Sign in to follow this  
Chevelle

Its Hard Driving In Dayz!

Right click and repair your tires from pristine up to the top of pristine every time you stop, make a jump, or touch any object; this will maintain maximum traction and PTW .  Don't top out your gears, or you will lose traction; this is important when terrain types and grades chance suddenly.  Speaking of terrain, try to avoid driving through fields that are inconsistent; mixes of rocky and grassy materials is a poor surface for maintaining traction, especially while attempting to steer.  When in doubt, slow down; you can easily regain your speed in most cases.  In cases where speed is valuable, such as when approaching hills, sacrificing a bit of speed for a lower gear will pay off; if the hill is steep enough to make you backslide, it can also trap your vehicle on trees or rocks.  If you like running around at the top of fourth gear, try downshifting a few seconds before you try to steer.  Once you can predict what different surfaces and speeds will behave like, the focus becomes keeping your tires in full repair, and limiting your alcohol intake.

I wasn't driving in this video but nice information anyway. My buddy refused to let me drive and then wreaked the vehicle.

It will happen.  It's just a matter of how long between wrecks, and if everything possible has been done to avoid wrecking.  In this case, I didn't see much repairing of the wheels happening.  Feel free to blame your friend for not keeping the tires in good repair; it makes a world of difference.

Yeah we usually try to keep a spare tire in the car as well as a tire repair kit but sometimes your just out of luck. It was a fun adventure even if he wreaked the car. The funny part is we were supposed to go to berezino but ended up in elektro. 

By the way we did end up making it to berezino 2 houra later lol.

shifting should be done by arrow keys. Has this changed any different? q and e just doesn't seem correct to me.

I know its a WIP but it should be moved to the arrow keys. R for reverse, and F for forward. also you should be even able to use a steering wheel if you have that setup.

I haven't even tried to remap those steering wheels yet.

40 minutes ago, sneakydude said:

shifting should be done by arrow keys. Has this changed any different? q and e just doesn't seem correct to me.

I know its a WIP but it should be moved to the arrow keys. R for reverse, and F for forward. also you should be even able to use a steering wheel if you have that setup.

I haven't even tried to remap those steering wheels yet.

I agree the gear shifting is a bit awkward, but I disagree that the arrow keys should be used. For me personally, I use the keyboard to steer. If the arrows were used to shift, I would either have to move my mouse hand to shift or not be able to steer as I'm shifting. That would be even more awkward, at least for me personally. Maybe a middle of the road solution would work, where you can shift with q and e, and the arrows. Similar to how you can steer either with the mouse or keyboard. That way you can drive and shift however your comfortable. I wonder why they made all of the vehicles manual to begin with. Only trucks and buses should be manual in my opinion. 

Edited by JBURNS489
  • Like 1

standard is the default vehicle in North America, you actually have to pay to have it upgraded to automatic. I believe most companies charge 1000.00 for that in Canada. So i am not sure what Texas sells their vehicles for, or what is standard options there.

Most vehicles are standard, we choose to be automatic. We do forget this.

What am i talking about, in Texas you drive horses :) jking

Edited by sneakydude
  • Like 1

haha love the Texas joke. I grew up outside of Philadelphia, and I really did think everyone rode horses to work and school before I moved here. Anyway, the most common transmission type in North America is BY FAR an automatic. It is hard to even find a new car with a standard transmission in the U.S. Besides that, your point is still valid though because this game is European, and Europeans DO drive standard a lot more than automatics, according to google :) That answers my question why everything is a manual in the game

Edited by JBURNS489
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, JBURNS489 said:

haha love the Texas joke. I grew up outside of Philadelphia, and I really did think everyone rode horses to work and school before I moved here. Anyway, the most common transmission type in North America is BY FAR an automatic. It is hard to even find a new car with a standard transmission in the U.S. Besides that, your point is still valid though because this game is European, and Europeans DO drive standard a lot more than automatics, according to google :) That answers my question why everything is a manual in the game

when you buy a car its not standard first? then pay to have it upgraded?

Here you have to pay like 1000 to have a automatic. Guess we are being ripped off, but your right everyone upgrades to automatic.

I learned the hard way 1.5 ton truck, on 5 gear standard. Heavy truck, with a very old setup. I believe it was a 350 engine, GM approx 60's and man i learned it well. I think that is why i am a decent driver after 30 years because my father forced me to drive him around in the big truck.

Ugly as sin, but it was a decent truck to drive, and very hard to control. Good learning for someone so young as i was. This was about 30 years ago now. I was about 15, and when i turned 16 i was forced to get my license with it. Of coarse they made me drive it on a huge hill. I ended up spilling his coffee onto his lap. Oh was he pissed off :)

I still got my license though........ Scored well he said, and i apologized till i was blue in the face :)

• Like 1