work on the general lighting for 0.60.   

Oh dynamic lights. I thought you were refering to the global illumination from the sky. Because there are certain buildings that have light shining into them at day. I was refering to those invisible gaps in walls. 

Yeah, the flashlight problems should be completely resolved. I can't see a reason why not. In one article they spoke about adding more dynamic lights to the environment. They wouldn't do that, if there were still problems. And they have a new model for occulsion. It should also work in tandem with the lighting, so I guess that's fixed. I'm not sure where the energy comes from, but seeing some houses or streets lit will simply look awesome. Somewhere a nuclear reactor surely is still going ;)

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1