Aquanoise

Issue with base building and helicopters

Issue with base building and helicopters  

10 members have voted

1. 1. what should be done about helicopters and basebuidling?

• Nothing, if you don't build a big camp no helicopter will find it.
    • Change rendering so you can't see camps from the sky when flying in a helicopter
    • Don't add helicopters, they don't belong in Dayz

One of the things that always bothered me in Dayz mod was that you couldn't make a big camp because players in helicopters abused the render distance of the tree branches (by flying high so branches don't render) to easily find camps of other players. 

In the mod this resulted in most players having small stashes of gear across the map with some gear to avoid being raided by players with helicopters, after seeing the concept art about base building in standalone it seems like you're not only going to be able to build camps but also (small) bases. With helicopters and tree rendering working like in the mod this would ruin basebuilding.

waht do you guys think?

Yes, up there with the  topic of gamma/brightness at night time abuse. I wonder what we will see in the future for these ideas.. I'm super duper hoping this renderer fixes a tonne of the bullshit things that curse this game. That's my little whimsical 2 cents :D 

On 2/18/2016 at 2:01 PM, Aquanoise said:

One of the things that always bothered me in Dayz mod was that you couldn't make a big camp because players in helicopters abused the render distance of the tree branches (by flying high so branches don't render) to easily find camps of other players. 

In the mod this resulted in most players having small stashes of gear across the map with some gear to avoid being raided by players with helicopters, after seeing the concept art about base building in standalone it seems like you're not only going to be able to build camps but also (small) bases. With helicopters and tree rendering working like in the mod this would ruin basebuilding.

waht do you guys think?

There's also talk of underground stashing, even if that will be limited. I'd see that replacing those bright white camping tents pretty quickly, especially if they don't give us options to like smear mud or spray paint items like that. Far as the structure outline, that's definitely going to depend on the render-er. We could very likely be forced underground and underwater if it's otherwise.

I think barrels will always be a pain to see though, especially color appropriate. So that's something.

Far as base building, still not sold on the classic version of base building being worth the extra footprint. Need more context I think.

Well, at the moment, you can't see any tent if you're not in a 100 or 150m perimeter...

The problem with choppers is that there is not a single forest in the game with a real canopy which make impossible for helicopters to see under the woods...

That's the main problem for me.

We need real dark thick forest :)