Sign in to follow this  
trankin

cooking fish?

So quick question. i have been dabbling with fishing in dayz and i have come across a problem. when i cook the fish the icon changes to a cooked looking fish but the name of the item is still raw fish or what ever its called. is the food cooked or is it still raw? because it looks cooked just not called cooked. if that makes sense.  should i stay away from eating fish for now?

It's fine to eat... once the graphic has turned you can eat it. 

• Like 3

If you prepare it on the long stick over fire you can burn the fish/meat too much and get food poisoning from it. There are basically three stages: raw/cooked/burnt. If the fish or meat looks black-ish better not eat it. When you get "I have a funny taste in my mouth", the best thing is to look for charcoal quickly, before you get sick. If you have food poisoning and no charcoal tablettes, all you can do is wait it off (best near a fire + with plenty of food and water to keep energy levels up). 

-> I haven't tried, if vegetables can make you sick. They can be cooked, too. 

When you cook in a pot, all you have to remember is to put water into it and then add the meat/fish/veg. In a pot you cannot overcook or burn anything; you only have to check there is still water in the pot, or else stuff inside gets ruined. Pots are good for larger quantities of meat, as the water stays hot and you can quickly cook whole batches of anything. Pots can be attached to tripods, or placed on stone ovens (combine 8 big rocks -> you need a pickaxe to mine those from boulders + fireplace), you can also "poke holes into barrel" and place a fireplace inside, pot on top. The easiest way to cook is with a camping stove, but lately the gas has been adjusted and those gas canisters run out pretty quickly.   

Edited by S3V3N
  • Like 1

All information above is correct 

Here is a little more info on fishing and trapping to help you out 

My experience is: When you have a full filled Pot (all slots filled and 100% water) the meat (or whatever else you cook) is ready after 4% water loss (96% water filled).   

Edited by mammut (DayZ)

On 20-3-2016 at 0:15 PM, S3V3N said:

If you prepare it on the long stick over fire you can burn the fish/meat too much and get food poisoning from it. There are basically three stages: raw/cooked/burnt. If the fish or meat looks black-ish better not eat it. When you get "I have a funny taste in my mouth", the best thing is to look for charcoal quickly, before you get sick. If you have food poisoning and no charcoal tablettes, all you can do is wait it off (best near a fire + with plenty of food and water to keep energy levels up). 

-> I haven't tried, if vegetables can make you sick. They can be cooked, too. 

When you cook in a pot, all you have to remember is to put water into it and then add the meat/fish/veg. In a pot you cannot overcook or burn anything; you only have to check there is still water in the pot, or else stuff inside gets ruined. Pots are good for larger quantities of meat, as the water stays hot and you can quickly cook whole batches of anything. Pots can be attached to tripods, or placed on stone ovens (combine 8 big rocks -> you need a pickaxe to mine those from boulders + fireplace), you can also "poke holes into barrel" and place a fireplace inside, pot on top. The easiest way to cook is with a camping stove, but lately the gas has been adjusted and those gas canisters run out pretty quickly.   

thanx my nephews both got poisoned but we had charcoil and they used it both before becomming sick i think one of my nephews used it 2 times because he still had the mouth message going on

Edited by Gomandow71

Maybe i'm doing this wrong.  I made a fireplace, I had 4 boar steaks (only cooked 2) they were pristine and 80 something%.  I tried it on a stick, I got the option the "poke stick at fire" I did that and drug the meat to the stick in the inventory.  The meat never changed     colors, so I tried it this way. I dragged them into the fireplace, the inventory square turned red, I never saw the steaks color change.  They went to ruined tho, so I did not eat it. 

What am I doing wrong.  Between this and growing veggies failing.  I'm not being a good survivor. 

Thanks mike

Nevermind, I figured it out.  I used a cooking tripod and pot and moved the steak into the pot then put the pot on the tripod and it worked fine.

Edited by mkiker
I figured out what I was doing wrong